NEWS You Can Use Happening at our VA Forum ...

Learn about all the resources here at our network by watching this 30 minute video walkthrough...
CLICK HERE TO WATCH NOW

Want to Become a VA?
Invest in The VBSS!
How Do YOU Startup A

Are You a VAinsider?
Virtual Assistant Organization Association
Upgrade Your FREE Account & Receive Today...
* Access to Our Job Board *
* VA Training Webinars*
* Group Coaching *
* Monthly MotiVAtor *
* Private Mastermind Area *
* Business Templates *
* Contracts & Forms*
*System Sheets & eBooks *
* Seminar Archives *
* Plus VAinsider Perks! *
UPGRADE HERE

FREE Sample Chapter

HootSuite - Social Media Dashboard

Affordable online backup for your small business

Click to see your AD here!

Virtual Assistant Search Engine Directory - Add Your Link

Cool Virtual Assistant of the month!

Get Your FREE VA
Member Button Here!

Photo

Magic Jack - Are you using it? Pro's and Con's

7 replies to this topic

#1 jodie burdette

jodie burdette

• 753 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 03:54 PM

I need to change my phone provider in a few months and I looking very hard at MagicJack. I would love to hear from those of you who are using it. What do you love? What do you hate? Were you able to take your phone number with you?

Thanks!

Jodie "Why do people say they want to sleep like a baby when babies never sleep thru the night? I wanna sleep like an old man in a Southern Baptist Church on Sunday!" Burdette

#2 virginia m

virginia m

• 258 posts

• View My Facebook Profile Facebook

Posted 19 October 2010 - 06:25 PM

I've used a MagicJack for over 2 years and love it. You do need to be sure you have a fairly good Internet connection but even when my DSL connection was so slow it will hardly load a page, my MJ worked fine. The minimum upload speed is 128 kb/s and mine gets well below that from time to time.

When I travel, it goes with my computer and I can use either a phone or headset. It also is capable of 911 if it is set up in your area. Another perk, I have voicemail set to go to my email so I can listen to messages via my cell phone or computer.

I've only had a couple of problems....when I was doing Get Clients Now weekly teleconference meetings, I had to use the MJ teleconferencing but it was free just no bells or whistles. And, a really cheap phone (a $6 to $7 one) doesn't work as well as a more expensive one.

I live in WV and there wasn't a local exchange so I had to take a number from one of the larger towns. According to the MJ web page, you will be able to keep your land line phone number in the near future.

Hope this helps.

#3 Yoana

Yoana

• 65 posts

• My Twitter ID Twitter

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:57 AM

Hi Jodie,

I don't use Magic Jack, but I just blogged today about landline alternatives; http://wfhva.wordpre...at-phone-line/. It's using Google Voice/Chat.

Are you switching to find a lower priced alternative?

#4 lisa b

lisa b

• 2 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:06 AM

I need to change my phone provider in a few months and I looking very hard at MagicJack. I would love to hear from those of you who are using it. What do you love? What do you hate? Were you able to take your phone number with you?

Thanks!

Jodie "Why do people say they want to sleep like a baby when babies never sleep thru the night? I wanna sleep like an old man in a Southern Baptist Church on Sunday!" Burdette

Hi Jodie!

I've loved MagicJack since 2007 and have only had two issues with it. The first issue was that when forwarding my number to my cell, the connection would have a 'crackle' sound. Image someone talking to you & having a bag of chips being crumpled in front of the mouth piece at the same time. Secondly, for a short while people couldn't leave VM messages. The problems were easily fixed with an re-installation of MJ and (by my choice) a new office phone. Considering a second number for a fax line.

Hope that helps.

#5 jodie burdette

jodie burdette

• 753 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 02:10 PM

Holy Crap, Jenny! I am in WV too. What part of the state do you call home? I live about 25 miles north of Charleston. Why did you have to use MJ teleconferencing service? Was there some reason you couldn't use another service?

Yoana, yes I am looking for a cheaper alternative to my current service. I really like Via-Talk, which is a VOIP service, but their prices have gone up each of the last two years.

So far MJ sounds very promising. I have a few months before I have to make a decision so if anyone can share their experience with MJ I would love to hear it.

Jodie "Wishes there was a single dose shot that would melt away all the fat, make you tone and inject motivation to keep it that way. Is that too much to ask?" Burdette

#6 lindah

lindah

Long Time Member

• 1,071 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:39 PM

Jodie & Jenny

Hello. I was born and lived in West Virginia for a few years before our family moved to Virginia. I still have tons of relatives in West Virginia and have to go through Charleston to visit some of them.

Jodie, maybe the next time I go through Charleston, I will try to remember to contact you and possible we could meet up. Jenny depending on where you are possibly meet with you also.

Sorry I can't help you with any information on the Magic Jack.

#7 Guest_aplusadmin_*

Guest_aplusadmin_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2010 - 08:42 PM

This is an interesting thread...never thought about using MagicJack or even using it for travel purposes...interesting.

Like I tell my kids you learn something new every day!

Thanks!

#8 jaimeann

jaimeann

• 10 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 02:58 PM

I have a magic jack but have found myself using skype more and more. The thing that was killing me with the magic jack is that I was unable to connect to conference calls. I have not had the time to find the reasoning behind it but I opted to use skype instead.

Has anyone else had this same issue?

Jaime :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users