Sign in to follow this  
leisag

Real-time, Real time or Realtime?

I am trying to write something, and I keep seeing a variety of acceptable forms of "real time". According to the latest Wikkipedia entry, it is now one word: realtime

However, I haven't seen it as one word very often. Does anyone know which of the three it is?

Thank you in advance.

Leisa

I am trying to write something, and I keep seeing a variety of acceptable forms of "real time". According to the latest Wikkipedia entry, it is now one word: realtime

However, I haven't seen it as one word very often. Does anyone know which of the three it is?

Thank you in advance.

Leisa

I tend to use real-time. I agree with you that I don't see it as one word very often either. Hopefully someone else will be able to chime in for you, but otherwise I say just go with whatever works for you. I don't think any of them are necessarily "wrong" (but someone else may disagree with me!).

For those of you who occasionally need assistance with grammar, I would suggest that you purchase "The Gregg Reference Manual" by William A. Sabin. Yes, I have this book as one of my reference books when I need help and I am unable to remember some of those "pesky grammar rules".

Leisa, you are talking about a compound word and according to "The Gregg Reference Manual" [section 816 -Adjective + noun]:

"a. Hyphenate an adjective and a noun when these elements serve as a compound modifier before a noun. Do not hyphenate these elements when they play a normal role elsewhere in the sentence [for example, as the object of a proposition or of a verb]. However, if the expression continues to function as a compound adjective, retain the hyphen.

examples:

before the noun: high-speed printers

elsewhere in the sentence: These printers run at high speed. [object of preposition]

before the noun: a long-term investment in bonds

elsewhere in the sentence: This investment in bonds runs for a long term. [object of preposition] BUT: This investment in bonds is long-term. [Compound adjective]

before the noun: a plain-paper fax

elsewhere in the sentence: Please be sure to order a fax that uses plain paper. [object of verb]

b. A few compound adjectives in this category are now written solid --for example: a commonsense solution, a freshwater pond, a surefire success"

Leisa so ultimately it will depend on how you are using the words "real" and "time" in your sentence.

I hope this helps.

Thanks also, Linda. I have a very old Gregg Reference at home. I probably should update. I have been using the hyphen to indicate an adjective and a noun describing another noun.

Yes, some grammar rules are pesky. Thanks again, Amanda and Linda.

As a proofreader, I rely more on style manuals and dictionaries than wikkis. Merriam-Webster and Oxford dictionaries both list real time (two words) as the noun version of current time. The adjective is hyphenated as in this real-time example.

Debbie Lynn

As a proofreader, I rely more on style manuals and dictionaries than wikkis. Merriam-Webster and Oxford dictionaries both list real time (two words) as the noun version of current time. The adjective is hyphenated as in this real-time example.

Debbie Lynn

Debbie, You are my English teacher! :thumbup: I have only 6+ years experience in English language writing, reading and speaking. I am still a student and also

I've got a little headache figuring out the difference between American English and British English

I enjoy a free software named lingoes dictionary of lingoesdotnet, it's very comfortable to use.

Jason