Sign in to follow this  
Savvy Associate

SECURE remote access

A potential client of mine wants to use a SECURE remote access to her crm files on outlook. She is reluctant to go further until she knows that her clients information is not sitting on a web based server. Any suggestions?

A potential client of mine wants to use a SECURE remote access to her crm files on outlook. She is reluctant to go further until she knows that her clients information is not sitting on a web based server. Any suggestions?

"Secure" means a lot of different things to a lot of different people. So does "web based server". The truth is, things that you browse through your web browser today are much removed from what the web was originally intended to be. Just because you can access a server from a web based client does not mean that the server itself is "web based".

All of the major online CRM firms are behind a secure connection. If they were not, who would use them? Most people have set their browsers to turn off the "Entering a Secure Location" notification, so you can no longer tell when you are/are not on a secure site.

If you take a look at the FAQ for the CRM of your choice, you should see several questions regarding security. You should forward these to your client. Alternatively, give the CRM company a call. I am sure that they will be better at explaining all their security features than I could ever be.

As a last resort: go with a CRM with "Secure" in their name. It doesn't mean they are MORE secure than other, but I know that from a marketing standpoint seeing "Secure" up there in bold letters will make your customer feel better.

It can be difficult to get a new customer over the hump of trusting the internet. So many people tell you NOT to trust, but they don't really give people enough information to make an informed decision on what they should/should not do. It has made our lives a little more difficult as VA's, but it has given us a virtual feather to put in our cap once we share our knowledge and understanding of the "virtual ways" with our clients.