xpress assistant

HELP! Export data from Quickbooks Pro 2006??

Hello, All! I'm in desperate need of assistance......I've taken on a new legal billing client who's currently using quickbooks pro 2006. I need her data exported to a format I can then import into Timeslips - a text file, tab or comma delimited. Is this possible? She provided me with a .QBB data file and a .QBM data file, both of which I attempted to open with the trial version of the 2008 version with no success. I know NOTHING about QuickBooks . Do I have any other options aside from manually creating a database?

Thanks in advance!

Kirstie

Kirstie,

You should be able to open the .QBM file. Go to FILE, PORTABLE COMPANY FILE, OPEN FILE.

Then choose the appropriate .QBM file to open. I'm not sure if you've already tried this or not, but you can't just open it like normal.

If all your client needs is a report modified, she can export it as a .CSV file that you should be able to open with Excel or Timeslips. But you can't send her the info back that way. That's for reports only and can't be imported back into QuickBooks.

Also, if you're willing to put in the time quickly, there is an awesome FREE training program I just completed for QuickBooks. The problem is that it ends midnight on Sunday, the 17th! Even if you can't get the testing in by then, you can pick up a lot of pointers by using the info!

http://www.tryqb.com/startlearning

Hope this helps!

Kathy W.

Virtual Answers

kworthington@VirtualAnswers.net

~Big Business Results on a Small Business Budget

Edited by kworthington

Thanks Kathy & Sherra for your responses......

Sherra, I need to import her client billing files.

Kathy, I mispoke......I have the Quickbooks Accounting for Small Business trial. Is there a difference? When I attempt to open the .QBM file, I receive a message stating the file "isn't a quickbooks data file or the file is damaged."

My client doesn't seem to understand the difference between "exporting" and "saving" so I'm hoping to find a solution which involves very little action from her end.

Kirstie,

Your client SHOULD be able to make you a Portable Company File the same way you tried to open hers, only by choosing CREATE FILE instead of OPEN FILE.

You can have her create a report of all the billing files, but it would involve more work on her part than this option. Could you have her retry making the Portable Company File again? Give her specific instructions, if necessary.

Is it possible she using another version of QuickBooks that your program won't open? (I wouldn't think that would be the case, but you never know with technology!)

Is your version Basic, Pro, or Premier? (Just wondering, if you don't mind!)

Kathy W.

Kathy, I'm not certain what version it is. I am, however, beginning to wonder about it's compatibility. It was downloaded from an .au website and the confirmation email makes several references to Quicken?? I'm unable to locate another trial version for download and I don't have time to wait for a disc. In any event, I need to figure out how to get this done otherwise I'll end up eating hours worth of my billing time. So.....

1. The trial is looking for a .QWA file. Can someone tell me the difference?

2. She's already provided me with a portable company file, if I'm not mistaken. Isn't that the .QBM file?

3. I would be happy to provide her with explicit instructions on exporting her data to an excel file. Unfortunately I don't have quickbooks and I don't know how to use it.

Are there any quickbooks experts who could provide these instructions for me?

Kirstie,

You can try going to the Intuit QuickBooks site and downloading the FREE Simple Start version and see if that works for you.

It is possible to buy Pro or Premier online and download it, not having to wait for a disk.

Yes, the portable file is the QBM file, but you mentioned that the error message said it might be corrupted.

I checked the 'net and found that the QWA file is from an accountants program, as compared to a QBB (backup file) or QBW (regular file).

Don't know how that fits into your scenario.

Depending on HER version, she should go to FILE, PORTABLE COMPANY FILE, CREATE FILE... and follow the directions to create another QBM file for you if the first one is messed up.

You can determine your version of QuickBooks by pressing F2 on your keyboard.

Kathy W

Virtual Answers

kworthington@VirtualAnswers.net

~Big Business Results on a Small Business Budget

Edited by Tawnya