How Many Legal VAs Are There At VANA?

Hi this is my first post to the VANA forum (although I know it should've been at the introduction forum)

Here are my answers:

1. How long you've been a part of the legal industry?

I've worked in law firms for about 15 years now. I'm trying to get more business so I can quit my job.

2. How long you've been a VA?

Since June 2006

3. Your primary service offering?

Legal administrative support - paralegal, secretarial including business management

4. If you could do one thing over, what would it be?

Not wait so long to start this business.

5. How you've marketed yourself in order to gain clients.

I have a few clients by word of mouth. However, I will be launching a marketing campaign to gain a larger client base very soon. I would like to put together a group of virtual legal assistants who are specialized in different areas of the law so if I don't specialize in a certain field, then I know of someone I can go to as a subcontractor for my business. (I know I can use the VANA forum but I want this organized ahead of time if possible.)

Unfortunatley, I keep missing the seminars on these types of topics. If anyone has any tips on how to organize a virtual group or is interested in this, please let me know.

Thanks!

Stephanie Laste, REVA

Laste Professional Resources

www.lasteproresources.com

email: slaste@lasteproresources.com

Well, this was posted almost a month ago, but I'll go ahead and answer...better late than never!

I started in the legal industry as a legal secretary a little over 20 years ago--yikes! That long???

I've been a VA for a little over 10 years.

My VA business is not directed towards the legal industry, but my main clientele are court reporters that I transcribe for.

Not have court reporting transcription as my primary business source...which I'm working on making some adjustments to that.

Mostly word of mouth.

Jama St. John

Gulf Coast Office Support

www.gulfcoastos.com

Wow, it's nice to see so many VA's in the legal industry! Here is my info:

I have been in the legal industry for over 20 years as a paralegal and as an account executive for litigation support companies.

I officially started my business at the beginning of this year.

I provide administrative services, data entry services, conference coordination for the National Bar, etc.

Start my business sooner.

Website, RFPs, networking, word of mouth, press releases and anything else I can think of to get my name out there! :D

Good Afternoon, I am responding to your roll call

I have been a Legal Secretary since 1993

I guess I can say that I have been doing it since 1996 when I went to work for a husband and wife attorney's office who allowed me to work from home and I had to come up with a company name.

I mainly offer any legal typing services as well as Personal Injury Claim Processing which has really been working well for me.

I actually have done something over. When I first started out in 1996, I was careless in the way I ran my business. Now, I have done a lot of things differently, business accounts, Tax ID number, etc.

I have marketed via e-mails, word of mouth, website, post card mailings

Hi Andrea,

Here are the answers to the questions you asked:

1. How long you've been a part of the legal industry? I have been a legal assistant since 1992, with 1 year as the office manager of a medium sized public defenders office.

2. How long you've been a VA? Since May 2006

3. Your primary service offering? Transcription, document preparation, bankruptcy petition preparation, calendar/email management

4. If you could do one thing over, what would it be? Learn how to do my website myself so that I could add pages for incentives.

5. How you've marketed yourself in order to gain clients. Postcards, networking, word of mouth, website.

Denise

Hi Andrea and to the other forum members,

I've been a part of the legal industry since approximately 1988. I started out as a firm receptionist while still in college. After gradulation, I took a legal secretarial position at a large Canadian firm.

I am a relative newie to the VA world and offer routine legal secretarial and support solutions, including transcription, document preparation and calendar/email management.

I really enjoy working with computers and if I had to start over, I would have gained some basic programming and web design first - but I love the legal field and would have been drawn there anyway. It is never too late to learn and it truly is a life-long process. So, that's my next step to add skills to my service base.

I am currently an OSEB student (self-employed benefit program for those of you who have never seen the term). Once I've completed the program, I will be arranging to have my website professionally redesigned. I will be taking some time to build relationships with other VAs and then marketing my services to the Canadian legal community and/or small and growing businesses.

Elizabeth

I don't have the extensive legal background that you guys possess, so I don't know if I qualify to use the term "Legal VA". However, part of my service offering is geared to attorneys - preparing bankruptcy petitions. Can I be accepted into the fold as a BLV (Baby Legal VA)? :rolleyes:

I don't have the extensive legal background that you guys possess, so I don't know if I qualify to use the term "Legal VA". However, part of my service offering is geared to attorneys - preparing bankruptcy petitions. Can I be accepted into the fold as a BLV (Baby Legal VA)? :rolleyes:

Sure!

:vababy2:

Isn't that a coincidence? I just saw this post and the day that it was posted was my BIRTHDAY and we're talking LEGAL!!!

I started in the legal industry approx. 20+ years ago.

Approx. 1 year

General

Legal

Real Estate

Start my business sooner!

E-mails

Word of mouth

Press Releases

Joinging local organizations

21 years

5 - 1/2 years

Corporate, Real Estate and Estate Planning. I also dabble in contracts.

Go to law school and earn my law degree.

95% has been word of mouth. My clients are very good are referring other people to me. The other 5% has been attending networking meetings. I have not found any of the usual paying for advertisement or direct mailing to attorneys to be helpful. I have not received any clients from that method.

Guest AprilTara

Even though this is kind of an old thread, I figured it wouldn't hurt to bump it up by adding my info.

I've worked in the legal field for 5 years and I'm a few classes away from a BA in Paralegal Studies

Just started

As far as legal services, litigation support...drafting & proofreading pleadings, calendaring, research (I LOVE legal research & writing)

I would've finished my degree a long time ago and get my CLA/CP certification

Networking online, press release, radio show. My postcards and business cards just came in the mail yesterday so that's next.

Hi,

I'm new to VANetworking. Have you compiled data from this poll? I'm very interested in reviewing it.

Legal Poll...Here are my responses.

I just completed my paralegal certification via NALA (Nov. 07). I've been a part of the legal industry for 3+ years.

I'm sort of a newbie - long story :whistlin: ...

Generalist, Executive/Board/Legal Support, Marketing and Business Development

Never have closed the doors to my business several years ago. I would have continued the journey despite the obstacles.

Still working on this :rolleyes: . I've re branded my old business and have developed an advisory board. Referrals. Networking. Building relationships. Now, I'm actually executing a targeted marketing plan to span 18-24 months. In the process of developing a website and other collateral materials.

Thanks!

Tiffany-