Pattys Office Desk

VOIP and/or SKYPE

I have read where a lot of you use Skype and a lot use VOIP. What is the difference? I went to the Skype website, but still don't understand what I can and cannot do with it for sure, maybe I'm just getting dense with all the new technology that is out now! :blink:

Am I right in that it is only $60 per YEAR with Skype to call in and call out? I currently have Comcast digital for my phone and internet, and I like the service I am getting. I can get Vonage, and there are 2 other VOIP companies in the area that keep sending out mailers, so how do I know which one would be the best? And if I can do the same thing with Skype, why wouldn't I go with the cheaper option?

I guess I started this by looking at a way to get a local number for one of my clients so the caller ID would show up as me being relatively close instead of clear across the country. Then I got really confused with all the information and now am hopelessly lost!

What do you all use, and does it work out well for you?

Thanks!

Patty

My favorite site for reading what real consumers say is ripoffreport.com.

Edited by cyndip

From memory, VOIP stands for Voice Over Internet Protocol and it is a type of technology that basically converts computer signal to voice and vice versa in order to allow you to make phone calls over the Internet. This is the type of technology that Skype is. Skype is a company, much like a standard telecommunications company, that offer this as a service; there are many providers out there that offer VOIP services. So, VOIP is the actual technology/type of service and Skype is the name of a company that offers it. I hope this helped in understanding what it actually is.

LJ

Levi you are right. Skype is a provider of VoIP services. If you're not sure who to go with and it's in your budget go with Skype. The reason being that many VAs and clients are already using it and Skype to Skype calls are FREE.

Read here about another VoIP discussion.

I use both Skype and Vonage. My personal preference for most calls is Vonage because there are times that Skype's connection is less than clear and I feel like I'm in a tunnel...plus I like the ability to move freely throughout my house without being tied to a computer. I do have a Skype cordless phone, but if I go more than 20-25 feet from the receiver then I lose the call.

:thumbup:

Guest TerryGreen

I prefer Skype over Vonage. We had Vonage, but because of the area we live in, the reception was horrible. We had nothing but problems with it. I l love Skype. I have a Skype-In # that I use for one of my clients, and use Skype for 90% of my phone calls to everyone else. I think I'm going to get a couple more Skype-In #'s to use with different clients, but I need to figure out how to tell the difference between the #'s whenever I get a phone call.

Also ... I just downloaded the Skype toolbar for Outlook, and love it. The toolbar allows Skype to identify Skype users whenever I open someone's email, and I can call people, start chats and everything else under the sun from within Outlook. Pretty cool!

I figure $60 for the Skype-In # and then $30 for the unlimited calling per year is more than economical and worth it to me.

Just a suggestion here but if you download skype it's free, if you know of someone that has skype you can call them and/or they can call you via skype and try it out for free. I bought the one year subscription for skype in and out. I have headphones and microphone so I use skype for business. I have had some connection issues and had bad reception with skype but I've had some really good calls too. I have used Yahoo telephone as well because that's what my family uses and it works for calls if you contact people with Yahoo instant messenger.

But since skype is free calls in and out to all and any skype users, just try it out and see what you think before buying into it.

Skype is NOT VoIP - it is peer to peer technology (like music sharing sites) which can (and I stress may) cause issues with your computer. There are issues with Skype (just google "Skype" and "Security" to find a ton of information). From what I read, these issues are few and far between and ok if it happens to someone else, but because of them, I will not install Skype on my primary PC.

Vonage is VoIP technology - however, since they do not own the wires on which their signals are travelling, there is no assurance of quality. I tested Vonage's services over two years ago and was flabbergasted at the horrible service I received - both during calls (calls would drop; I would call people and their caller ID would show as me and I could hear them but they couldn't hear me, etc.) and from their customer support.... 37 e-mails to cancel my account; an incorrect cancellation charge of $250 which took over six months to get credited back to my Amex! Phew....

I have been testing the VoIP offered through my ISP - Cablevision. So far, so good.

Remember, we are virtual in nature, but nothing (and I mean nothing) replaces the human voice when interacting with clients and prospects. Therefore, you want to make sure that this important business process is the best it can possibly be!