accuassist

W-9 and 1099 Tax Forms

Happy Friday everyone!

I would like to hear about your experiences with handling W-9 and 1099 tax forms. Here are a few specific questions I have for you:

1) Do you send a W-9 form to every new client before you begin work, or do you wait until they have paid you $600 in fees?

2) Do you ever have to explain the W-9/1099 process to new clients if they have never used a contractor in the past?

3) Is the client's accountant typically responsible for submitting 1099 forms to the government?

4) Have your clients ever neglected to send in a 1099 form for your work? If so, how did you handle this?

I'm trying to figure out a way to streamline this process for new clients. I'm sure my questions won't cover everything I need to know, so please elaborate as you see fit!

Thanks for your assistance!

Angela

I mail them to my clients in November, just makes my life easier.

I do the 1099s for my clients (I'm the bookkeeper). Yes, the bookkeeper/accountant should do them, but that doesn't always happen. You are still responsible for reporting all of your income to the IRS.

Yes, some clients don't know what a 1099 is. I explain it. If I'm the only 1099 contractor, I make one for myself and file the red form for them at no cost. Yes, I know, but trust me, it's just easier sometimes than going through the "now, this is what this" for the 20th time.

Thanks so much for your reply, Candy! It's helpful to know that I can wait until close to the end of the year to send out W-9's. I noticed that the 1099 has to be ordered from the IRS since it's a triplicate form. Maybe I'll order several and mail them out along with the W-9's to eliminate one step for the client.

I need to become more familiar with the 1099 form so I can explain it to clients. I skimmed the form and instructions, and it didn't look all that difficult, at least not for my purposes. Are there any tricky parts I need to know about? Also, can the information be handwritten, or does it need to be typed? (Who actually owns a typewriter anymore?) :P

Does anyone else have a different process that they use to deal with these tax forms?

Thanks again!

Angela

You can also get the 1099 forms from Office Depot or pick them up from your local IRS office... I would suggest not filling them out for the client because they SHOULD do that themselves or have a bookkeeper/CPA that does. The 1099s are filed with a cover (transmittal/summary) page 1096. I only send the W9 and then if they need someone to do their 1099s, I do those separately. Yes, they can be handwritten, but they must be on the original red form.

Candy,

Thanks for the helpful tip about Office Depot. That will certainly come in handy if I need to get tax forms quickly. I just ordered the forms from the IRS online (for free) and they should arrive in 7-15 days. If it is possible to order an item online, that's the way I buy it...I used to order groceries online for goodness sake!

Here's the link where you can order the 1099 forms if anyone else is interested: http://www.irs.gov/businesses/page/0,,id=23108,00.html

I wasn't planning on filling out the 1099 form for the client - I just thought it might be helpful if I send them a blank 1099 form so they don't have to go to the trouble of picking one up.

Your expertise is always greatly appreciated!

Angela

Yes I send W-9 form to every new client. And I explain 1099 Form to every new client. You should send a 1099 to every contractor–this means individuals or unincorporated businesses such as LLCS–to whom you paid $600 or more for services, rent, awards, or other miscellaneous business-related activities during the year. You can get some useful info from here. https://zipbooks.com/blog/1099-form-complete-guide-filing/

Oh forget to mention, only one time I had trouble making one of my client about this form and after sending him the papers he agreed.

• Like 1

Hi.  I am actually filing 1099’s for the first time for a booster club.  They pay the same techs during the year to provide lessons to kids.

They get a W-9 signed for all techs for the school year and keep track of the end of year sum.  

Since I am trying to start as a VA, I plan on sending my W-9 at the beginning and will track it myself.  

• Like 2