TerriP

Web Design Suggestions/Advice

Hello,

I am JUST beginning my website design and seing as this is my very first time ever, attempting this, I would love to get some feedback, suggestions and/or advice. Ok, I really need HELP. Please see my UNDER CONSTRUCTION site at www.upperhandsolutions.com.

My target is any and all professionals all over the world who may need a Virtual Assistant with my skills. This is my second design. The first design was more conservative than this one... Am I in the right direction with this design or should I scrap it and start fresh.

Thanks!!

Terri

Guest Pat Z.

Terri,

The link brings you to the GoDaddy site saying the domain is parked. I can't see it, not that I'm in any way an expert, but I always like to look at other people's creative ideas flowing. Good luck getting it up and running.

Sorry,

Pat Z

Terri,

The link brings you to the GoDaddy site saying the domain is parked. I can't see it, not that I'm in any way an expert, but I always like to look at other people's creative ideas flowing. Good luck getting it up and running.

Sorry,

Pat Z

Hi Pat,

My BAD!!! I forgot a KEY WORD. "Office".. The correct site is www.upperhandofficesolutions.com.

So sorry for the inconvenience, and I appreciate your help and interest!!

Terri

I like that your site is lively, but I feel that you have a few too many colors going on. Choose one primary color, and one or two accent colors and keep your colors consistent (that is, don't use different yellows and reds, although it's okay to use varying intensities of the same color).

I don't know how to say this other than bluntly, but the round buttons for your navigation look old-fashioned and a bit amateurish. Current trends are toward more rectangular shapes, or simple dividers between links.

You might want to get the Robin Williams book "The Non-Designer's Design Book" -- it may be available from your library, or you can find it used pretty inexpensively on Amazon or Ebay.

You might also want to check out these articles on color, order and form. This guy's sites simply make me drool :)

Web Design Tips

Hi Terri,

I would either remove or change the clip art as it does not reflect an up to date website.

Also, can you go back into your testimonials and state the company name their positing and website for both Dave and Jaime? This will give you credibility to your website viewers.

Remember, you now have a website for people to see and that is a big step. When I posted my website, I then felt "official" to the world!

Joanne

VBM Solutions

Joanne Kay

VBM Solutions

www.vbmsolutions.com

I also agree with Leanne and Joanne. Personally, I don't like yellow on a business web site unless it had something to do with children or arts, painting. It's not a strong business color. You can find some quality pictures at Stockxpert.com at an affordable price to replace the clipart. I would get rid of the waving dollar bill and replace that with a quality stock photo.

I would also put your contact information on the left or top of each page instead of the bottom.

Hope we've helped you. :rolleyes:

He everyone! I want to thank everyone for the invaluable professional advice!!! I have totally started from scratch.... If you would be so kind as to take a moment to review my new, (& improved...?), site and let me know if you think I'm headed in the right direction, I would love to hear what you all think now.

Again, I sincerely appreciate everyone's professional, (albeit critical), advice!!! :thumbup:

Thanks so much!!

Terri

Your new layout is very attractive, and definitely more professional. Only a couple of small suggestions:

Get the word employee lined up with the other list items, and maybe add some padding to that main content area to move the text away from the edges a bit.

Centering your business name looks a bit odd, and I'd rather see it on a single line.

Terri,

I agree, your site is coming along nicely. As Leanne said, I would line up the word "employee" with the rest. I look forward to seeing the finished product.

Kellie

The Essential Virtual Assistant

Guest Pat Z.

Terri,

As a newbie and someone who just paid another VA to help me with my site, I am certainly in no position to give advice. However, as a consumer who searches websites daily, I just want to say - I like this one much better!

Good luck with the new site - I know it's going to be worth all the edits and changes. :lol:

Pat Z

Hi again.... I have changed my layout again. I welcome your feedback!

Thanks again! You all are great!!!

Terri

Hi,

I didn't get to see the previous versions, but there are a couple things with this one that stand out to me right off the bat...

The picture of the arms with the stack of paper makes it hard to read the text that is overtop of it - perhaps you could still use the picture but fiddle with the opacity so that it's lighter and more like a watermark?

I also find the red text on top of the blue background in your header a bit hard to read, mostly around the edges where the blue is darker.

Good luck with your website! I'm sure everyone will have some good suggestions for you!

Sarah MacGregor - SMac To The Rescue!

www.totherescue.ca Your Super Efficiency Expert!

Hi Terri,

I agree to go back to the 2nd one you had. It seems that you are overworking/overthinking this website. Are you working on this website non-stop? If so, perhaps you need to post the 2nd one, take a step back and review after a 24 hour break. I sometimes need to take a break and work on another project as my creativity gets blocked.

Joanne

Joanne Kay

VBM Solutions

www.vbmsolutions.com

Terri,

I too liked the second one better. It seemed more together. I think the red looks a bit out of place on the blue.

-Kellie