Sign in to follow this  
TerriP

Optimizing webpage search keywords

Hi,

I am in the process of creating my domain/website and need advice... The business name I want to use is rather long, and I want to shorten it but don't want to remove/abbreviate any keywords that might optimize the search for my webpage. For example, let's say I want to start a marketing business virtually and the name of the business is MarketingBusinessVirtualAssitance.com. Would it be as effective to set up the domain as MarketingBusinessVA.com or MBVirtualAssistance.com or even just MarketingBusiness.com or Marketing.com? I have never created a website before, and as a result of advice from business associates and friends, I am going to be using MS Office Live to do. I appreciate any professional advice on this subject as soon as possible as I need to get this site up & running so that I can get my business cards done and create a presence for myself in order to enter the market.

Thanks!!

Terri P

your keywords will be valuable in your page titles, descriptions, metawords spaces, and web content.

The domain benefits from being something that is easy to remember and hasn't been taken. I used to live in this county: Carbon County, Wyoming. When they got a domain that was WyomingCarbonCounty.com it was hard for me to relate to for some reason. In those days, it seemed kind of long. Now with all the domains that have been set up, we are seeing longer names, dashes and other things that people are learning to relate to. The long name probably won't hurt you any more than just using VA. The viewers need to know they are searching for YOU even if your name is mudva. :rolleyes:

The most important thing when abbreviating a website name is: Will people easily remember it?

It's better to have qualitybrandedbusinesssolutions.com than it is to have qualbrandbizsol.com even if it's shorter. I know that if I'm looking for a company online I type in the company name + dot com before I even google it.

A quick note on MS Office Live - If you let them give you the free domain name, and you ever decide to have your own page made, you're going to jump through a lot of hoops to get your domain name somewhere else where you can control where that domain name points. They use Melbourne IT for all the domain registrations and the customer service was always very polite, but never got anything accomplished. It took six months of phone calls and begging before I finally got it transferred out to my current domain host.

Best of luck, and let us know what you decide to do!

Guest JuliaW

I'm a fan of short domain names; a great domain name would be mbva (abbreviation of your company name) and I just checked and mbva.biz is available. That's an option. Something to consider when choosing a domain name is your email address. When you give out your email address do you want to give a long name or a short one?

If you have a business and go with .biz just know that you are giving traffic to the .com - people are trained to try .com first.

As long as the .com company is not offering any similar services .biz would be fine - but if the .com is competition for your company in any way, shape, or form...I'd avoid it.

If you have a business and go with .biz just know that you are giving traffic to the .com - people are trained to try .com first.

As long as the .com company is not offering any similar services .biz would be fine - but if the .com is competition for your company in any way, shape, or form...I'd avoid it.

Jen, you've been watching me! I (and others) tend to think in dot.com then, possibly other stuff. I'm looking at some more domains and the one I want is taken. I'm thinking I would rather add "myblahblah.com" than go with blahblah.biz or anything else. If you can buy the net, org and biz to tie them up that is different.

A quick note on MS Office Live - If you let them give you the free domain name, and you ever decide to have your own page made, you're going to jump through a lot of hoops to get your domain name somewhere else where you can control where that domain name points. They use Melbourne IT for all the domain registrations and the customer service was always very polite, but never got anything accomplished. It took six months of phone calls and begging before I finally got it transferred out to my current domain host.

This part about MS Office live, is a concern! Especially considering the fact that I did have a recent issue, and it took a week to resolve, (it was a minor issue and I had no "live" contact with MS, only email). And, since I am taking such efforts in naming, I don't want to worry about having to surrender the name due to poor customer service. Are there any other free sites that you might recommend?

Guest JuliaW
Are there any other free sites that you might recommend?

When it comes to webhosting, I would NEVER go with free hosting. You should try to get the best quality service at the best price. Hosting companies with good service can be found for $8-$10 a month. That's one area I would never skimp on because I want people to be able to find me.

Guest Paul VA

You don't have to have your domain hosting and registration with the same company. You are better off separating them, as was said earlier and for those reasons and more.

As far as hosts go, I wouldn't touch one as big as Microsoft. For instance, I've had continuous contact with the support staff at my hosting company for the last four days; often late at night (Henry, Jeff, Jerry, Angela). I'm fixing things, making some changes and adding features to my hosting, and they have been right on the ball. I make a request, and they do it and email the results within 30 minutes or less. Most of the time, I'm the one slowing things down.

You pay differently for various levels of service needed. :whistlin:

Paul

This part about MS Office live, is a concern! Especially considering the fact that I did have a recent issue, and it took a week to resolve, (it was a minor issue and I had no "live" contact with MS, only email). And, since I am taking such efforts in naming, I don't want to worry about having to surrender the name due to poor customer service. Are there any other free sites that you might recommend?

QUESTIONS!?!

As you finish your REVA training, can you get clients with some other form of contact than a website? If you do website maintenance for realtors, it won't be the same as building your own website anyway; most likely you will be working from a dashboard in the background. Then, you could do the best possible with a website at another time. I've worked with Realtors and never had to do any type of web design work, but managed their TopProducer type services.

Have you thought about working with a free WordPress blog format for some web presence? Several VAs use the wordpress format for their entire website.

Are you a member of IVAA.org? I think they have bandwidth for members when the site is specifically for virtual assistance.

Are you wanting to use MS Live because of a place to build the site? Like using Dreamweaver or FrontPage?

I have, successfully, for one site, used GoDaddy for quite some times. You can reserve (own) the domain for 2 yrs and have economy hosting (plenty) for about $54.00. That will even include a database where you could add a Wordpress blog. and more. I don't sign up for their tracking, submitting, any more, just the barebones. Their support has always been very good and easy to work with. There are some here on the boards who do hosting as well.

I use 1and1.com for most of my sites because of the nature of my work and their packages. But, I still have 4 domains at GoDaddy.

Take it one bite at a time. And maybe the website doesn't have to be the first bite. If you are going to use your business name, you could go ahead and reserve the domain with someone like GoDaddy, then park it. You could even host somewhere else. They will give you a better discount if you host, but may activate that later when you decide to host. Meanwhile, you would know that your desired domain was safe. While you are deciding on a domain, you can be multi-tasking to pursue clients who don't depend on your website.

Breathe Deep. you are already doing a lot toward getting your practice going strong.

You are so right about Office Live and Melbourne. I have another domain name that I chose when I test-drove Office Live and yes, took me FOREVER to get my domain name turned over to me and under my control.

And I agree with the others who say, don't go with free hosting. First, you need to show your customers you're a VIRTUAL professional business that can afford a web site, you can get hosting as low as $4 a month.

You are so right about Office Live and Melbourne. I have another domain name that I chose when I test-drove Office Live and yes, took me FOREVER to get my domain name turned over to me and under my control.

And I agree with the others who say, don't go with free hosting. First, you need to show your customers you're a VIRTUAL professional business that can afford a web site, you can get hosting as low as $4 a month.

Ok... You have all convinced me that I should not skimp on my website, but I definitely feel that it needs to be a priority and that I should get it up & running as a first step of getting my business a presence.... Now, I just need to decide how to get that done.

Thanks to everyone for their very valuable input!!

Terri

Terri, another option (that is free) is to create your whole website with WordPress.

WordPress is a very powerful content mangement software that is optimized for search engines, gives you a blog as well as a company website, and is super easy for the end user to administer.

Just some food for thought...

I agree with Frances, Wordpress is a great way to have a professional looking site up and running fast. The best part is that most hosting companies offer 1-click Installs of Wordpress in the back end so you don't have to worry about setting it all up.

Just ask customer service if they have that before purchasing. And if you're looking to make it look different you can upload different themes. If you do a google search for free wordpress themes you'll find lots of options out there, some of which are VERY businesslike all the way to ones that are VERY cutsey LOL

Best of luck!