maplewoodva

Are more of your clients men or women?

Men vs. Women, who are our clients?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Your thoughts are important. Please, take a moment to participate in the poll.

Does the gender of your client change the way you market or how you work? Studies clearly point to left brain/right brain influences, communication styles, and interaction for each gender. Women are known to be relational; striving to find those connections or common traits. Men tend to be task focused; bonding through similar goals and end results. These are generalizations and can absolutely cross over but it is interesting to consider when planning our marketing efforts.

Does your marketing style reflect how you deliver your message and who will respond? Are you attracting the kinds of client you want?

Thanks for sharing,

~Ruth

This was a tough one to answer because my client base has changed drastically over time.

Almost entirely, this drastic change is due to a shift in niche from a primarily male-dominated niche to an almost exclusively female-dominated niche.

One thing I can tell you is that every client I've ever had would probably mix well at a party. You know, bring all former clients together and throw a bash and it would be a humdinger of a good time!

I always work with people I could become friends with. I keep my boundaries and don't work with friends (usually) - but people I like and respect are my ideal clients, so I find if we have a connection, it's a better working relationship.

Hey Jenny,

I was hoping you'd show up. As we change and grow our business, so will our clients.

You are definitely a "Connector*" and I'd love to come to one of your parties. I could definitely see this with your clients.

It's amazing how the details influence the larger picture. Some things we do consciously and others just happen.

~Ruth

Side Note:

*I'm reading The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcom Gladwell. The book states that Connectors know lots of people across many different social, economical, and niche backgrounds. Connectors have a knack for making friends and acquaintances - liking to network, just as you do. Connectors are the social influencers of today's trends and know just how to get the right people together to make the "magic". :magic: [Think of the game "6 Degrees to Kevin Bacon" and you'll get the idea of how connected you are to someone, a destination, an industry, etc. How many people does it take for you to get to "X"?]

I have more men than women, but volume (dollar volume) I'd say that they are equal. I prefer to work with men or with women who don't don't have the catty or gossipy (although I can gossip, don't get me wrong - oh, can I gossip!) thing going on. I just wanna do the work, get what they need, give them what they need and move on.

Interestingly enough, my biggest drama client is a guy. He makes me nuts. (shut up)

On first thought, I would have guessed that my business was made of mostly male clients, but boy was I wrong. More than 2 to 1 on the Female side!! I was shocked. I like working with both, but I do seem to connect with women better. Although my first and most long-term client is a guy and he shares his peanut M & M's with me! :chocolate: Yes, he's one of those client's in-training to learn what Virtually truly means. He's local and he pays me every week and gives me chocolate....so I'm not complaining!!! :thumbup:

Thanks for making us take a look at this Ruth!!

I agree with Candy. I know I work better with most men than I do with most women.

Have any of you read "Men Are Like Waffles, Women Are Like Spagetti"?

I definitely have a sizeable hunk of waffle on my plate along with the spagetti, and that's probably why my ideal client is male. It's those darn 'meatballs' that get thrown in with the spagetti that keep messing me up!

Gladys

I have never read that book but I'm now interested! :lol:

Interesting Poll - I'm almost equal. I stopped and thought about my clients after I read your post. You are sooooo right. I have very pleasant dealings with my male clients, however, it is mostly business. Now on the female client side, I am very involved. I've connected emotionally. I consider them friends as well as clients. You're making me think deeply here today Ruth. It is interesting to step backwards, look at it, and learn.

Thanks, Colleen

That's the point, Colleen. To make us think about our marketing and make every effort to reach the clients we enjoy working with -- presenting our message in the way our clients like to receive it, in their language.

~Ruth

Guest AnnaLisa Michalski

Hmmmm...so far this year, my numbers are equal according to a simple tally. But then I got to thinking like Candy said about dollar volume. I've actually made 4x as much from the men. That's because, without exception, every 2008 client so far has been either a male representing a larger corporation, or a female solopreneur. Isn't that funny!

Guest TerryGreen

Surprisingly I have many more female than male clients, but I don't market any differently to one or the other. I normally prefer working with men rather than women, but like Jen, I only work with people I like and could be friends with, and the female clients I have right now are great. I do have several that I work with sporadically, and one that I am going to stop working with, but for the most part, they are all great. In looking at my list of clients, the preference for who I prefer to work with seems to be dependent more on what industry they are in than the gender. My speakers are a mix of male and female, and all are wonderful. My coaches are all female, and are my least fave. My consultants and info marketers are probably more female than male, but they are very easy to work with. It just seems that female coaches seem to be more needy and often disorganized.

Wow, it seems like a lot of you have more male clients than female.

100% of my clients are female. It just sort of happened but now I only target women.

I've had a few male clients throughout the years and for the most part I've let those men go.

I'm sure it is something I'm doing but when I work with women they see me as a partner in their business. They value my opinion and recognize me as a business owner. When I work with men... well it's a different story. Now if the right man comes along I'm not going to turn him down but I'm very happy with my female clients.

I tend to attract high up executive women that have decided to leave the corporate world and start their own businesses. I love working with these women, they are go-getters and for the most part very focused and organized.

Terry, what you said about coaches...man...I thought it was just me that found that to be the case.

I wonder what it is that makes that such a striking stereotype? Like, what path do men vs. women take that leads them to the label "coach" and how differently it is approached based on gender.

I'm just wondering aloud and not contributing to the thread at all. Cause yeah...I'm like that sometimes :lol:

I'd say my split is 85% women, 10% men, and 5% Alien species from another figgin' planet. (I can never find my 'ray gun' when I need it :zap: )

I prefer to work with women. I think I market more towards women. I think women trust me. My daughter says it is because I am in touch with my feminine side and I understand women. Then in her best 'Arnold Schwarzenegger' voice..... she call me a 'girlie man'

But I tend to think that......."Chicks dig me" and men wanna "be me" :pirate:

Guest bette

I had never really thought about it before but I've just realized I only have female clients. I don't think I ever intended it to be that way, but it just happened.