For those that offer packaging rates - what time increments do you use and I'm assuming the lower hours work out to be more per hour than the higher hours correct? I was thinking the following:

5 hour
10 hour
20 hour

Should I offer a 40 hour, what about a 15 hour, or should I just say any other hours would be customizable if needed?

I currently offer by hour pricing but I want to try the package option and see what happens.

• Like 1

Here's how I do mine: http://www.mediamage.com/virtual-assistant/VA-retainer.htm

I give $ discounts the more hours they choose. You can also do a percentage say 5%, 10%, 15%, 25%.

I always try to entice them to go for the bigger hourly package. I do have pay as you go hours too but these don't have a discount.

• Like 2

From my contract "Client may pay a monthly retainer for a prepaid block of time (12, 20, 32, or 40 hours per month) at a 10% discount. If Client chooses to purchase blocks of time, pre-paid hours begin on the first of each month. Up to 8 additional hours during the month will be billed at the reduced rate; any unused hours do not carry forward and cannot be redeemed."

• Like 3

I also have went to the Package option. It just works better for me and my clients. First it Helps me with my Finances and in how I support my family and it Helps my Clients in what they receive on a monthly bases. It Just Works for me and My Business and My Clients.

But everyone is Different. It is just what is best for you and your Business.

Blessing to All

Dee Dallas

• Like 2

Has anyone created packages that aren't just based on hourly rates? I'm considering creating packages based around things like product launches, wordpress support, social media management, etc... is this something anyone has tried?

• Like 1

This is what I have done...

I have package rates and then whatever is 'unknown', I include in the contract that I will charge hourly for that.

Sometimes clients ask for items that are cut-n-dry and easy to package price but during my tenure with them, they ask me for something else. So in my contract I list out what it is I am doing for a package and then my hourly rate for anything that can't be defined right away as part of that package.

If over a period of time I am still doing the 'unknown' task, I will re-evaluate the package and add it in and then re-quote that package.

When I charge hourly for 'unknown' tasks (for lack of a better word), I tell the client ahead of time that I will be doing that. This way it is not a surprise on the invoice when I bill the package and then extra hours x the hourly rate.

And I always add in the contract that I will re-evaluate the package at 3 months and again at 6 months to give a heads up if there will be a rate change for extra tasks not noted when the original contract was signed. I give 30 days for that new rate to go into effect. If there is an issue, then I just explain that they can't have X for free!

I have never had a problem and it seems to really make a huge difference if I lay it all out from the start in my New Client Welcome Packet.

Best,

Janine

• Like 2

So in my contract I list out what it is I am doing for a package and then my hourly rate for anything that can't be defined right away as part of that package.

Janine

Hi Janine,

Yes exactly what I do as well, This way the client can't tell you "I thought it was included in your services". Defining what is included in a package, in a contract, is very important :)

Then stating the rest is extra cost, at least allows you to charge extra. I always discuss with the client first when something falls into the 'extras', this way they don't even have a surprise :)

One has to be the less 'blurry' possible.

• Like 1