Hi! I am just starting out and have a few questions?

1. What calendar software does everyone use? (i.e. Gmail? Outlook? Other?) etc? What are the pros and cons of each?

2. What email system does everyone use? (i.e. Gmail? Outlook? Other?) etc? Also what are the pros and cons of each?

3. When you go and meet a local client (either prospective or current), how do you dress? Do you dress in a business suit? Business Casual?

4. When on a Skype video call with a client or prospect, do you dress up for the call? Also what about location? I have a set up in my bedroom but could easily move to another room in my house (basement, kitchen, living room). Does it matter what your "office" looks like?

Sorry for all the questions. I am finding this forum and all of you to be of tremendous help. Lots of great advice.

1. What calendar software does everyone use? (i.e. Gmail? Outlook? Other?) etc? What are the pros and cons of each?

I like Outlook as I open it each morning and 'voila! :)

2. What email system does everyone use? (i.e. Gmail? Outlook? Other?) etc? Also what are the pros and cons of each?

I have a vanity email address that I hooked into Gmail for convenience.

3. When you go and meet a local client (either prospective or current), how do you dress? Do you dress in a business suit? Business Casual?

I go business casual as I have logo embroidered shirts, fleece, computer laptop bag, etc. I got GREAT inexpensive embroidery done at Queensboro.com. They only require a minimum of 4 pieces and the embroidery quality and merchandise quality is extremely good.

4. When on a Skype video call with a client or prospect, do you dress up for the call? Also what about location? I have a set up in my bedroom but could easily move to another room in my house (basement, kitchen, living room). Does it matter what your "office" looks like?

I dress the same as a 'face-to-face' meeting. My office is actually in the front hall and set up to look a lot larger than the actual 8' by 6' space it really is with nice pictures in the background. :D

• Like 1

I used to use Outlook and then made big switch to Google for email and calendars. It was tough in the beginning getting used to it as it is quite different from Outlook. Once I did though I loved it! Plus I didn't have to sync up outlook files when I traveled. Love the accessibility of Google apps. They also have a bunch of labs you can add to make both apps a better experience from world clock (under settings in calendar) to Boomerang ;)

GMAIL - same pros as above.

It depends on the client. If a corporate lawyer I'd wear a two piece skirt, heels but if for a musician I may just wear jeans and a blazer. I always dress professionally either way.

Yes I dress up for those too as I'm sure me sitting in my fuzzy pink bathrobe wouldn't be very professional ;) I also keep my office tidy and professional looking.

Sorry for all the questions. I am finding this forum and all of you to be of tremendous help. Lots of great advice.

• Like 1

1. What calendar software does everyone use? (i.e. Gmail? Outlook? Other?) etc? What are the pros and cons of each? I use different ones for each client but my personal one I just use my phone and a task list for items needed like wunderlist.

2. What email system does everyone use? (i.e. Gmail? Outlook? Other?) etc? Also what are the pros and cons of each? I currently use many for different clients but for my business I use yahoo.

3. When you go and meet a local client (either prospective or current), how do you dress? Do you dress in a business suit? Business Casual? I do not meet clients locally currently but if i did I would go with business attire.

4. When on a Skype video call with a client or prospect, do you dress up for the call? Also what about location? I have a set up in my bedroom but could easily move to another room in my house (basement, kitchen, living room). Does it matter what your "office" looks like? I get myself ready and I have a separate office space but I dont go over board with getting all done up.

• Like 2

I use my iCal and also my paper planner. I plan things in my personal paper planner then I mark appointments in my iCal that I need reminders for.

I use Outlook, I'd like to switch to something in the cloud. But I guess I'm stuck in my old ways for now...

I recommend using gmail if you haven't already set something up.

I haven't met any of my clients in person. But if I did, I'd probably wear heels with a nice pair of dark skinny jeans and a top with a blazer. Like Tawnya said, if I was working with lawyers then I'd probably amp it up a bit.

I use my office for calls, if I'm on the go (which happens often) I try to find the most professional looking space I can find. I also do my hair and makeup and wear a nice shirt. They won't see the rest of me so I'll typcially be wearing yoga pants as well. :)

• Like 1