topshelfva

Going for my AssistU CPVA Certification!

Hi everyone! :)

I have started the ball rolling. I put in my "application" to become AssistU CPVA certified. The certification process will start in July. I just need to send in my $200 for the certification "test." It is a real world test, eight weeks, on average 19 hours a week. It is an extremely tough certification process, so I have my work cut out for me. At least I have a couple months to prepare.

I just know that as the VA industry grows, AssistU has such a high reputation, that this certification is really going to count in the long run. I always tell people that in my opinion, the difference in an AssistU Certification and "some" of the others is that it is like having a degree from a community college, or having a degree from an Ivy League school such as Harvard or Yale.

Wish me luck! I will keep you guys posted starting in July.

Congrats Naomi on taking this leap of faith in yourself! I didn't realize until just now that you weren't certified there since you had attended the course. It is more of a process than I thought and I feel this is good for the industry since having this certs behind you is an enormous accomplishment...a lot bigger process than I had originally believed it was. I know you will do well in it Naomi, your passion shows through in your post and I am excited for you...let us know how we can help if we can. Is it written tests or more like work experience for this time period?

TAwnya

Great News Naomi!

I'm sure you will get through it without a problem. Keep us updated on your progress.

Good Luck!

:flowers:

Jennifer

Congratulations and Good Luck Naomi!!! :thumbup: I know you'll do great!

Lori

:)

Thanks everyone! :)

Tawnya, the test is a real world test. I will be assigned to a current AssistU Trainer, another CPVA or CMVA. I will be their Virtual Assistant in essence. Fifty core competencies will be tested. I am not sure yet all that will be entailed. When I was doing my research, I read an article from a Texas newspaper on an AssistU VA who had just received her certification. If memory serves me correctly (and this was over two years ago, so who knows how good my memory is), one of her tasks was to have a yacht shipped from Hong Kong to the United States. The document she had to produce for her exam ended up to be 70 pages long.

I have no idea what I will be responsible for to accomplish passing my certification. I am sure there is going to be a confidentiality clause that I will have to sign, just as I did for the VTP exam, which took three days to complete (after the 20 week training program).

They emphasize, as they did with the training, that this certification process is extremely rigorous and tough. We must be completely prepared to take the exam and arrange the necessary time in our businesses and lives.

P.S. In order to apply to take the CPVA exam a VA has to be in her business full-time (in other words not working in the corporate world), full-time is the number of hours she wants to run her business, passed the VTP training program, has a minimum of 250 billable hours with clients, and has a full business structure set up.

In order to apply to take the CMVA exam a VA has to have 1,500 billable hours.

Naomi

This sounds like an incredible venture! An intense "test" for everyone but I know with all your strengths and knowledge you will do fine. A pat on the back always helps to get you going. Best of luck to you. You certainly deserve it

:D lynn

Whew! That sounds great Naomi (and exhausting!). Can't wait to hear when you are made an official CVPA!

Perfectly stated!!!

An intense "test" for everyone but I know with all your strengths and knowledge you will do fine. A pat on the back always helps to get you going. Best of luck to you. You certainly deserve it

Good luck Naomi!!!

kimmer :D

Congratulations, Naomi. :flowers:

You are an inspiration to the rest of us. Best of luck. You will do well.

Regards,

Cathy

Congratulations, Naomi! :cheers:

I think education is important as well. It doesn't matter where you get it because knowledge is power (sounds corny, huh?) and it will guide you through the ups and downs in life (I sound like a NBC "The more you know...." commercial!). :lol:

The certification sure does sound tough, but I know you'll do well! You dedicate yourself in supporting and providing information to fellow VA's day in and day out so I know you'll dedicate yourself to this and excel.

Good luck and keep us posted!!! :thumbup:

Thanks Becki for checking in on this. I just started this week. It is going well. I have a lot of work ahead of me. I was given a 13 page document of instructions and nine pages is work, a lot of work! LOL

Much of it is ultimately not only going to be the work I produce, it is also going to test my soft skills, which are highly important for a Virtual Assistant. Skills such as communication, clarity, handling conflicts, using technology to find information, etc.

I'll let you know if I am sane by the end of July, I'll let you know if I make the certification at the end of August! In one piece! LOL