How Many Legal VAs Are There At VANA?

Guest VirtualJuliana

Hi - I'm pretty new to the board, and late to this thread, but here goes:

1. How long you've been a part of the legal industry?

I've worked for the criminal justice system from 2/1985 to 12/2007 (99% in civil service, I've done everything from legal typist clerk to child support officer to Sr. legal & admin. secretary, with a little reserve cop, welfare fraud, background & criminal investigation thrown in)

2. How long you've been a VA?

I started out with just transcription and data entry services in March 2008; I'm (re-)launching with expanded legal services on Sept. 1.

3. Your primary service offering?

Has been transcription (interviews, 911 calls, etc.), now adding document preparation, data management & processing,

digitizing recorded media (audio & video cassettes).

4. If you could do one thing over, what would it be?

Taken my friend's advice ("don't limit yourself to doing just transcripts!") a LOT earlier.

My sweetie probably wishes that I had set aside earnings before jumping into self-employment.

5. How you've marketed yourself in order to gain clients?

• Word of mouth so far - it's a small legal community and I have "connections" in the form of former colleagues/co-workers (attorneys and investigators).
  • I'm building my website and got a great domain: montereyparalegal.com
  • I'm studying for paralegal certification, not just for the education, since I know little of civil law, but with the eventual goal of increasing marketability to attorneys outside my local area.

Juliana

Hi there - my response are as noted below:

I have been a part of the legal industry for 9 years.

I have been a VA/VP since May 2007; I currently only have one full time client.

Drafting Legal Documents; Legal Research; Incorporation/Organization of Legal Entities; eOrganization - all in tax and corporate law.

I would have incorporated myself sooner.

5. How you've marketed yourself in order to gain clients.

No.

Kindly,

Tracy

Musquodoboit Harbour, NS

Guest VirtualJuliana

I would have incorporated myself sooner.

Hi, Tracy. May I ask at what point you did incorporate, and what has been the benefit? (I know some of the benefits in general, I don't think I have enough business/clients yet for it to be of benefit to me, but in future...?)

Thanks for any feedback!

Juliana

Guest babieblues15

Hi Andrea:

I am submitting this in response to your roll call:

1. How long you've been a part of the legal industry? I have been a Legal Assistant for 7 years in the real world. 5 years of being accredited through National Association of Legal Secretaries.

2. How long you've been a VA? I just opened my business this year. I had a typing service since 1994 but I really started marketing it this year.

3. Your primary service offering? Transcription of interviews, correspondence, pleadings. Also in the future I will be offering paralegal services as well. I am entering college to become a paralegal.

4. If you could do one thing over, what would it be? Learn web design.

5. How you've marketed yourself in order to gain clients. Google Adwords, Yellowpages.com, VA directory, brochures, emails. I am working full time also so I am not able to yet have face to face meetings.

Julia Wojdacz, ALS

http://www.juliasvirtualassistantservice.com.

Guest Kristina Duncan

Hi Everyone. I have been reading the posts and all I can say is OMG!!! You all have so many years of experience behind you to help you. I'm still as green as they come.

I started in the legal industry in January 2007. I had just moved home and a family friend was looking for a new assistant for his office which consisted of himself and his partner. I said yes eventhough I had never worked for a law firm before. It was a steep learning curve, but found that I loved it and had a nack for it.

I started my business in January of this year. As I said, I am as green as they come.

Paralegal services. I am not really picky about what area of law, but I would desire getting some environmental law experience on my resume.

Having more money in my savings account before plunging into this...or having a mentor before plunging into this.

I haven't yet. I don't have a clue about marketing.

Hello Everyone! Here are my responses!

1. How long you've been a part of the legal industry? I've been a legal secretary/translator for over 15 years.

2. How long you've been a VA? about 6 months (officially)

3. Your primary service offering? Secretarial and translation assistance in the following administrative capacity:

Transcription of Legal Documents

Translation Services (Spanish/English) - Certified

Preparation of Pleadings and Briefs Formatted Properly

Application of Numbering Designs and Styles

Generation of Table of Contents and Table of Authorities

Professional Resume Writing

Internet Research Services

4. If you could do one thing over, what would it be? Should've started this a long time ago!

5. How you've marketed yourself in order to gain clients. So far just person to person marketing and social networks, but am looking for better marketing strategies, I am open to suggestions!

Thanks! :)

Guest amandahazel

Hello!

I'm replying to Andrea's roll call. :P

I've worked in the legal industry since April of 2007. Started out as a receptionist then moved up to a paralegal.

I started my business two weeks ago. I am as green as they come.

Paralegal services focusing mostly on Family, Civil Litigation and Criminal Defense.

More research into the VA world. Also more research narrowing down a target market.

I'm in the process of completing my website and putting together a flier/brochure to leave in the Lawyer's Lounge at the two local courthouses. Also looking at joining the local Family Law Bar Association and the Paralegal Division of the State Bar of Texas.

I'd love to exchange ideas with other veteran VA in the legal industry!

I'm brand new to the VA field but I'll answer your questions.

I have been a litigation legal secretary for the past eleven (11) years at firms in New York City.

I just launched my business a couple of weeks ago. Still in the process of marketing to get my first client.

Legal administrative support, general administrative support, transcription, data entry, document translation (Spanish-English)

I haven't done anything wrong yet. Still learning!

I've registered at VANA, VA Forums, and Virtual Assistantville. I'm planning on targeting attorneys that are either sole proprietors or small law firms that cannot afford to hire an employee, but I'm still in the process of trying to figure out the best way to accomplish that.

Hi Everyone. I have been reading the posts and all I can say is OMG!!! You all have so many years of experience behind you to help you. I'm still as green as they come.

I started in the legal industry in January 2007. I had just moved home and a family friend was looking for a new assistant for his office which consisted of himself and his partner. I said yes eventhough I had never worked for a law firm before. It was a steep learning curve, but found that I loved it and had a nack for it.

I started my business in January of this year. As I said, I am as green as they come.

Paralegal services. I am not really picky about what area of law, but I would desire getting some environmental law experience on my resume.

Having more money in my savings account before plunging into this...or having a mentor before plunging into this.

I haven't yet. I don't have a clue about marketing.

Hello ,

OOPS I missed this thread !! How did that happen.

My story is a bit different.

I hold a Bachelor's in Criminal Law since 1994, I worked in a NY law office and I was a representative at the Queens DA office for my high school (wow how time flies) ;) I interned for Consumer affairs. I also worked in a Greek Law office.

In relation to legal assistance this is the experience I have:

I provided assistance and personal time ( for a relative) communicating with a lawyer in NY about a rent control case. I had to send the client's questions, answers and down loading legal documents having them signed and mailed. I had to translate from English to Greek and vice versa. This case took about 3 months to complete very difficult case BUT LOVED every minute of it.

( Sorry , this is what I actually did as a VA)I worked as a VA for three years for yachting company based here in Corfu, Greece. I booked yachting holidays mostly to Americans but not only.

Acquiring answers , typing client's answers and attaching them to an email.

Being on the phone with the attorney most of the time. Down loading legal documents and translating them.

Taking a paralegal course , I love the law any type.

I haven't yet ( not in this field) ( don't know how to) I'm trying to offer basic help like writing articles.