Sign in to follow this  
frances.palaschuk@rogers.com

Virtual Methods of Payment

Guest Chai

Stay Away from Paypal. They have some rules that they do not reveal. Their practices, and fees can cost you a lot of money.

Carrie Lower

I disagree with Carrie. I use PayPal and have never had any problems. I am sure there are issues that I haven't yet come across.

I did recently lose a contract because the organization in the US could not figure out how they would pay me. I thought that it would be simple to just send me a cheque, but they said there were legal issues in hiring a contractor from out of the country that they could not get their heads around.

Guest intouchva

I think a lot of people use PayPal. I know I have and I have not had any issues. Yes they do charge a fee for the service as do merchant accounts, which I also have. Keep in mind that fees are business expenses you can right off at tax time!

I agree with some of the others. PayPal can be a great option if you don't want to have a contract with a merchant services company (credit card processing company). And with PayPal there are several options where there is no monthly fee (usually from $15 - $30 per month - US dollars - with most merchant service companies). Their percentage rate per transaction is about the same as most merchant services. But unless you have an extremely high sales volume AND have a contract, you won't find a whole lot out there that's considerably less.

Bottom line - if you're looking at accepting credit cards as payment, shop around and do some serious digging for information about any merchant services company you're looking at contracting with. I worked for a company that got SERIOUSLY burned by a merchant services company. :forkoff: Also, DO NOT LEASE ANY EQUIPMENT. 99.9% of the time you can BUY the exact same equipment they are trying to get you to lease for a WHOLE LOT LESS from very reputable companies on the Internet.

Along with Paypal, I use Accept By Phone. ABP allows me to process credit card payments over the phone. Dial a toll free number, answer about 6 questions and viola, money's in the bank 2-3 business days later. Fees are a one time set up of $99, then $5.00 per month, plus 3.95% of any transaction - but there's no equipment to lease (or use)! :)

Guest TerryGreen

While I use a merchant account for the majority of my clients, I also use PayPal for out of country clients or those that want to use AMEX. I've never had any problems with PayPal, and their fees are not out of line as compared to many merchant accounts. Unfortunately, if you want to accept payment in a form other than checks, you will need to use something like a merchant account or PayPal, and there are going to be fees associated with the services. It is just one of the necessary costs of doing business.

I disagree with Carrie. I use PayPal and have never had any problems. I am sure there are issues that I haven't yet come across.

I did recently lose a contract because the organization in the US could not figure out how they would pay me. I thought that it would be simple to just send me a cheque, but they said there were legal issues in hiring a contractor from out of the country that they could not get their heads around.

I wonder what these legal issue were - I hope this does not become a trend.

I wonder what these legal issue were - I hope this does not become a trend.

I'd like to know what these legal issues are too. I've had 4 US clients in the past year and they have all paid by check.

Did the company tell you what their specific concerns were Darrell?

Guest TerryGreen

Darrell, Are you sure this company wasn't just feeding you a line of crud? I've got clients in Canada and have have been the client for Canadians and have never had any problems with any kind of legal issues. I know several US clients that have Canadian VAs and don't seem to have any legal issues either.

This was a major corporation that had no "process" in place to hire out of country contractors. It's okay though, I told the person that wanted to hire me to place an RFP on VANA to hire a VA from the US.

I also use Paypal with no issues whatsoever. The fees, to me, are worth it for the convenience of the service. And because so many people are familiar with Paypal, it's an easy sell to a client.

Tracey

I have used PayPal with no problems. If you want to save on the fees, and you don't mind waiting 2-3 business days before the money is in your bank, I tell my clients to Add a Bank to their PayPal account and pay my company with an eCheck.

If you want your money sooner than that, especially if it is a new client sending in a retainer to start services, then using PayPal to accept credits is worth the service fee that they charge.

You might want to check into WesternUnion.com. I've not used them to accept client payments, but they do have online payment features via credit cards and bank checks. It is difficult, however, to find any information on their website about fees.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Michele Guarino

www.ASecondOffice.com

Stay Away from Paypal. They have some rules that they do not reveal. Their practices, and fees can cost you a lot of money.

Carrie Lower

I disagree as well. Being a Canadian, Paypal has been a lifesaver to me. Without it, I would never have been able to accept money online since Canadians have a hard time getting merchant accounts. I would also check out 2checkout.com as well. I just started using them and although they rates are much higher than Paypal, they do allow for some different credit cards to be accepts without having to signup.

Tawnya