Sign in to follow this  
judyk

2003 vs 2007

I need to upgrade my Microsoft Office from 2002. I'm familiar with 2003 because I have it at my current job but

I'm wondering if I should take the plunge and get 2007? I know there's a big learning curve with 2007 but as I proceed with my business would it be beneficial to have 2007?

Can I get some feedback from people that have already addressed this issue? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks,

Guest Chai

The main drawback I have found with my clients and students that has switched... Whenever they send me a document they have to remember to save it in the format of a former version, otherwise I can't open it unless I can download the conversion file on the computer I am working with. I am not always on a computer that allows me to do that.

Carrie

I was worried about the learning curve for 2007 as well, but I went ahead and took the plunge when I bought my new computer and so far I love it. If you are familiar enough with Office products you shouldn't have any trouble converting. As far as the issues with the 2003/2007 compatability I have just gotten in the habit of saving ALL of my files in the 2000/2003 compatability version so whoever I send it to will be compatable.

I say if you are in any version older than 2003 and want to upgrade you should just go ahead and go to 2007. Why upgrade to a version that will just need to be upgraded again, you might as well just go with whatever is newest and save yourself some money in the future.

I did however stay with Windows XP Pro, I have heard from a lot of IT professionals that VISTA has way too many bugs and to stay away from it.

I upgraded to 2007 when it first came out and I wouldn't go back to 2003 for anything. I didn't find there was that much of a learning curve in using the new version. It didn't really take me very long to figure out where they put the features that I needed so I was up and running on it pretty quickly. There is a way to set it to default to saving in the 2003 .doc format so you wouldn't have to worry about thinking to do that if that is how you want to save your files each time. In my opinion, go for 2007!

Guest coxadmin

I upgraded from 2003 to 2007 a few months ago and love 2007. The additional useful features far outweigh the learning curve. I anticipated the learning curve to be large and bought "2007 Microsoft Office System Step by Step" published by Microsoft Press when I bought Office 2007 - I haven't looked at the book!

If you are upgrading I would recommend going for 2007. The main learning curve involves where to find the features you are familiar with using. They are all still there plus more besides, you just need to feel your way around for a bit. No big deal if you're already familiar with earlier versions. I love the new graphics capabilities it has. And Paula is correct - you can set it to automatically save to 97-2003 compatible format.

PS I moved this post out of general questions to this forum.

Guest Bev

Hi Judy,

I'd go with 2007. It took me awhile to find some of my favorite features because of the different format, but the upgrade is well worth the "learning curve".

Bev

Hi Judy,

I'd go with 2007. It took me awhile to find some of my favorite features because of the different format, but the upgrade is well worth the "learning curve".

Bev

Thanks for the input. I actually downloaded a 60 day trial version from Microsoft and started using it. It's really not that bad. I had to go to the online help to try to figure out where some features were now located but I also found new functions too. I'll definitely invest in this upgrade.

:thumbup:

I'm glad everyone is in agreement about 2007. I love the functions and features.

For anyone else thinking about upgrading, it is a resource hog so make sure you have at least 512 RAM. One Gig is even better. It has a couple of quirks. If you start it and it won't start, see if it's already running in your processes. Sometimes it'll get stuck in there and you need to End the process before it will open.

I still highly recommend it. Two thumbs up. :thumbup:

As others have mentioned, the only thing I don't care for is the automatic .docx formatting. You are able to download a plugin from Microsoft that will allow older versions to read the new formatting, but it is clunky and doesn't always install properly on each computer system. So if you are going to upgrade I would take the suggestion of saving the documents in the .doc format.

:thumbup:

I'm working on my Microsoft Certification and used 2003 for basic class and now 2007 for intermediate class and LOVE it. I can already see improvements in my speed the locations of functions make more sense now on the ribbon. I'm another vote for 2007.

Microsoft always has great training on their site and sometimes it is hard to find. This is a cool tutorial where you type the command you perform in 2003 and it shows you where it is in 2007. Enjoy!

Edited by Ms Kelly

I have a client that uses 2007 and it allows for calendar sharing without having to deal with all the hassle of remote login etc. I won a version 2007 a while back, but I haven't installed it. I was able to set up an ID on MSN and was able to view my client's Outlook calendar! It's a really great feature as it really alleviates the whole calendar sharing issue!