amytopel

WordPress or Blogger?

I am in the process of creating a website and in the meantime, would like to get a blog up and running. I have never blogged before so I am curious if anyone has a recommendation as far as WordPress or Blogger?

Also, I just bought my domain name and am wondering if anyone knows if I can use my domain name for my blog until I get my website up? I am new to all of this so I am not sure of the technical side of things!

Thanks in advance!

Amy

Guest Pat Z.

Amy,

Believe me, I was a blogging virgin until a few weeks ago. I use Blogger - not for any specific reason - I just wound up there from a recommendation at this forum. I find it very easy and you can name it anything you like (as long as it's not already taken).

I'm sure you'll get much more technical advice on this from the pros. I'm also going to check out the responses.

Good luck setting up your blog and with your business.

Blogging is easy. Check out my latest blog. It has to do with blogging. Also, use a feed such as feedburner for your blog. I did not write about it.

I use WordPress. It also is very easy to use and set up. You have the option of WordPress hosting the blog or hosting it yourself. You can give it any name as long as it's not taken. I chose to use my website name. You also have the option of establishing your blog as your website's homepage.

Lots of luck,

Colleen

Guest Paul VA

I use Wordpress.com because Blogger uses Picasa to host your images.

You can make your Wordpress.com blog name anything you want. It can be "abcxyz" if you want. That name becomes a subdomain of Wordpress.com. (http://abcxyz.wordpress.com)

If you have a domain name, then you go into your dashboard tab "Domain" and pay credits (you have to buy them) of $10 for Wordpress.com to be the 'nameserver' of your Domain name.

Now your potential clients will address your blog with your domain name (or the one described above). (http://amy.com?) See? It's simple! :whistlin:

Paul

I am in the process of creating a website and in the meantime, would like to get a blog up and running. I have never blogged before so I am curious if anyone has a recommendation as far as WordPress or Blogger?

Also, I just bought my domain name and am wondering if anyone knows if I can use my domain name for my blog until I get my website up? I am new to all of this so I am not sure of the technical side of things!

Thanks in advance!

Amy

Paul, please elaborate on the use of Picasa on Blogger. I use Picasa2 on my computer for pictures. I like emailing pictures with Picasa. Is this different?

I like WordPress for one tiny little thing: I have numerous blogs. Some are self-hosted. Some are at wordpress.com If I want more than one at WP.com, I can have it with one login, one password, but DIFFERENT profiles. If I want different profiles on Blogger, I have to have separate accounts.

I think the Wysiwyg on Blogger is more user friendly. You cannot add pages on Blogger as you can on WordPress.

Both provide a way to transfer (import/export) posts between them; even photos go. That makes a trial of each very appealing.

Hi Amy, I recommend setting up a WordPress self hosted blog using WordPress.org software.

You can host it with your website as www.mysite.com/blog or /whatever.

I have a blog planner on my site as a free download that will hep you get started.

Good luck.

Same here Patty. Thanks for the blogging information Frances.

I use Wordpress which seems simple enough to set up. I think with the blogging checklist and Frances' blogging tips, I should be well on my way.....soon. :whistlin:

Delilah Smith

Caliber Virtual Services

Guest Paul VA

Judy Ann, it's my understanding that Picasa servers are where Blogger images are really stored. In some cases there is a 500 picture limit. (I use Windows Live Writer for some blogs and there is a 500 pix limit.) Wordpress.com stores images with your blog info. There are circumstances where this can be important. A little while back a lot of Blogger blogs were having trouble with images all at once; en masse as they say. Picasa servers caused the problem. :whistlin:

Paul

Paul, please elaborate on the use of Picasa on Blogger. I use Picasa2 on my computer for pictures. I like emailing pictures with Picasa. Is this different?

Hi,

Ok, I'm a little of the beaten path as I haven't worked with wordpress, but I LOVE Typepad over Blogger. I find typepad much easier to use, and I'm able to scan in a picture/doc and link that page to my website. Maybe this can be done with blogger, but I haven't figured out how to do that.

I'm a huge WordPress.org fan!

Even my static site at www.marketingcurve.com is a WordPress blog. My host has a "1-Click install" option that makes setting it up on my server super-fast and super-easy. (Hey, just because I could set it up myself doesn't mean I want to take that extra time!)

Then you can look online for free wordpress themes...there are so many available, and they'll involve only minimal tweaking (if any at all.)

If you're using your blog for your business, you want it to integrate and keep your branding consistent. If you set your site up with a Wordpress.org blog engine and then just have a page for your blog entries, it blends in perfectly and you look uber-professional.

Then, if you ever decide you don't want to blog...you don't have it just sitting out there neglected like it would be on a hosted solution. You just remove the link for the blog in the backend on your server....and everyone thinks you just have a regular website.

On the other hand I know more than a few people that use Blogger.com - personally if I was only choosing between blogger.com and wordpress.com I'd go blogger. Sure it's not the best online "neighborhood" to be part of, but blogger is owned by Google and I'm guessing that might give just the slightest edge in search results.

Just my opinion :)