Direct & Indirect Competitors

We all know when first starting/planning your business you have to do research. 

That's exactly what I am doing but I needed some help and wanted some opinions. 

When it comes to my competitors; my direct competitors are obviously other virtual assistant in my area. 

But what would be my indirect competitors? 

Thank you so much for the help. I'll be looking forward to a reply:) 

• Like 2

I would think this would be like secretaries and receptionists - or whatever the in person equal would be to what you are offering would be. So for instance I do office management for mental health professionals, so for me it would be receptionists, medical billing people, medical records, etc. Am I totally of track with this thinking?!?

Omg! Of course. I can't believe I didn't even think about that. 

I believe you are completely on the right track. It makes complete sense. 

Now I feel like that was a silly question to ask. LMAO. 

But thank you so much for answers. 

So how long have you been doing office management for mental health professionals?

Direct competitors yes can be VAs in your locale but any VA really that has the same specialties/niche as you do. Being that we are virtual we can work from anywhere. As for indirect competitors they are companies that aren't necessarily VA oriented. ie) If one of your services is WordPress maintenance for example then a Web Developer would be an indirect competitor to you. Another example of indirect could be a temporary secretarial company locally that offers in house secretarial services and board rooms for rent. I remember I was getting asked a ton (because my website came up #1 for this in Google) if I rented out board rooms (which of course I didn't). I decided to look at an indirect competitor to see if I could do a joint venture with them (https://whiterockofficeservices.com) and send them telephone/email leads for people that contacted me about board room rentals. Not only did I make a commission from this but Carolina is now a dear friend personally and a reason to get out of the house and do lunch with her ;)

My point is that indirect competitors are good to know to do JVs with them. For example if you don't offer Wordpress services but offer bookkeeping, you could find another VA that does offer Wordpress but doesn't offer bookkeeping. They could refer all bookkeeping jots to you and you send Wordpress to them.