How to discover your niche

Hello all,

I have been thinking long and hard on this. I have worked accounting/finance/budgeting since 2001, mostly in gov't. I can crack the crap out of it and it pays the bills, but it isn't what I do best. I am best at solving problems. I need to figure out if there is a market for this, because sometimes I feel like I am crackers. Let me explain... since 2009 I have run a side craft business out of my home, in addition to a 40 hr week day job. The crafts keep me sane because when accounting/finance doesn't let me be creative I craft-therapy. But one thing that has been a constant is throughout my career and my craft business I have always had people turn to me when they need a creative solution.

I have been called upon in business settings in groups or solo to evaluate business process and work out process improvements. I worked for a state agency for 1 year and was able to turn their capital asset management system into a high efficient machine. Where before there were 3 people who could not keep up with it, I made it so 1.5 people was all that was needed and I worked hard but was able to hit inventory targets with ease. Organizing my coat closet...nope, but organizing people and events, I am TOTALLY on it! And I like the ability to not be in the same spot and figured that might actually give me the opportunity to do a little travel and get out of the house :) I was thinking of starting local and since I am in a buzzing metropolis just 30 miles outside of major cities in my state, I figured I have options :)

Do you think there is a market for this?

• Like 1

On 4/27/2010 at 12:27 AM, Guest said:

Just remember that sometimes your niche doesn't become obvious for some time. It took me 3 years before I came across mine - I didn't know that type of client existed and it was only by chance I found out but it then helped me define what I liked and didn't like.

So true.. so true.. in my case it happened the same. It took me 3 years to realize what I am good at. I've tried all the niches. Learned about them all. I know I can do them all, but what fulfills me is just one thing ( or two) :D.

But what Tawnya said must definitely be put to work.