nsswork

Tape Transcription

Hi all. I think I asked this question a while back but got no answers, so I'm asking again. I have been in the admin support business for 30 years. Much of that time has been doing tape transcription for any number of different clients, needing different services. But for the most part, I am a brick and mortar business and have always had tapes and cassettes. Now, I'm taking the company in a new direction and am becoming more virtual. I still have the ability to have people upload files to the Internet (using sendthisfile for one) but am looking for another solution that I know is out there, but hiding BIG TIME from me. I want my clients to be able to pick up their phone, dial an 800 # and dictate. The file will go to the Internet where I can download it and transcribe it and then send it back to them. Does anyone know how this is done, or what companies offer these services? I would REALLY appreciate the information.

Thanks.

Nancy

Edited by nsswork

Hi Nancy,

A cursory Google search using the terms "phone-in dictation" and "online transcription", without specifying your 1-800 requirement, garnered me the following links;

http://www.nch.com.au/dialdictate/index.html

which describes the following uses:

Dial Dictate Phone Dictation System

Call in dictations and send via email

This phone dictation system lets you, and other users, dial into a computer running DialDictate to record dictation. Record, replay, edit and manage files by pressing numbers on your telephone keypad. When you have completed a recording, DialDictate will then immediately send the dictation to your typist for transcription by email, the local computer network or via the Internet.

With DialDictate you can dictate using most telephones. For example, you could dictate using a hands-free speakerphone or a cordless headset in your office, your car phone on the way to a meeting, your cell phone while you walk to work, a VoIP softphone (like Express Talk) from your PC or PDA or even a payphone overseas. Whether you are a single user or a multinational company, DialDictate is suitable for any number of users.

A full description of the DialDictate telephone dictation system follows but a quick way to try it out is to download and install now. You don't need to purchase to download and it only takes a couple of minutes to complete the process (click here to install). If you do not have telephone lines available yet, you can use the Call Simulator (from the menu) to test DialDictate. The default user access code is 0#.

http://www.lhcc.ca/?module=content&node=products-VXP

Includes:

Dictation over standard telephones

Originators can dictate from any touch-tone telephone in the world. VXP offers complete dictate, edit and review functionality using the keypad commands found on standard telephones and cell phones. Advanced editing gives users the ability to insert or delete sections of the audio that reduce medical errors, promote accuracy and reduce post-transcription editing.

VoiceWrite Telephone

This entry-level dictation station gives the user originator-friendly functionality over either direct-wire or telephone connections, including handset-based document controls, hands-free foot pedal capabilities and time-saving customizable function keys. Programmable function keys allow the customization of workflow activity not previously possible. Each key may be programmed to execute one or any number of cumulative functions, reducing the time required for transcriptionists to perform repetitive commands. Less time is spent managing jobs and more time transcribing.

http://www.nuance.com/straighttalk/

Includes:

Dictaphone Telephone & Connexions® Phone

Offers telephone dictation input from any touchtone phone. In addition, the Dictaphone Connexions® station provides control of record, rewind, play and fast-forward from the telephone handset, as well as a variety of other features including transcription, easily accessible throughout your organization.

http://www.startstop.com/philips9850.asp

Slightly different system requiring an actual piece of hardware:

Philips Telephone Desktop 9850 Call-In System

Simply pick up the phone and dictate into the Philips Digital Telephone Desktop 9850. It can be accessed and operated using virtually any commercially-available touchtone telephone, allowing your transcriptionist to transcribe urgent documents immediately. The moment you hang up, your recordings can be automatically downloaded via USB to your transcriptionist’s computer, an FTP server or an e-mail account. This allows for central file storage which increases security, ensuring that no files are lost, damaged or accessed by unauthorized persons.

Experience a new kind of mobility and freedom: the Philips Digital Telephone Desktop 9850 allows you to record dictations on the go, through the convenience of an everyday telephone connection.

And lastly, this thread in which Tawnya discusses a firm that does what you are describing and suggests talking to her contact, which might prove helpful,

http://www.mediamage.com/cvaforum/index.php?showtopic=1021

Hope this helps!

Kate V. Kerans, Virtual Paralegal

Kerans Virtual Assistance More tasks than time? We can help.

Your Virtual Paralegal Blog

Thanks, Misty for the thoughts. These are software/hardware for your computer not an Internet based system. I really appreciate your time looking for me, though. Every little bit helps.

Nancy

Hey Sharon, isn't this service a competing company that transcribes the work? I'm not sure I understand how it actually works with my company clients.

You may want to check out I dictate, which is a popular 1-800 number system that will charge you by the minute usage.

Nancy

Thanks, Misty for the thoughts. These are software/hardware for your computer not an Internet based system. I really appreciate your time looking for me, though. Every little bit helps.

Nancy

Sorry, Nancy, I must have misunderstood your initial post that states,

I want my clients to be able to pick up their phone, dial an 800 # and dictate. The file will go to the Internet where I can download it and transcribe it and then send it back to them. Does anyone know how this is done, or what companies offer these services? I would REALLY appreciate the information. Thanks. Nancy

Dial Dictate Phone Dictation System: This phone dictation system lets you, and other users, dial into a computer running DialDictate to record dictation. Record, replay, edit and manage files by pressing numbers on your telephone keypad. When you have completed a recording, DialDictate will then immediately send the dictation to your typist for transcription by email, the local computer network or via the Internet.

If that doesn't describe what you were requiring, their website goes on to say:

Features

* Records dictation by phone.

* Supports 1 to 32 telephone lines.

* Can concurrently support regular phone lines or Voice over IP (VoIP) lines. More info...

* Controls include record, play, rewind (constant pitch), fast-forward (constant pitch) and record edit.

* Record to .wav or .dct file formats (only .dct allows for encryption and sender information)

* Automatically send dictation recordings by email, local area network or internet.

* Recordings can be saved and retrieved at a later date for amendment.

Teletouch Services Inc. offers:

Incorporating the latest in dictation and transcription technologies, you can now dictate from the comfort of your Internet PC, telephone or Hand Held PDA device.

And also seems to go further and offer the exact services you seem to be wanting to offer:

Toll Free Telephone Dictation

* Digital dictation eliminate need for tapes

* Save money by outsourcing your dictation systems

* No more hardware or software maintenance costs

* Toll Free telephone dictation services for less than $0.10 per minute

* 24/7 access to your dictation system

* Automatic transmission of dictation files to Transcription Companies FTP Sites

* Work from home transcriptionist solution

* Caters to Medical and Legal profession in Canada, USA, and the U.K.

* Integrates with the Sonnet Workflow Solution

Hope you find what you're looking for, take care!

Kate V. Kerans, Virtual Paralegal

Kerans Virtual Assistance More tasks than time? We can help.

Your Virtual Paralegal Blog

Guest Lynn Carroll

Hello Nancy,

Andrea Cannavina at Legal Typist offers this service (phone-in dictation on an 800 number). I believe she can set you up so you can do the transcription yourself or outsource it to LegalTypist.

Lynn

Hi all. I think I asked this question a while back but got no answers, so I'm asking again. I have been in the admin support business for 30 years. Much of that time has been doing tape transcription for any number of different clients, needing different services. But for the most part, I am a brick and mortar business and have always had tapes and cassettes. Now, I'm taking the company in a new direction and am becoming more virtual. I still have the ability to have people upload files to the Internet (using sendthisfile for one) but am looking for another solution that I know is out there, but hiding BIG TIME from me. I want my clients to be able to pick up their phone, dial an 800 # and dictate. The file will go to the Internet where I can download it and transcribe it and then send it back to them. Does anyone know how this is done, or what companies offer these services? I would REALLY appreciate the information.

Thanks.

Nancy

Hi Nancy:

I have this technology ... and do offer access to it to other VAs. :) Thanks Lynn!

As for Dial Dictate ... is a decent program, but obviously one in which you need to maintain the physical equipment for your client's use. Since I work with attorneys and did not wish to have a server in my basement, the concurrent security and back up issues that would entail... I continued my search until I found my technology company which offers a 100% web based solution (also known as an ASP). My clients and typists can log in from any internet connection and securely process their work/files. The System (original, I know!) works as well for one person offices as it does 100's of attorneys. Of course, dictators/clients can also use the dial in feature ... where they call a toll free number, enter their user id and manipulate the recording through the keypad of the telephone. So I think it may be the perfect solution for you.

Let me know when a good time is for you to go over your and your client's options when upgrading to digital. Along with using the right technology for you to stay on top of all your clients/files, your clients have options on which equipment or software they wish to use to make the digital recordings (in addition to the phone, that is).

Hi, Andrea,

I'm glad I came across this thread. A client of mine called last week and he is trying to get his partner to dictate work. He asked me if I knew of a system besides tapes and digital recorders. I am very interested to know how the system would work wherein my clients call in and the file is sent to me to transcribe. If I had multiple clients, does each get a code to designate the transcription is for me?

Please share more.

Thanks,

Hi Andrea,

I use Express Dictate and Express Scribe for my client's transcription. I have one client who sends me his mp3, mp4 and mov files through Pando and I download them, transcribe them and then send it back through the email for him. The mp3 files download automatically into my Express Scribe and the audio on the mov files load into Quicktime and I transcribe off of that. Other clients just email me their audio files and I bring them up in Express Scribe.

Everything runs smooth and I have never ever had any problems, delays, nothing to get mad at----I love how this works so smooth and I have a lot of transcription clients!

Sue Rogers

www.easmyworkload.com

Hi Nancy, et al.

While Express Scribe and a lot of the other systems are fine for transcription (and some are highly recommended), I must state that the system Andrea is referring to offers much more than just 1-800 dictation and upload file capabilities. It offers dictator, transcriptionist and even courier access, and several reporting mechanisms. I highly recommend it (I turned Andrea on to it myself), and have used it in my business for over 10 years.

While I'm sure you're not necessarily interested in the nuts and bolts of how it works, let me say that it can maintain your billing (individual, client and subs) data as well as produce other reports.

I highly recommend that those interested in using a state-of-the-art "system" that keeps you on top of the latest in dictation/transcription technologies contact Andrea. If she is unavailable, I am willing to answer any of your questions.

Hi, Sharon,

Thanks for your response. Yes, if Andrea does not respond, I would be interested in learning about the system so that I can also offer this service to a few of my clients. :thumbup:

Thanks,

Michele Guarino

Guest KimHudson

Thanks.

Nancy

Hi Nancy,

I think this is what you're looking for. I'm just breaking into this business and, as such, haven't yet used this site, so I cannot vouch for them. Let me know how it goes.

http://www.nch.com.au/dialdictate/index.html

Kim

I've found the three products I use from NCH Software excellent. I don't use the call-in dictation but I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Please forgive my silence. My recent trade show appearances have been fruitful and I've been busy!

The System to which Sharon and I refer is not something you can download and run from a server or PC. It is a hosted application for which we pay to gain access.

The System allows for dictation through any device which can record; a web based account for those who dictate to manually load; and there's also a download available to automatically shuttle the files back and forth from dictator to the System securely.

The System also supports the other end of the dictation/transcription process as it offers typist and editor accounts - all web based.

Unique to this particular ASP is the ability not only to track each file, but to bill based on line, page and other variables.

Contact me at 866-848-2195 x101 or andrea@legaltypist.com if you'd like to discuss how the System may work for your VA practice.

Thanks!