Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tawnya sutherland

Sore Computer Neck

13 posts in this topic

As I get older I am noticing my neck really hurts. I hold a bunch of stress in my back which works up to my neck. Being in front of the computer so much doesn't help not to mention I don't have the best posture at my office chair. I've tried many things from massage to heating pads but nothing seems to cure it. I basically have this airport pillow around my neck anytime I'm casually sitting on the couch but that helps somewhat It's possible I have a bit of arthritis there as well which doesn't help. Anyone else have neck issues?

Today I went for a one hour Shiatsu treatment. Has anyone done this? I've tried deep tissue massage for my neck issues but this really made me feel good after the treatment. I feel like my head is a bobble head. I'm going to try it again in two weeks and keep you updated on results.

One thing he told me to do which I'll have to try is lay on your back for 5 minutes a day across one of those big yoga balls. He said do it 2-3 times a day. What this does is stretch your back/neck the opposite way. Sitting at a computer all day we tend to lean over and turn inward and laying on the ball has the opposite effect.

T.

I have arthritis in my neck and shoulder area after a fall on the ice several years ago. One of the things my physical therapist recommended was using a foot rest while on the computer to help support the core area.

Another thing I do, which really seems to help, is a yoga routine created by Chaz at Yogamazing podcasts specifically for your neck and shoulders. You can do it sitting down or standing up; I tend to do it 4 or 5 times a week if I am having a bad work week or it is really cold out; two things that really seem to bother me. I also wear mock turtlenecks and have a warm scarf handy at all times.

I have had 4 neck surgeries, 3 level fusion and have continuous problems which is one reason why I work from home. Sometimes when it is bad, I wear my soft collar when I am at the computer. Taking breaks of course is obvious to do but can be difficult when you get into something. I have multiple things I do but working at the computer just does not help the situation.

I've had regular neck and upper back pain from working on the computer for so many years. I've done massage therapy, physiotherapy, chiropractor, acupuncture. All of the treatments provided temporary relief but the problem persisted.

I eventually had an ergonomic assessment of my work station which taught me a lot about how to sit properly with correct posture. I now use all ergonomic equipment (ergonomic chair, mouse, keyboard and keyboard tray). These changes made a big difference. Getting up and doing a quick stretch every 30 minutes will also help alleviate further problems.

Intramuscular Stimulation (IMS) is highly recommended to help with chronic pain. Here's a link to a website that explains how it works. http://www.istop.org/

Good luck!

Denise

I may have inherited your neck problems Mom. I've been noticing mine being very sore lately when on the computer or even during car rides. I have to go on long car rides often and that is when it gets really bad. I've been thinking about getting a special pillow for my neck for the drives. I might need to get a better computer chair too, that may help.

I get sore wrists as well, I have since I worked as a shipper. They flare up every now and then. I have a brace for them when they hurt which seems to help.

Might be a little young to already be having these problems, can't imagine down the road. But I have been on the computer as a full-time job since I was 17 so that is almost 10 years now.

I don't feel alone anymore and thanks everyone for sharing ;)

I have got a good chair and an ergonomic keyboard with a stool under my desk but still find myself curling up with poor posture now and then. Hard habit to get into to sit up straight ;)

Thanks Denise, I'll check out that link!

Danielle, I got one of those airplane pillows that I use around my neck when a passenger in car or just when sitting on the couch. Its full of little foam beads and snugs my neck nicely. Now if someone could make one that heats up it would be perfect ;) Hopefully its not hereditary, neck pain that is. You are young still though and can still take some preventive measures from the good advice above and hopefully it helps it not get any worse for you :)

I have had 4 neck surgeries, 3 level fusion and have continuous problems which is one reason why I work from home. Sometimes when it is bad, I wear my soft collar when I am at the computer. Taking breaks of course is obvious to do but can be difficult when you get into something. I have multiple things I do but working at the computer just does not help the situation.

Wow, I'm lucky then as I've never had to have neck surgeries over it. I agree on taking breaks regularly although know myself it is hard to remember so will set up alarms on my calendar to remind me to walk, etc. ;)

Today I decided to sit with laptop on knees and get some much needed article/blog writing done for the last 5 hours. Bad mistake, my neck is killing me just when it was starting to feel better.

Will I ever learn? LOL

I don't like the stiff neck thing either. I've been playing with a kind of computer stand for a lap top.

Its like those food tray carts hospitals use. You hang your lap top in a bracket and it can swivel so the lap top hangs over you in your bed. You just reach up and type or use the touch pad while laying flat. It was pretty easy to weld togeather out of scrap metal. Once its earned its coat of paint, ill put a nice coat of rustolium on it.

Great idea Chip but by the time I hit my bed, I'm out like a light. That's one thing I've never done, taken my ipad or laptop to bed with me. By the time my head hits the pillow I'm zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

One word - CHIROPRACTOR!

Seriously, I have had neck/shoulder problems since I was little and about 3 years ago, I found out that I have osteoarthritis in my neck. I have tried EVERYTHING (except surgery - not at that point yet according to the surgeon) - massage, heating pads, ice.

The best is once a month adjustments.

2 people like this

Wow!!! As I read these comments, I do not feel along. I am currently sitting at my desk with an airplane pillow around my neck. A few months ago I wore it for an entire month until I could get to the states to see my doctor. I had e-rays done that came back showing signs of arthritis in my neck. I had never heard of that.

Sometimes before going to bed I put Aspercreme on my neck, which helps me to sleep better.