Quickbooks Online vs. Hosted Quickbooks

Has anyone used QuickBooks Online or Hosted QuickBooks? I need advice/recommendations for using either vs. desktop QuickBooks. Costs, conversion ease, user ease, etc. I have a client I am working with that uses the desktop version at their office, so I am traveling to their office. They would like to have access outside their office as well as for me to have access from my office. Any recommendations?

Julianne

I do not recommend using QuickBooks online, especially if they have been using the desktop version.

I use a hosted QuickBooks solution with one of my clients, www.cpaasp.com. You and your client will need to have your own, legal version of QuickBooks. The QuickBooks will then be loaded onto a Virtual Desktop where you and your client will both be able to use QuickBooks (at the same time). There is a one-time set up fee, plus a monthly fee per user. [You will need to get their current costs.]

I also access QuickBooks through "Logmein", which is remote access (for two other clients). There is a free version of this and you would access QuickBooks through your client's computer, through Logmein. One of my clients has several people accessing QuickBooks and he did not want to pay the per user cost to access the hosted version of QuickBooks. Another client is only project-based, so I set them up through Logmein because they did not need to have the expense of a hosted solution.

I hope that this helps.

• Like 2

Danielle:

It depends. If I am the only one using LogMeIn, then it's great; but if there are one or more users using the server and I am on LogMeIn, then it is so slow (or at least to me).

I use Quickbooks online at my client's office and I use the desktop version of Quickbooks at the wine importer I'm employed at and I have to say that I much prefer the online version of QB. The desktop version is forever freezing, not responding, it's slow and a couple of times it has crashed. The online version is very responsive, quick and much more user friendly than the desktop version.

• Like 2

Paulette:

That is odd that the desktop version is forever freezing, not responding, etc. I have never had that problem with QuickBooks (with any of their desktop versions). I did have one client who had to split their QuickBooks file because it was too large. At that point, they were having issues with QuickBooks, but once the file was split they stopped having problems with their QuickBooks. [There is a size limitation for QuickBooks.]

Small service business bookkeepers and accountants with simple bookkeeping/accounting needs may consider using QuickBooks Online Basic or Online Plus. The Online programs offer different features and capabilities. Thus, some bookkeepers/accountants may find the programs more appealing than others.

• Like 1

I loathe QB Online. It's slow, it's clunky and they are forever tweaking it to get us to like it, but it just doesn't happen, unfortunatley, for me.

I use hosted QB. I refuse to log into a customer's computer via logmein or anything like that. It is too time consuming and is not a good use of my time - or their money. Clients can either use the hosted service we provide or we can help them find someone else. It's one of our rules of doing business.

Having said THAT, we do have a few quarterly clients that we do review work for that send us the QB file and that's fine, but for every day or weekly work... it just isn't for us.

You can check out with the cloud version apps of quickbooks. Basically that is what that is gonna solve the problem. If the cloud version app is not available then some integrated version apps can be used in this case.

For quickbooks hosting, internet and a terminal server connections are required and user can access their quickbooks and data files from any location and at any time. Quickbooks hosting supports various user friendly features, whereas many of such features available in quickbooks hosting are not available in quickbooks online. So quickbooks hosting is always better than quickbooks online.

Edited by Danielle

Guest InnovativeAdministrative

I have had a client recently adamant about trying QuickBooks online vs. the desktop version, and honestly, I prefer the desktop version. The client has rather involved books (catering) and QB Online just does not do what he needs it to do for his business.

I have finally convinced him to go back to what we had been doing originally which was using LogMeIn for remote access to his desktop.

I have a few new clients who have not been tracking expenses using QB or any type of accounting software, and they are all small businesses so it has been hard to sway them to use the desktop version due to the larger up front cost associated with setup, although I feel it is more ideal to use the desktop version. Oh well, make do I guess :)

Paulette- Have you tried using CCleaner on the computer the QB is hosted on? It sounds like more of a system issue than a software issue. Maybe the system and software versions are not compatible? Just an idea :)

Have a wonderful day everyone!

I have a client switching to QB Online. He had been using LogMeIn to his main office computer but that was becoming very time consuming for him. Like others I really would perfer not to use LogMeIn to access his QB. I've only used QB Online so I might be a little biased in my opinion of liking it. I am interested to look into QB Hosted after reading some of the replies.

• Like 2

Hello !

I currently use QuickBooks desktop version, and have been curious (but nervous!) about switching to QuickBooks online, thanks to all the wonderful and informative opinions I now have a third option (Quickbooks hosted) to consider and lots of new points to consider!

Thank you to everyone for the helpful posts!

Sue

• Like 1