Virtuacity

Mail Collection and Forwarding for Clients

Hey girls

Just wondering if anyone has provided your address/P.O. Box to clients to use as their address, so that they can have all their company mail sent to that address for you to check on a weekly basis and forward to them? I have several clients interested in this, and would like to know your experience with doing this and if you are using a P.O. Box?

Thanks!

Renee Cornick

Virtuacity

Hi Renee

I personally do not offer this service. I can not speak for other VA's but i would not feel comfortable offering this to clients.

Cathy

ReaySolutions

Renee,

Hmmm, I can't think of a good sound business reason (that's beneficial to me) to allow a client to use my business mailing address. I say keep the boundaries clean and clear. There are too many stories of mail forwarding scams that I'm sure you're putting these good practices in place and being cautious.

~Ruth

I would not allow clients to use my mailing address for their businesses. It could be very difficult to untangle later.

I work for associations that often don't have physical offices. I have set up P.O. boxes in their names at my local Post Office to pick up and process their mail. They pay the annual fees. I'm not just checking their mail and forwarding it--I'm handling event registrations, memberships, etc. An alternative would be to use a service like UPS Store/Mail Boxes Etc.

Is this what your clients are asking you to do?

Scammers often request mail forwarding, and I suspect that's one of the things others here are concerned about.

Keep separate--and safe!

Ramona

I would definitely not use my mailing address. I have someone who is setting up a busines here who wants to utilize my virtual assistant services, but wants to have an address here so any mail relating to his business can go to me. I would then check the mailbox weekly and forward any necessary mail to his location. I guess the best thing is to get them to purchase the mailbox, and I will charge them my monthly fee to check it regularly and forward any mail. Do you charge them for the mailbox and then go set it up in their name? Or do you just tell them to contact the Post office?

Thanks for the great advice!

Renee

Edited by Virtuacity

Since my clients are out-of-state, I went to the local P.O. and filled out the necessary forms as their agent. You might want to pick up a copy of the application (or get a copy online from www.usps.com) so you and your clients are prepared for the questions that are asked.

I charge my contract rate for checking the box, and the clients either pay the annual box fees directly or I pay them and request reimbursement. I also request postage reimbursement on items that I forward.

No matter how hard we try to get around it, there are always a few things that still require snail mail!

Ramona

I have a few clients that use my PO Box for some of their mail. Their address of record is their business address with mine as their mailing address. I wouldn't do this for a new client I was just getting to know and I don't offer this as a service. But, some things it's easier for me to get myself instead of relying on them to forward to me.

I also will do mail pickup for local clients who have their own PO box (I guess if one of my clients wanted to move their mail delivery to my local PO Box I would). I deal with bookkeeping so I get a large volume or mail (bills, payroll forms, etc.) for my clients so it just makes it easier for them to have me get it directly.

I would not however, market this service and I wouldn't provide it for someone who I didn't already work with.

I would suggest the PO Box in their name but your location also. Maybe you want to check out that link that Sherra suggested. I never knew an animal like that existed. How do you think they show you your mail online but never open it?? Scarey, huh?

We used to offer this service and stopped offering it after a visit from the Police Fraud Squad who said that one of my clients was committing "long fraud". I'd never heard of this but apparently it consists of setting up a number of bogus companies to give each other trade references and build up a credit history so that you can then take delivery of expensive stock or goods and run off without paying.

I'd done everything right - I'd checked their home address by sending a letter there, I'd taken a copy of their passport, and two forms of address ID, and I hadn't signed for any goods on behalf of the company. but it's still not something I would ever want to be involved in.

I doubt Mailboxes Etc or the Post Office ask for any more security than I did, but they have the protection of their locations being well known and obviously not a company address, which makes others more suspicious - one of the reasons why we had been targeted by this fraudulent client was because our mailing address was not well known as a mail box address and would raise less suspicions. If anyone is reluctant to use a mailbox, beware!

Hello 

On 8/30/2009 at 3:23 PM, Virtuacity said:

Hey girls

Just wondering if anyone has provided your address/P.O. Box to clients to use as their address, so that they can have all their company mail sent to that address for you to check on a weekly basis and forward to them? I have several clients interested in this, and would like to know your experience with doing this and if you are using a P.O. Box?

Thanks!

Renee Cornick

Virtuacity

Hello Renee,

Nice meeting you! I understand your concerns, I wouldn't recommend you to do something like this, I might suggest to your clients to have there mail forwarded to a third party that receive their USPS postal mails and packages for them, scan them and send them via a platform (which you can access for them later), filter what you need from what you want to open, to what you want to shred and recycle, or even forwarded to a certain address! I think it is very professional to do so, just like emails. I personally use postscan mail as they are cheap and reliable... Tell me what you think?