Hi there!

I can't say that I have a niche per say. More of a set of services that can apply to anyone (although I pick and choose who I want to work with). I stick with administrative type duties. It is what I enjoy, and not picking a niche allows me to work with all sorts of different people, which I enjoy.

You can find me on here or my website www.thenecessarysecretary.com

You just reminded me of something I could share about finding your niche...I was just talking to someone on the phone today and how they felt that they couldn't start up their VA business yet as they didn't have a niche. UGH! I hear this so many times and see VAs never getting off the fence and starting their business because they think I don't have a niche yet.

Reminds me of another time I was coaching a VA who hadn't tried to get any clients yet and I asked why? She said well I don't have my business cards designed yet. Being that we work virtually we may seldom if ever have a need for business cards. In fact I never got any until I was first asked for one. That's why I went and got my cards done. ;)

There will always be something in business you have to do and you will never really have all your ducks in a row.

If you are meant to have a niche you will but it is not a necessity to have a niche to enjoy a very lucrative VA business. There are many other things that are important to be successful in business like awesome customer service or branding. BTW, great blog post by our Mod here, Mark Hunter, on branding and you can check it out here.

I was a jackie-of-all-trades for many years before my internet marketing niche found me. Note I say found me and while my business did even better after I found my niche it did pay the bills for many years without a niche too ;)
  • Like 1

Thanks for the mention, Tawnya :) I also struggled at finding my niche or target market but I just got started because I am good with WordPress and that can benefit many people.

You can position yourself by who you serve, what you do or how you do it. It always helps to have an idea of who you serve but as mentioned, you can't always have your ducks lined up in a row before starting.

I had initially chosen coaches, but because I work with WordPress, I am getting clients from all different walks of life. This helps me further refine my marketing message.

Here are some questions to ask:

• What service am I good at? For example WordPress.
  • Can I focus in on this service further? For example, ecommerce sites.
  • What type of people would best benefit from ecommerce sites? Example, small businesses, those getting started online who have a shop front ...
  • How can I reach them? ie blogging, going to networking events of business owners
  • Will this be effective? Business owners may not have time to read blog posts online.
  • Who influences them? But maybe their employees do or current virtual assistants do.

But never let this stop you from getting started. If you already have clients, then that is great. You can refine your marketing message later to get more of what is working. I admit, I first positioned myself as a Virtual Assistant working with WordPress which is why I joined this forum. And I'm glad I did because some of you have even recommended me. That wasn't my intention but the power of knowing the influencers can help.

• Like 3

Hello.

I am on this niche finding path too. I love proofreading and copywriting  both related to website content and online course creation. Can this  be a niche?

Because I like to give tweaks to the written word while proofreading. I like to capture the essence that's in the mind of the writer, so to speak.

Is it better to give them on a separate package or together? 

Thanks for your answers in advance!

Sonia

On 4/22/2018 at 7:27 AM, Sonika said:

Hello.

I am on this niche finding path too. I love proofreading and copywriting  both related to website content and online course creation. Can this  be a niche?

Because I like to give tweaks to the written word while proofreading. I like to capture the essence that's in the mind of the writer, so to speak.

Is it better to give them on a separate package or together? 

Thanks for your answers in advance!

Sonia

Hi Sonia, yes proofreading and copywriting is a great niche. I know several VAs that offer that service. 

• Like 1