Hello, my name is Melinda Thomas (aka Mindy) and I have just begun doing the research to start a brand new VA business. It's very exciting, a little terrifying, and very overwhelming - lots to figure out! Glad to find this group, I have a feeling it will be incredibly helpful.

Just a little about me: after decades of working as an administrative/financial support person in a number of different venues (theatre company, musical organization, private high school, private vocational school, and community college), I retired last summer. I was looking forward to figuring out what I want to be when I grow up, LOL.

As it turned out, my husband and I decided to take a big leap and buy a beach house in Central America. We are hoping to spend some extended time down there soon (as soon as we can work out all the details - which will take awhile). So, though we paid off the mortgage on our home in California a couple of years ago, now we have a new mortgage. We figured out that we need to make a little more money in order to sustain our new budget - and we understand that it may take a little while to get my business off the ground. That's okay, we can handle that for the time being.

The thing about VA work is that as long as I have a reliable computer and good 'net access, I can work from anywhere. The idea of working under a thatch roof over my head on our upstairs deck, with the sea breeze blowing through my hair and the sound of the Caribbean waves... well, that sounds pretty awesome, amirite?

I am going to start working through a lot of the material I got when I joined this group and figure out what my next steps are. And I hope to read many of your posts and fill in the gaps so I can make this an exciting and successful venture. Thank you for having this group, I look forward to getting to know you!

~Mindy

• Like 2

Oh, look, I already goofed! Forgot to include the information from the guidelines for an intro post. So, here goes:

Your Name: Melinda (Mindy) Thomas
Your Website URL (if applicable): Don't have one yet
Years in Business: 0!
Description of your Business, including any specialties: I am thinking that I will attempt to do anything a client would like me to do (within reason), but what I'm best at is writing, copyediting, proofreading, data entry, spreadsheets, and bookkeeping. I'd also love to work on travel arrangements, which I find really fun in my private life, so doing it for someone else sounds fun too.

On a more personal note:
What City/Town/State/Country are you from?: I was born in Tucson, AZ, but moved from there to southern California before I was a year old. Then I moved from southern California to northern California (SF Bay Area) before I was two years old - so I have no recollection of the first two places I lived. I grew up in the Bay Area, with one year spent abroad in Europe when my mother went on sabbatical. I left SF when I was 35 and moved to Boston briefly... returning to SF less than six months later (long story). Then in 1999 I moved to the Sierra foothills and here I am still - for now. :D
Are you married? How long?: I am married, and we will celebrate our 25th anniversary at the end of April 2017
Any kids and how old? No human kids for us, but right now we do have two dogs, two cats, and three chickens.
Hobbies & Interests: I was a classically trained pianist for many years but found much more fulfillment in singing - particularly in small groups, as vocal harmony is one of my favorite things in the world. I also enjoy doing beadwork, various dog activities, good food/drink, and laughter.

How did you hear about us? i.e. Google search (what keywords did you search?), article in magazine (name of mag?), word of mouth (who?), etc.: I found this site via Google search, I think my search terms were "virtual assistant resources"

OK, now I think I'm done. Ha!

• Like 1