Judy L

Writing -- length of the item

I've been able to find some recommendations for the length of piece of work in order to qualifiy as an ebook. I was glad to see where some also said the content was the most important and something said well, but short could qualify as an ebook, while something poorly written for many pages probably would be called an ebook, but wouldn't produce the correct responses.

But, when I put "how long is a report" or "how many words are in a report" into google, it doesn't think the way I do.

What are your opinions?

Judy, I'm not sure there's a real answer to this question, but I'll share my thoughts.

My ebook is, I think, under 40 pages or something like that. I call it an ebook. I have purchased ebooks that were even shorter than that. I think if it's something that's less than 20 pages, I might call it an ebooklet instead. I think people expect to get more pages of info from an ebook than, perhaps a report or an ebooklet. Make sense?

Others might disagree, of course.....

Thank you Sherra and Jaime.

Jaime, your information fits what I found about ebooks. I really loved the comments that I found which said that a short ebook that really said something impressed them more than a 100 pages of filler. I know about what an article should be in length.

It's what is in between that could be considered a report. Is there something else in the formatting besides length that would differentiate between article, report or ebook?

Obviously, I'm ready for spring and the end of light deprivation.

Guest AnnaLisa Michalski

I don't know, Judy, maybe it's just me, but when I hear "e-book" or "article" I think of something that is informative in nature, perhaps of the how-to what-is variety. When I hear "report," I think of something that is not as generalized; a report is specific to one particular company, industry, or institution, maybe even packed with dense number-crunching analysis and statistics.

In my mind, it's not so much the length that distinguishes them as much as the depth of content. I guess I would think of an article or e-book as "for everyone" whereas a report would only be of real interest to a much narrower group and probably commissioned by that group rather than made available commercially.

Or maybe I'm just out to lunch. :)

I don't know, Judy, maybe it's just me, but when I hear "e-book" or "article" I think of something that is informative in nature, perhaps of the how-to what-is variety. When I hear "report," I think of something that is not as generalized; a report is specific to one particular company, industry, or institution, maybe even packed with dense number-crunching analysis and statistics.

In my mind, it's not so much the length that distinguishes them as much as the depth of content. I guess I would think of an article or e-book as "for everyone" whereas a report would only be of real interest to a much narrower group and probably commissioned by that group rather than made available commercially.

Or maybe I'm just out to lunch. :)

No, you are not out! I think you are getting in the direction of what I wanted to know. I don't want to call something by an inappropriate term.

I see an article from a journalist view, I guess. Interesting, informing, luring/attracting to me. Where the relationship starts or moves along. An article about virtual assistance could catch your eye, intrigue you and make you want to look into the field

eBook has more depth, either for education or entertainment. Begins and ends, usually with ample content, even if there would be some dispute on the quality. An eBook would tell you many facets of being a Virtual Assistant and set you well on your path of being one.

I like your description of a report for internal business. Even when it is used without the intense information of an analytical report for something like quarterly business, it should be pretty informative, but perhaps not in the depth of an eBook. A report would be serious information, condensation of pros and cons about being a virtual assistant, with some quotes and references, but not all of them. It would be objective, not necessarily on a mission

Do those descriptions fit?

Guest AnnaLisa Michalski

Judy, I think you and I are on the same track. Now the question is, is our thinking pretty consistent with what people will expect to find when they search for services using these terms? I'm not sure how to trace that.