infinityweb

Would you hire Filipino VA’s?

22 posts in this topic

Hi again fellow VA’s,

As the title suggest, if you own an online business, would you prefer to outsource VA’s from Philippines?

Lemme’ know your opinions. Thanks ;)

Edited by infinityweb

LOL.. Why not Filipinos are hardworking are they not? And they are known to be very friendly and easy to work with. Many business owners are outsourcing their businesses and getting virtual personal assistants from the Philippines.

Cheers!

Tina

CatchFriday

1 person likes this

Please don't take this personally but no I wouldn't.

I live in the United States and I'm from Canada. Someone from another country that has never lived in North America just won't understand alot of what is the common and accepted way of doing things here. I think that teaching the foreign VA these things would be more work than it's worth when I could get someone from my own country and not have to go through all that work.

I also think that Americans should buy American, Canadians should buy Canadian, etc. I think supporting the country you live in is extremely important especially in an economy as difficult as it is right now in the US.

If they are qualified to do the work then why not. I know that many US business owners want to now hire in the US but I believe it is more of the communication issues then the experience issues.

Lee

Well, I just advised one of my clients to hire an Asian VA to do some data entry work that they can do for 1/10th the hourly rate as me. For this project, its a much better use of time and resources than for me to take hours of of my week and transfer information from a Word document to an Excel document. Could I do it? Yeah. Do I want to? No, not at all.

In some instances, using off-shore is fine, but I really believe if you're an American, Canadian or European-based business person, you should have a VA that you won't have any language barriers with. And honestly - having one that understands how business works in their own country is a priceless thing to have.

1 person likes this

I think outsourcing is really a personal choice for everyone and everyone will have different reasons if they would or would not outsource overseas. Neither are right or wrong. No different than some will shop at Walmart and others won't.

I have outsourced to Philippines, UK, Australia and India for my clients and for my business and had fantastic results. Wherever I can find the expert they need. For example the guy who maintains our forum is from Nepal and he knows this forum backend stuff inside/out so that is why I outsource to him, not because of where he lives.

1 person likes this

Please don't take this personally but no I wouldn't.

I live in the United States and I'm from Canada. Someone from another country that has never lived in North America just won't understand alot of what is the common and accepted way of doing things here. I think that teaching the foreign VA these things would be more work than it's worth when I could get someone from my own country and not have to go through all that work.

I also think that Americans should buy American, Canadians should buy Canadian, etc. I think supporting the country you live in is extremely important especially in an economy as difficult as it is right now in the US.

You have a point there, however, some business owners take risks of hiring Filipino VAs because they are cost effective, hard working and also highly trainable.

It depends on the type of work I need done. Bookkeeping? No - American accounting procedures are different from other countries (I won't do accounting work for other countries - same reasoning). Just about everything else? Yep - experience is what counts with me, not location.

3 people like this

Communication wise, I think Filipinos are better than any Asian countries.

They are highly trainable, and most of them know how to mimic accents from other countries.

..And, of course, the cost of labour in the Philippines is quite low compared to India/other countries..

I honestly think it could be a great idea. My passion personally is bestowing knowledge onto others and seeing them have a comfortable lifestyle. I would definitely take the time to mentor the right person.

You will possibly hear an argument that we should only hire within our country because of the economy. I would refute that by saying, as a VA in a global space, we take a little bit from the United States, a little bit from Canada, England, New Zealand and we give a little bit to the Philippines. So it is actually bringing money into the local economy. Otherwise we wouldn't be in business long!

Not only that, but it may also put food on the table for a Filipino and further their education. If you're worried about money leaving the country, ask yourself this. Do you question the foreign aid we spend towards worthy causes like feeding, sheltering and educating African children?

If you were only helping local businesses, the effects are also cascading. That local business will pick up revenue - possibly from overseas buyers - and add to the economic growth. The reason we can place a value on the economy is because the "per capita" is justified by the value we provide in goods and services.

Lastly, I would be completely transparent with my clients if I was using geo-arbitrage and any work the authorised VA would do; I would quality assure it particularly very aggressively at the beginning.

4 people like this

Some countries in Asia (Philippines; Singapre, Vietnam, Thailand...) have been become the good destinations for hiring Virtual Assistant due to the cheap prices.

I have worked with a Filipino sub-contractor for a Virtual Assistant project and I feel Filipino are reliable to hire.

2 people like this

I'm not a business owner but I've worked for many businesses and clients (both direct and through agencies.) Filipinos are very reliable, trainable and dependable when it comes to VA work. Not only they understand and speak English very well compared to other Asian countries, their culture is very Americanized.

2 people like this

The Philippines currently has the most ideal English-speaking workforce with a favorably low cost-of-living index. In particular, the Philippines has:

An English-speaking nation with English as the primary medium of communication

A strong education system promoting a 93%+ literacy rate nationwide

A technological workforce with over 37,000 university IT graduates annually

A good work ethic with a culture that values hard work and dedication

A low cost-of-living index with basic living expenses over 5x lower than the US

This unique set of conditions, combined with the appropriate online communication tools, has opened an opportunity for people based in the Philippines to effectively support businesses around the world.

3 people like this