Sign in to follow this  
Judy L

WordPress woes

Today, on one of my new blogs (not a LOT of posts), there was a note at the admin area saying "There is a newer version, please update."

I'm sure I did this the absolutely MOST sloppy way, but I managed to make a mess. I am pretty sure it is updated because the message is no longer there! What a load of crap! Why do older uploads work without the little warning? What happens if I just don't do that again?

In accordance with WordPress recommendations, I did a backup download to my computer of the posts. But, I ended up taking a new MySQL database for the update. After having everything MIA off and on all afternoon, I don't know that I want to try to repopulate with that backup.

Have you all heard that pulling on your hair makes it grow? I hope you don't learn to repeat the language I've been using.

Guest Lisa Boyd

Hey Judy,

I'm not sure what parts you had problems with but maybe it'll help to think of it like this.

1. WordPress is trying to be helpful and notify you of upgrades. You do not have to upgrade, but in most cases you should. They provided some security upgrades in their last little upgrade. So it's good that you were at least trying to upgrade :)

2. When you are running a WordPress blog on your own domain, think of your blog in 2 parts. The first part contains the actual WordPress files (the part that makes everything work). The second part contains your MySQL database. Your database contains the text and various information for each of your posts.

3. Before you upgrade, you will want to backup certain things. First, you can backup your database. When you upgrade WordPress, it may need to make changes to the database (adding tables or such). You will need to backup anything in your WordPress directory that you may have changed in the wp-content folder -- ie. custom theme, the uploads folder, and possibly the plugins.

4. When you are going through the upgrade, you will want the WordPress to access the same database. Only if something goes wrong, do you want to mess with the database.

Does any of this help? Your original database didn't disappear -- so if you can get the new WordPress to reference it -- not a new one.

Lisa B.

Thank you for that information. It fits a picture I was kind of getting, but there were some views you gave that I didn't have. Particularly the part of the database and the WordPress upload being different.

I did mess this one up and the only path is to just re-do those posts.

At one point during the upgrade, the guidelines addressed having something overwrite the old parts. I need to go through it more carefully and work it out in a paper diagram before starting, because as you point out the upgrades are improvements that help me. After this all started, I find I have some old versions that don't have a place to put tags for instances. This was probably a plugin once and is part of the system now.

At present, all of my WordPress is uploaded using my FrontPage 2003 with ftp. I was (and am) confused if I delete the old part and put in the new one for the upload or if they both need to be there. Last night, I did delete them both, but by that time had also tried to just ftp the new WP using FileZilla. Then, I panicked and thought the database was probably in a mess, so continued down the road to insanity. (I did this once with my wireless router -- it took me a few months to get up the nerve to confess to my computer guy and get it fixed. He gently told me to keep my big fingers OFF of the reset and preferably the blue box all together) Now, how to apply this lesson to my WordPress work.

Thanks again.

OMG!!! Lisa came out of hiding!!!

Patty Dost

Time Is Of The Es-Cents . . . Saving Your Business Time and Money ~~~ Virtually

Interested in Subcontracting with Virtual Assistants? Here's the ebook that will assist you.....The VAs VA

QUESTION :: What do VAs do when they've got big plans but don't know where to start?

ANSWER :: They download the VAnetworking Kick Start Package!

It's FREE :: It's FUN :: And you'll get something DONE :: Download yours now.

Guest Lisa Boyd
OMG!!! Lisa came out of hiding!!!

Shhhssshhhh! I'm on the lookout for WordPress questions for my ebook :) I'm not exactly out of hiding yet!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Want to Become a VA?
    Invest in The VAC!
    How Do YOU Startup A

Virtual Assistant Organization Association
    Upgrade Your FREE Account & Receive Today...
    * Access to Our Bus JOB Board *
    * Group Coaching & Training*
    *Training Tracks*
    * Private Mastermind Area *
    * Business Templates *
    * Contracts & Forms*
    * Plus VAinsider Perks! *
    UPGRADE HERE

HootSuite - Social Media Dashboard

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.