Amber B

Second Life

My client is wanting to persue this new format for his business. Has anyone worked (or played) in this new environment?

No. I did actually install it because it looked like something I would enjoy - you explore the place, yadda yadda. Instead, the first place I walked into had... errr... fake private body parts. I did try, but I found it too big and there's no real "point" that I could see. There's no quest. You just fly around or whatever. Not my thing.

Expanding to Second Life is like opening a business where everything is free. Unless your client already has people in Second Life that want to use what he is offering, I would stay far, far away from it.

Look up the following companies in Second Life:

Nike, Coke, Pepsi, Subaru, Ford. They all have amazing Second Life presence. Yet all of their Second Life sites are empty. This is after spending millions of $ in research and specially targeted advertising.

Unless you have even more money, or some amazingly huge reason to feel you will do better than their major corporations, I would stay far, far away from marketing through Second Life. It just isn't worth the expenditure.

The other problem with Second Life, and other virtual worlds, is the all-consuming nature of it. I would suggest that time would be much better spent on other forms of marketing; forms that can at least be monitored and measured.

LJ

I have to agree a bit with Levi the others (hi all! first post!). Second Life is an overhyped channel. It might be trendy to establish a Second Life presence, as Tom mentioned, most of those sites are empty. It costs time at a minimum to establish a presence, and there's no guaranteed (or even measurable) standard of benefit.

As a bit of ammo for the "overhyped" claim, the average length of a typical second life session is 12 measly minutes. That's barely time enough to read page one of a news site, let alone absorb a corporate presence.

I don't know what your client's focus is but I can tell you thing about Second Life. Most of the people making money there are the ones who create those fake body parts and other code based items that users can purchase to enrich their experience there. But then you have to worry about being reversed engineered. There have been real lawsuits over stolen virtual property in Second Life.

Thanks so much everyone. You basically confirmed what I already thought. When he mentioned it and I checked it out, it seemed very weird and more for high school aged kids!

Your feedback is very appreciated!