Sherra

IVAA Charlotte 2008 Conference

I'm still debating on whether or not to attend the Charlotte conference. With a 1st grader in school and a 15 month old at home (well, she'll be 15 months old in April) I'm not sure yet if I'll be able to swing it (I'm working on it). The good thing is that I only live an hour and a half from the Conference site, so I won't have to worry about travel arrangements.

The price of the room with taxes is going to be $206.30 per night, so $618.90 for three nights. That's a nice chunk of change on top of the price of the Conference plus meals. I saw for another conference someone organized a room sharing list. Is anyone else in the same boat of thinking about sharing a room?

They call for roommate buddies... I believe the email address is buddies@vasummit.org

Yup... it's under Hotel at vasummit.org :) My mom is staying with me, otherwise I usually share a room. I like sharing a room, actually, gives me someone to talk to (and I can steal their laptop when mine goes on the fritz - never fails - ever year, my laptop acts wonky!)

I'm still debating on whether or not to attend the Charlotte conference. With a 1st grader in school and a 15 month old at home (well, she'll be 15 months old in April) I'm not sure yet if I'll be able to swing it (I'm working on it). The good thing is that I only live an hour and a half from the Conference site, so I won't have to worry about travel arrangements.

The price of the room with taxes is going to be $206.30 per night, so $618.90 for three nights. That's a nice chunk of change on top of the price of the Conference plus meals. I saw for another conference someone organized a room sharing list. Is anyone else in the same boat of thinking about sharing a room?

I'm undecided about the room thing right now. I am going - that's no doubt. My quandry is this: is my family going? That will cost oodles and bundles of money if that happens. If I do it by myself, sharing a room with someone, my estimated costs will be about $900-$950 total with room, flight, meals, conference, etc. Compared to about $1,800 for the entire family to go - we'll have to see how things are going around March, and whether or not we actually GO to the Bahamas in March (that's up in the air due to my daughter's laksidasical (sp?) attitude toward school and homework lately) DANG IT!

Decisions, decisions, decisions....

If I go by myself I will DEFINATELY want to share a room.

Hey Gang,

The conference is definitely worth attending. The presenters are great and meeting other VAs face-to-face is worth the expense. Plus, I remember in 2006 that 3 people shared a room -- so, if you really want to go, there may still be a way to cut back on expenses. And, you might do like I did, not purchase Haagan Daaz for a while and save all those dollars for the trip :thumbup:

I'm not sure if I'm going to make it this year, as I have another travel commitment in April and the Online International Virtual Assistants Convention (OIVAC) in May. So, take my word for it, it is a fantastic event and well worth the expense.

It's kind of fun to go by yourself without your family. Forces you to network and get to know other VAs. Everyone is so friendly that you won't have trouble making new friends.

I actually booked my room cheaper directly with the hotel as it was better than the IVAA rate. For Wed night it was $189 plus tax, but for Thur, Fri & Sat it was $126 per night. My total for 4 nights was $726.08 I opted for the non refundable advance purchase, but to me it was worth it to save some $$.