Sign in to follow this  
Dana Fortier

VA Scam

I hope this is the right spot to post this, but if not, I'm sure someone will put this post where it needs to be to be seen by everyone.

Here is the "new & improved" e-mail I just got from this dude. It came into my MSN Inbox, which I think may have been filtered through my website e-mail (website e-mails are forwarded to my MSN mailbox). This is the entirety of the e-mail I got from him:

tmustmk2@yahoo.com (tmustmk2@yahoo.com)

Sent:Sat 12/08/07 11:18 AM

To: tmustmk2@yahoo.com

Hello, my name is Todd Mayer from London. I run a consultancy firm here with registered address 702 Old Kent Road, SE1 8JU

A client of mine who is due to arrive in the United States in few weeks time is interested in your virtual services. Can you tell me a little more about your mode of operation?

If interested, please reply

Thanks

Todd Mayer

This e-mail is different from the ones he's sent previously. This one snuck past my spam filters, so he's figured out something new & improved.

DO NOT fall for this guys scam. There's been a lot going around about him on the boards. I guess someone got taken by him recently, and they're spreading the word.

:forkoff::forkoff::forkoff::forkoff::forkoff::forkoff:

Guest Chai

Appearantly several of us got the email this time around. If you look at the "to" field it is to him.. so I am assuming the rest of us were BCC'd I did reply just to get the rest of the email, and it is the same story as before.

Thanks for the email.

While Mary Morgan (my client) is in the United States she will need your services in Word processing, transcription, Power Point presentations, scanning, data entry, proofreading,

database management, and Internet research over the next 2 months. She will be arriving your city in about 3 weeks from now.

Will like you to know if you can do this and pricing for that. She is a real estate broker, 56 years of age.

Please address and give me a quote based on

this.

Todd

His trick is that he contracts with you then mails you a certified check that is way over the agreed amount. When you contact him about it, he then states that it was a paperwork problem, and asks you to wire or western union the difference back to him. Meanwhile sometime after you refund him the overpayment your bank finds out that the certified check is a phony, it bounces and he is nowhere to be found. And to top it off... Mary never shows up in your area. More information is available at: http://activerain.com/blogsview/131714/New-Scam-or-so

Carrie

Guest InTraining

Interesting, I got the same email this morning and promptly deleted it. I've heard about him for sometime now but never had contact until now.

You know, I wonder if there's more to his sending these emails than just getting a reply and possibly getting someone to go for the money scam he runs? Though my virus software did not " tingle" any, I just wonder?

Edited by InTraining

Interesting, I got the same email this morning and promptly deleted it. I've heard about him for sometime now but never had contact until now.

You know, I wonder if there's more to his sending these emails than just getting a reply and possibly getting someone to go for the money scam he runs? Though my virus software did not " tingle" any, I just wonder?

He got through my spam blocker, too (and its pretty good), and that concerns me - how did he get this information? I posted this same message in a couple of ther forums and about 10 people have replied that they got the same thing.

Scary.

I just don't want to see some newer VA think this is the golden ticket and get scammed. That's why I'm posting it wherever I can. If I could figure out how to get some internet "cop" on his case, I'd do it, too.

Did I miss the one about this guy?

It sounds "scammy" too.

Kathy Worthington

www.VirtualAnswers.net

~Big Business Results on a Small Business Budget

--------------

Re.From:Mr. Frank Thomas

Director of Overseas Affairs

Our ref: CHG/CW/001/05

Hello,

It is my pleasure to write you in respect of our Company Soft Touch

Designs Fabrics& Textile Co., Ltd. located at JOHNS WOOD RD,LONDON,NW8QP

UNITED KINGDOM. We are experts in the sale of Textile materials; we

export into Canada/America, Asia, and parts Europe.We are looking for a

reliable commission agent who can help us receive payments from customers

that our company supplies goods to in Canada, America, Europe and Asia as

well as making payments through you to us.

Please if you are reliable and interested in been a commission agentwith

our company we will be glad but you have to be an honest and a trustworthy

person. Note that, as our commission agent, you will receive some

percentage and motivations on whatever amount you receive on behalf of our

company. The percentage will be 10% of every payment you receive on

behalf Subject to your satisfaction you will be given the opportunity to

negotiate your mode of which we will pay for your services as our

commission agent in Canada, America, Asia and Europe.

All you do is receive payment from our client in the State in America

there The payments will be issued out in your name and you get them

cashed in your bank deduct your weekly salary which will be 10% of total

money you receive and forward the balance to the company via MoneyGram or

Western Union Money Transfer.

If you are intrested fill this form and send to it back this address

info@softtouchdesigns.com with the following informations

FIRST NAME.....

SURNAME........

ADDRESS........

STATE.......

CITY..........

ZIP CODE.......

COUNTRY.......

PHONE NUMBER (S) ....

GENDER...

MARITAL

STATUS...

AGE.......

COMPANY NAME (If any).............................

OCCUPATION....................................... .

I AWAIT YOUR URGENT RESPONSE.

Thank you for your time as we are looking forward to working with you

asyou send your response back to us.

Kindest Regards,

Mr. Frank Thomas

Did I miss the one about this guy?

It sounds "scammy" too.

Kathy Worthington

www.VirtualAnswers.net

~Big Business Results on a Small Business Budget

--------------

Re.From:Mr. Frank Thomas

Our ref: CHG/CW/001/05

Hello,

It is my pleasure to write you in respect of our Company Soft Touch

Designs Fabrics& Textile Co., Ltd. located at JOHNS WOOD RD,LONDON,NW8QP

UNITED KINGDOM. We are experts in the sale of Textile materials; we

export into Canada/America, Asia, and parts Europe.We are looking for a

reliable commission agent who can help us receive payments from customers

that our company supplies goods to in Canada, America, Europe and Asia as

well as making payments through you to us.

Please if you are reliable and interested in been a commission agentwith

our company we will be glad but you have to be an honest and a trustworthy

person. Note that, as our commission agent, you will receive some

percentage and motivations on whatever amount you receive on behalf of our

company. The percentage will be 10% of every payment you receive on

behalf Subject to your satisfaction you will be given the opportunity to

negotiate your mode of which we will pay for your services as our

commission agent in Canada, America, Asia and Europe.

All you do is receive payment from our client in the State in America

there The payments will be issued out in your name and you get them

cashed in your bank deduct your weekly salary which will be 10% of total

money you receive and forward the balance to the company via MoneyGram or

Western Union Money Transfer.

If you are intrested fill this form and send to it back this address

info@softtouchdesigns.com with the following informations

FIRST NAME.....

SURNAME........

ADDRESS........

STATE.......

CITY..........

ZIP CODE.......

COUNTRY.......

PHONE NUMBER (S) ....

GENDER...

MARITAL

STATUS...

AGE.......

COMPANY NAME (If any).............................

OCCUPATION....................................... .

I AWAIT YOUR URGENT RESPONSE.

Thank you for your time as we are looking forward to working with you

asyou send your response back to us.

Kindest Regards,

Mr. Frank Thomas

I've gotten this guy, too. He gets into the spam folder, though. Todd showed up in my regular "in" box today. Creep.

Guest coxadmin

I think the thing about Todd's email is that it doesn't follow typical scam emails, which makes it difficult for spam blockers to do the job - maybe adding the phrase "Todd Mayer" to your blocking criteria will assist.

If Todd or any of those other people wanted to know more about "mode of operation" beyond what is on a VA's website -- let him give us a call! :naughty: It's ashame all the spammers don't put their time and efforts towards something good on the Net or maybe get a real job. :rolleyes:

It is a shame and what was said earlier is exactly right, sometimes people look at it as a golden ticket and they go for it. It is great that the word is getting around and hopefully that will help to decrease the amount of takers they actually get. The ones that ask for the name, add, phone, etc there are a lot of those that go around as well. It is sad but it just means we have to stay on top of things a bit more.

Guest Lisat

Greetings All,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. Please re-direct me if not. I have been recently contacted by a person calling themselves Todd Mayer from London. I was really pumped up at first to think my business actually reached London but as correspondence went on, I became very suspicious so I Googled him and found that I'm not his first contact. In fact, one VA member posted on another site that he was going through VANA's contact list which I'm wondering how but anyway, he talks about having a client coming to YOUR area, wherever you are, that needs your assistance. In my experience, he states that he has a consultancy firm and gives an address but doesn't give the actual name of his business. He never really answered any of my business type questions and I began to wonder if I would be speaking with his client directly at all and exactly what role he played in this. He asked me about fees for my services and when I responded, he offered to pay me twice what I quoted him, made a reference that I would be HIS client and that this other client I was working for would be paying me 60% up front with a cashiers check from her account to mine which I would in turn send him half of the money back to him for his brokerage services. I'm sure he goes by different names but be safe. Do not offer account numbers, social security numbers or the like. The scammers are out in force!

Lisa Towry, Wise Assets

This guy got through the spam filters of a lot of VA's this weekend. Me, included.

I'm glad you didn't get caught up in this spider's web.

Guest Lisat

Yes, Dana. This is exactly the same email I received. It's too bad someone had to get taken by this scum bag. I was playing for a minute but things quickly started to seem unusual for a sincere client and I Googled his name and found that I was not the only one. It was a good eye opener though to remember to be on alert because not everyone is an honest person, unfortunately!

Lisa

I hope this is the right spot to post this, but if not, I'm sure someone will put this post where it needs to be to be seen by everyone.

Here is the "new & improved" e-mail I just got from this dude. It came into my MSN Inbox, which I think may have been filtered through my website e-mail (website e-mails are forwarded to my MSN mailbox). This is the entirety of the e-mail I got from him:

Hello, my name is Todd Mayer from London. I run a consultancy firm here with registered address 702 Old Kent Road, SE1 8JU

A client of mine who is due to arrive in the United States in few weeks time is interested in your virtual services. Can you tell me a little more about your mode of operation?

Thanks

Todd Mayer

This e-mail is different from the ones he's sent previously. This one snuck past my spam filters, so he's figured out something new & improved.

DO NOT fall for this guys scam. There's been a lot going around about him on the boards. I guess someone got taken by him recently, and they're spreading the word.

Guest Lisat

I wonder if someone got so far as to get the cashiers check, took it to the bank and told them what was up and they could trace it before he was onto you, if he could be caught. I inadvertently came across an FBI computer scam reporting space and I did report it. I'm hoping they will be able to find this person or people responsible so he/they can make license plates for a living for a while!

Lisa

Yes, Dana. This is exactly the same email I received. It's too bad someone had to get taken by this scum bag. I was playing for a minute but things quickly started to seem unusual for a sincere client and I Googled his name and found that I was not the only one. It was a good eye opener though to remember to be on alert because not everyone is an honest person, unfortunately!

Lisa

Thanks

Todd Mayer

Guest Lisa Morris

Thank you for your note. I recieved his email as well. Thank you for the warning.

Lisa