This is so discouraging. Especially if you are just getting started. It makes me truly rethink my decision to jump into this industry. I think the positive for me is that I am going after a more local audience initially and I can offer that personal touch than can't be offered by someone thousands of miles away.

With that said, I will keep plugging along and keep my eye on what customers of those overseas companies are saying.

Angi.

The fine print in the pricing table on their website includes these two gems:

# Your Primary VA247 allocated to you is available 5 days a week during the time zone you pick. On a 24/7 requirement additional VA247 staff will be allocated.

# The quoted prices are for VA's who are college graduates. If your task requires VA's with special skills which need a technical degree, additional charges apply. Contact us for a quote for your custom requirements.

Personally I like the second point I've quoted. Get what you pay for and all that...

LJ

To be honest, this doesn't really alarm me. There are quite capable VAs all over the world offering their services at lower rates than I am, but there are more than enough clients out there for all of us. In fact, I have a client who does outsource some work to the less expensive VAs in India, but the vast majority of his administrative work goes to me. I have even hired some of them for him at his request on Elance and although sometimes there are miscommunications due to language differences, all in all they have done quite well for my client.

I know that it seems discouraging to have competition that's so much cheaper, but put yourselves in the shoes of a potential client. If I were hiring a VA to work with me in my own business, would I hire someone from overseas? No, but not because I think they will be less skilled, I'm just more comfortable working with someone who is closer, who is in my timezone, and who I can pick up the phone and call when I need to. A great number of clients will simply feel more comfortable outsourcing within their own country (obviously some won't, but many will).

Kelly

The fine print in the pricing table on their website includes these two gems:

# Your Primary VA247 allocated to you is available 5 days a week during the time zone you pick. On a 24/7 requirement additional VA247 staff will be allocated.

# The quoted prices are for VA's who are college graduates. If your task requires VA's with special skills which need a technical degree, additional charges apply. Contact us for a quote for your custom requirements.

Personally I like the second point I've quoted. Get what you pay for and all that...

LJ

This caught my eye: These professionals are College Graduates, MBAs, Accountants, Web Designers, Lawyers, and experts in various fields for $7 an hour takes away from their credibleness/marketing.

Also I do agree, there are plenty of customers out there and most prefer to go with who they feel comfortable working with, regardless of location.

I am just starting a virtual assistant business (after thinking about it for a year) and at first look at the topic and starting to read the article, it was discouraging. But, part way through the article, if you caught it....says you can hire one of their VA's part-time (20 hrs a week), or full time (40 hrs), which suggests to me that maybe there is a minimum price. So, while it appears cheaper than maybe something we would charge here on an hourly basis, there may be hidden costs that don't jump right out unless you read the fine print.

I agree with those of you who are looking at it positively.....there should be plenty of work for everyone and if we do a good job, we'll keep our clients. Wish me luck on my new venture! :thumbup:

It's still not the same as having your own VA who actually understands cultural differences. For example, I've heard stories about these offshore companies quoting that something has "been sent by Royal Mail" but couldn't actually say whether it was first or second class or even the difference! (Second class takes about double the time!). Or being asked to book flights from a regional airport and booking them from one 7 hours from the clients' home... OOPS!

Then there are the communication errors, the non-action occasionally, and how well can you really get to know a client when you have 40 others at that low rate?

Not really that bothered by the outsourced offshorers...

I was concerned at first, but then I know several of my present clients might be able to get someone cheaper, but they like what I do for them and they trust my work. I moved about 4 months ago and am still working for these clients. Hopefully I will be able to pick up more locally or even not so locally. I love what I do, but my company is still in the infancy stages. For now, I'm just not going to worry about this company. :rolleyes:

I would like to play "Team Cheerleader" for a minute on this and look at it a slighly different way (although I don't mind busting out the pom poms, please don't ask about the cheerleader skirt...it wouldn't be pretty!)... :blink:

Like any industry, there is going to be competition and that is why it is so important to find that "thing" that sets YOU apart from everyone else.

For me, I look at where and how I get my clients. I really try to focus more on my own ways of networking and marketing (lots of it has been more local these days). I don't feel the competition from across the globe that way. I like to make and build the relationships on a more personal/professional level. This way, the client gets to know me and my business just as much as I get to know their business and needs. I try to steer away from doing too many one-time projects because those don't give me the chance to form those precious relationships that I really enjoy building with others.

Of course, I like meeting people from all over the place, so they don't really HAVE to be local - it has just turned out to be that way lately (although I'm pending one across the states - and that's from networking online and getting to know them). The beauty of being virtual, is that you can work with anyone at any place, of course! :)

I feel that even that one client I might have can really open up 10 different doors for me - in areas of networking and meeting new people through them, maybe enabling me to gain more experience in other areas, etc. Maybe sometimes all we need to do is dig a little bit deeper than we think and utilize our connections a little more rather than feeling like we are in so much competition that we don't know how to compete or win over that next potential. - Of course competition can be good and keep us on our toes, but maybe we don't have to actually compete as much as we think we do. Maybe we can change our focus and not feel so much of the pressure.

Does that make sense? I have been trying to word it right, but keep getting interrupted with my 2 little ones. :wacko:

I'm not saying that articles like those do us any justice here, but like previously mentioned, the cost of living is different in other parts of the world. Sometimes you just can't compete with that, so you look at other ways to determine your value and YOUR key to success - whatever that is for YOU. So...don't get discouraged (for those of you who may be)!

I'm off the mic, now....so now everyone can say, "What did she say??? HUH???" LOL

Edited by MichelleLynn

Is it also possible that these "VAs" are actually employees of this firm? That would also paint this picture with a very different "brush" so to speak.

I don't really have a problem with this website. As long as those people are being compensated and treated ethically - and I don't know what $7.00/hr really "means" in India except to say that it may be considered a good opportunity for someone there. I honestly don't know though.

There are more than enough clients, more than enough opportunities, and more than enough wealth in the world for us all :)

Karri

There are more than enough clients, more than enough opportunities, and more than enough wealth in the world for us all :)

Karri

I agree with Karri. There are not many business people I personally know here in N.America that would be comfortable outsourcing to India. If they do (or will) outsource I know it will be to a fellow North American, for a rate that is comparable to what I (or you) charge. I'm okay with that. :)

Tracey