Becoming a Virtual Assistant

I am interested in becoming a virtual assistant. How do I get started? I am looking to perform bookkeeping, word processing, and/or basic transcription. Please inform me on what steps I need to take to begin.

Thanks

Lisa

Well hello Lisa and welcome to VANA! :D You are in the best place to learn all there is to becoming a Virtual Assistant. I am still basically new at this myself. However, I recall a few things that were recommended to me. One was to read all you can from past and present posts here.

Also there is a section here that lists 25 things or steps we can take to really utilize our time and information in the VANA forums to help our new business get off to a great start. And speaking of getting off to a great start, Tawnya Sutherland, the founder of VANA, has a Virtual Business Startup system that has a thorough step by step process you can follow, including templates. Even if you can’t afford the entire system at this time, she has generously provided us with a 48-page sampler. Here is the link if you happened to miss it up above this thread: http://www.vanetworking.com/mediakit/pdfs/VAC-sample.pdf

Angela Smith also has a great Master To Do List which I feel is a must have for a newbie VA. It keeps me on track as I accomplish various goals.

Read, read, read, take notes and ask questions if you can’t find the answers already posted. The support and motivation here is fantastic!

I hope you enjoy your stay here. I know I have! :thumbup:

-Delilah

Hi Lisa:

Building a VA practice and watching my own business grow is one of the most satisfying things I've done! I've been a VA for nearly 10 years.

Here are some links for you to get started (these are some articles at my website):

Hiring a VA vs. Hiring an office person: http://www.yourvirtualresource.com/article..._comparison.htm

VA Niches: http://www.yourvirtualresource.com/articles/va_niches.htm

VA Getting Started Guide: http://www.vaebook.htm

List your practice: http://www.avirtualresume.com

Lisa, enjoy and ask questions - we are here to help!

Your VA Pal,

Kathy

Guest Arnie

Hi Lisa,

First off Tawnya and I would like to welcome you to the forum.

There are as many ways to becoma a VA as there are VA's. Having said that as mentioned above Tawnya has designed a system for starting up you business and you can find the link in my tag lines. The other exciting thing is that VANA is will be offering an internship as of next month to help build both skills and confidence for the new VA just starting out. Watch the forum for more details.

Having said all of that, Good luck with what ever way you decide to go.

Arnie

Welcome Lisa! :welcome:

You've received some great advice so far. I'm also one to recommend reading as much as you can here at the forum. It's a virtual goldmine of information!!! You may also wish to pick up copies of the various VA startup books. They're all great! I believe Tawnya's VAC system also includes several of the books.

Angela Smith also has a great Master To Do List which I feel is a must have for a newbie VA. It keeps me on track as I accomplish various goals.

Thanks, Delilah! I'm glad you've found the Master To-Do List helpful. Lisa, if you're interested, you can click here or in the link in my signature line to sign up for a copy. It's free! :)

The other exciting thing is that VANA is will be offering an internship as of next month to help build both skills and confidence for the new VA just starting out. Watch the forum for more details.

The new internship program sounds really exciting, Arnie! I'm always on the edge of my seat to see what you guys will come up with next! :thumbup:

Angela

Glad to have you on board, Lisa!

I'm fairly new here myself and so far, the best resource is this forum! Sit and read, read, read. There is so much information here I can hardly believe it!