kmrhaney

Brand New(bie) from Maryland

7 posts in this topic

Greetings All,

I am a newbie from Laurel, Maryland.  I settled on the idea of being a virtual assistant about 3 weeks ago.  I have not started my business; however, I am looking to do so soon.  I am currently a full-time government employee looking to retire in 8 years (or earlier!)  I have not decided on a specialty but mostly likely will be providing some form of business management services.  I have 20+ years of experience in financial grants management and a B.A. degree in accounting.  I may pursue a Project Management Certification but will need to know if it will truly benefit me in my VA business.

On a personal note, I'm married with 3 kids (24, 20 and 15).  My primary interest is traveling for pleasure.  I'm hoping this business venture will afford me the opportunity and flexibility to travel the world when I retire (or at least the Caribbean - Lol!). Over the past few weeks I've been absorbing as much as I can by carving out a few hours at the end of each day.  I had no idea that being a virtual assistant was so popular.  The amount of information available is extremely overwhelming.  I've joined quite a few VA Facebook groups and I am working on figuring out the best single source for all of my VA training.  Until then, I have been reading eBooks and watching free webinars to learn some of the information I need to get my business started. 

Well, enough about me! I look forward to learning from everyone in this forum. Thank you for accepting my request to join! 

1 person likes this

Welcome!  Starting a new business is always a little exciting and a little daunting!  But you will find all the answers you need here. :)  My business "The virtual Office Goddess" began as a part-time endeavor while I worked a full-time job with the intent that whenever I 'retired' it would be a well established business.  Ten years later, it is definitely a well-established business but I am still a long way from retiring. :D

1 person likes this

Welcome to VANetworking! You are in a remarkable space for all things virtual assistant.

I know a little about Project Management certification as I place PMs with clients for  my own
matchmaking business. 

Those that have a PM certification are in high demand. But what you will want to know is
how to manage a virtual project, which typically can include a product launch. 

If you work with online coaches, speakers or authors who launch books, products and services, you will
need to oversee the projects and know (if you don't know already) about email sequences, affiliate 
marketing and creating lead magnets for entrepreneurs. 

I only say this because I have PMs that come to me from being in the corporate world not realizing that the
online world can be different.  

If you want to work virtually so you can retire and travel well, consider getting a PM certification from
educators who understand what online projects will require.

Best,

Janine

2 people like this

Hi Laurel and welcome! Traveling is one of my dreams too and this is the perfect career to be able to up and go whenever I want so looking forward to retirement years now ;)

Glad you found your way here and looking forward to getting to know you more through your participation here :)

1 person likes this