Guest Arnie

Question for Ms. Angela Smith

Guest Arnie

Although my spelling and grammer are far from perfect I do strive to make it as correct as possible. I have both a Thesaurus and a Dictionary beside me at all times. My dyslexia and the fact that I type with only four (I remembered to type the word four from one of your lessons!!) fingers, they often do get the better of me. However I am never hurt when someone corrects my spelling, I know it's bad and I want it better. This brings me to my question, when using the word 'myself' as in Tawnya and myself, is it capitalized?

Thanks in advance

Arnold

Nope, "myself" would not be capitalized.

It would also depend on how you were using "Tawyna and myself" in the sentence. It may need to be "Tawnya and me"....such as, "Please contact Tawyna and me for more information." You can check by leaving out "Tawnya" and seeing if it sounds correct: "Please contact me for more information."

Great advice, Nebraska VA! :thumbup:

Compound personal pronouns such as myself, yourself, himself, and herself can be tricky. They should be used only when the nouns or pronouns to which they refer have been used elsewhere in the sentence. These sites have some great examples:

Dr. Grammar -- Me, Myself, or I?

Common Errors in English -- I/Me/Myself

The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation -- Pronouns (Rule 8)

Hope this helps! :)

Angela

Guest Arnie

I think I understand, but I am now confused

with

Tawnya and I, I would capitalize "I"

or

Tawnya and Arnold I would captalize "Arnold"

but with

Tawnya and myself I do not capitalize the "myself"

If I am speaking of a person are they, the person, not always capitalized no matter how they are reffered too?

why am I less important when the word myself is used :(

one final question

is Tawnya and me even correct English?

If it is not a proper name (person or place's actual name like Tawnya or Arnie) it is not capitalized. I would be the exception to that rule, I suppose.

As NebraskaVA pointed out, the quickest way to tell if you should use "me" or "myself" or something else is to take out the other person's name.

For example,

"Please join Tawnya and me" would be correct because if you take away Tawnya it still sounds right - "Please join me."

"Please join Tawnya and myself" is often incorrectly used, but it's wrong. If you take away Tawnya, you wouldn't say "Please join myself."

"Tawnya and I would like to see you" is correct because if you take away Tawnya you could still say "I would like to see you."

"Tawnya and me would like to see you" is wrong because if you take away Tawnya you wouldn't say "Me would like to see you."

Do those examples help a bit?

Or did I just confuse the issue... :rolleyes:

To answer your original question clearly... No, you should not capitalize "myself" in the middle of a sentence, but you probably shouldn't use the word myself in most cases like that anyway.

Edited by julieensor

I have a question related to this. Is "Finding time for yourself...." correct? Or, according to what I'm hearing here, should it be "Finding time for you...."? The first one sounds better to me.

Thanks for your input,

Kelly

Guest Arnie

Ok, I dun got edumicated!!!

But using the word 'me' just sounds wrong!!! But I will endeavor to be correct.

Just for the record, for the last three months I have been using 'myself' in my posts.

I'm not gunna change them!!!! :P

Many thanks for all of your answers ladies. It has been noted. :yay:

I have a question related to this. Is "Finding time for yourself...." correct? Or, according to what I'm hearing here, should it be "Finding time for you...."? The first one sounds better to me.

Great question, Kelly! That's a tricky one!

In the sentence "Find time for yourself," the word you is implied: "(You) find time for yourself." In this example, the word yourself refers back to the implied word you.

However, the following sentence is a little different: "Finding time for yourself is difficult." According to the guidelines explained above, it should be "Finding time for you is difficult." And you're right—this just doesn't sound right!

I don't have time to research this topic as thoroughly as I'd like, but the following definitions from Dictionary.com might shed some light on this. I would encourage everyone to skim through them when time allows.

Yourself

One of the examples given is "Don't blame yourself," which is simliar to "Find time for yourself."

Myself

Pay special attention to the usage note below the definition. Merriam-Webster also includes a similar usage note here.

You'll notice that all of these definitions allow for the informal use of myself or yourself in sentences similar to Arnie's: "Tawnya and myself...." I was surprised to find that even The Chicago Manual of Style (15th edition, 5.53) says that compound personal pronouns (yourself and myself) can be substituted for simple personal pronouns (you and me). However, Chicago takes care to mention that this is not well established in modern usage and recommends using simple personal pronouns (you and me) if they will suffice.

To summarize, it looks as if yourself and myself are often used informally in place of you and me, but that many grammar and usage authorities frown upon this practice. Clear as mud?

Again, I don't have time to research this in more detail, so I'm hoping others will jump in and elaborate on this topic. The more the merrier! :)

Hope this helps!

Angela

The reason it sounds wrong is because we have it beaten into our skulls as kids to say "Tawnya and I went to the store" instead of "Tawnya and me went to the store." Makes you feel like any time you add "and me" you must be doing it wrong!

Don't worry... there are very few people who don't unknowingly say, write, or pronounce something the wrong way on a regular basis. I recently learned that the t in often is silent! I found that on a web page once with a list of common mispronunciations, and I was so embarrassed that I'd said it wrong for so many years. Apparently there are a lot of people around here don't know that rule... :whistlin:

You know what really bugs me? When I see someone spell definitely "definately." I have no clue why that word in particular always irritates me, but it does... ha ha

Edited by julieensor

I recently learned that the t in often is silent! I found that on a web page once with a list of common mispronunciations, and I was so embarrassed that I'd said it wrong for so many years.

If it makes you feel any better, Julie, both Dictionary.com and Merriam-Webster.com include two different pronunciations for often: one with the t sound, and one without! Also, take a look at the usage note at Dictionary.com for an interesting history lesson on the pronunciation of the word.

You know what really bugs me? When I see someone spell definitely "definately." I have no clue why that word in particular always irritates me, but it does... ha ha

I can add a few words to that list: separate, calendar, stationery (when referring to paper), and desperate. If only words were spelled the same way they're pronounced!

You're absolutely right, though! Everyone spells or pronounces something incorrectly. I recently learned that the word awhile is sometimes spelled as two words depending on how it's used. Who knew? Here's a really funny one—I'm currently editing a transcript in which the transcriptionist typed "another words" every time the speaker said "in other words." I'm pretty sure that's the way she pronounces it too! :)

Angela

If only words were spelled the same way they're pronounced!

Back in the days when I was a French teacher, I used to have this poem posted in my classroom:

So You Think French is Weird?

I take it you already know

Of tough and bough and cough and dough

Others may stumble, but not you

On hiccough, thorough, rough and through.

Well done!

But now you wish perhaps

To learn of less familiar traps?

Beware of heard, a dreadful word,

That looks like beard and sounds like bird.

And dead -- it's said like bed not bead --

For goodness' sake, don't call it deed!

Watch out for meat and great and threat

They sound like suite and straight and debt.

A moth is not a moth in mother

Nor both in bother, broth in brother

And here is not a match for there

Nor dear and fear for bear and pear.

And then there's dose and rose and lose --

Just look them up -- with goose and choose.

And cork and work, and card and ward

And front and font, and word and sword

And do and go and wart and cart

Come come! I've hardly made a start!

A dreadful language? Man alive --

I'd mastered it when I was five!

That's a great poem, Leanne! And SO true—unfortunately! :blink:

So, you were a French teacher in a previous life? Is there anything you *can't* do? LOL

Angela

Julie,

The technique you used to distinguish between I and me was correct. Given that - Tawnya and I went to the store is correct. You could say "I went to the store" and "Tawnya went to the store" and both would be correct. However, it would be incorrect to say Tawnya and me went to the store because you wouldn't say "me went to the store". Me and myself are pronouns - not proper nouns and I is always capitalized no matter where you use it. One of the most difficult things about the English language is that often we think things are correct or incorrect because of how they sound - that is a habit we should break as it is not always the case.

Hope that helps.

Laurie

The reason it sounds wrong is because we have it beaten into our skulls as kids to say "Tawnya and I went to the store" instead of "Tawnya and me went to the store." Makes you feel like any time you add "and me" you must be doing it wrong!

Don't worry... there are very few people who don't unknowingly say, write, or pronounce something the wrong way on a regular basis. I recently learned that the t in often is silent! I found that on a web page once with a list of common mispronunciations, and I was so embarrassed that I'd said it wrong for so many years. Apparently there are a lot of people around here don't know that rule... :whistlin:

Wow, Leanne, didn't know you taught French! Can you teach me a couple of phrases? I'd like to know how you would say "Jonathan sucks but he's nice so be kind to him" in French. :victory:

Hey Arnie, nice avatar! :D