denise o

Do you bill in increments of 5, 10, 15 etc. hours or are you flexible?

Quick question - and apologies if this is a stupid question but what do you mean when you say you bill in 15 minute increments?  Can you site and example of how your rates would look? 

What "billing in 15 minute increments" means is that say you went to check your clients email but it only took 7 minutes to do that. The VA would charge 15 minutes for those 7 minutes. Basically this way of billing revolves around the mentality that it takes time to refocus and get your mind reset on the project at hand. Does that make sense? Sometimes we may only do 7 minutes for a client in a morning if all we are doing is checking their email or social media networks, etc. 

I have another question on billing!

I have a client who gets me to make some calls for him and many times I have to remain on hold, sometimes for up to an hour, waiting for a reply. Looking for feedback from others as to whether you would charge for this time on hold.

Thanks for your help! 

• Like 1

I would definitely charge for it in some way because your focus has to partially be there during that time and keeps your focus away from whatever you are currently working on. A couple ways you could approach this...

1. Charge your hourly rate for being on hold and during this time possibly work on something else for this client, some admin work?

2. If it's not too distracting you could charge an "on-call" daily rate or something over and above the hours you actually speak on the phone?

3. Charge a percentage of your hourly rate when on hold. During this time work on some of your own admin/marketing needs for your business. Personally, I wouldn't work for another client during these times as I think I'd be distracted but you could if you weren't.

You have to do what you feel is fair in your mind and that could be just about any of the above, something else or not charging at all?

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply Tawnya. It helps to hear other perspectives.  

I decided to charge my full rate for being on hold and will do this going forward. I was certainly not as productive while on hold and felt tied to my desk. 

My time is valuable and why should I undervalue myself when I could be working for another client making my full rate doing something else. 

• Like 1

I think one of the hardest things about being a new VA is setting your rules and then sticking to them! :)  And, as said above, if you lose a client that is not your 'ideal' client, you can then replace them with one who is. :D

• Like 2