6 posts in this topic

What's everyone's take on writer's block?

There were some years where I struggled to make the words come. I would sit at my computer, staring aimlessly at a blank screen and end up on Fackbook browsing my news feed.

Some familiar?

I'm not sure if I believe in blocks though, because I can usually dig myself out of it.

Here are some causes that stops me from writing or blogging:

• Too many options and not enough focus when it comes to topic
  • Fear that my writing will be criticised and that it has to be perfect
  • Editing as I write
  • Just not feeling like putting fingers to the keyboard
  • Feeling uninspired and chaotic

But what I found was working with structure, frameworks and outlines can really keep the flow. Reading others work and studying headlines can get you inspired.

What is your secret to getting in the flow? How do you overcome this "block".

PS Writing online should also have a purpose. And this post is no exception. More on that soon ... ;)

3 people like this

Yes, I know I have had this for years.

What I try to do from the suggestion of a content writer, is come up with a bunch of headlines first. Then a next time I can jot down ideas so that when I come back to this I know where to flow from there.

The important thing that she suggested is to make sure that when you are doing your content you spend x amount of time doing a particular thing so that you dont feel overwhelm to write a bunch of things.

This has helped me so far.

2 people like this

I like having a skeleton of ideas first and blocking off the piece. That way I can write just one section when "in the mood". Many times if in a rush,  I'll take a PLR product that is completed and use that for my skeleton then go into it and write my own words.

i leave my headlines until the end only because after writing a piece many ideas for headlines come to me during that time (jot them down)

2 people like this

Though I am not a writer but its really good to read about the writer's thought before they start any writing.

3 people like this

I agree @shumi18 these are some great tips provided. I really love Julian's take on how to not get overwhelmed. I think time chunking comes in useful there.

And thanks @tawnya sutherland for pointing out that I can use PLR as an outline. I love that idea.

I often help my clients get their wording right. Too often they have good intentions of blogging or creating content for their website but barriers and obstacles come into play.

That's why I created a new blog where I can showcase to them how to best write for the web. Here's an example post which shows 8 ways to come up with a blog idea -> https://writeprocontent.com/8-simple-ways-find-ideas-next-killer-blog-post/

Love to hear your thoughts on this.

On 7/7/2017 at 8:54 PM, markofapproval said:

I agree @shumi18 these are some great tips provided. I really love Julian's take on how to not get overwhelmed. I think time chunking comes in useful there.

Yes its really thoughtful and thank you.

1 person likes this