Sign in to follow this  

Thunderbird - can't open links or attachments

This is really driving me nuts and it's been an issue with my Thunderbird for quite a while now. Plus I ran the update to 2.0.0.14 yesterday and still no resolution.

I've tried the age old solution of deleting the mimetype file in my Thunderbird Profile folder and restarting T-bird, but it just doesn't help. I LOOOOOVE Thunderbird but I need to get this feature working again. Files won't open unless I detach or save them first to my hard drive and hyperlinks won't open in my browser so I have to copy and paste them! Grrrr. :forkoff:

This is soooo inefficient!

Karri

Yeah. Well, as in I downloaded the new 2.0.0.14 and then installed it ... does that count as a "reinstall?"

Karri

PS: Babe's snot is flowing profusely but only a mild form of greenish yellow now :naughty:

Hmmm... I asked Tom and he said that when I had this problem I downloaded the most recent version. I might try to uninstall (preserve your settings obviously) and then do a fresh install?

Oh good, let me know if turns back to a dark green, fascinating stuff!

hehehe...I don't use Thunderbird but am being highly entertained by the green snot story...sorry I couldn't be more help ;)

See what you're missing on Twitter, Tawnya? :naughty:

Candy, how do I preserve my settings? Or will I get "asked" to do this during the uninstall? I'm scared. Very scared!

Ok, I'm not going to be a lot of help here...but I do have some ideas.

First: The problem isn't really with Thunderbird. It is with Firefox. If you are not using Firefox (and even if you are) go download the lastest version and install it. This may fix your problem.

Second: I am on Windows Vista now, so I can't see the exact application path for the AppData for Thunderbird. But if the above doesn't work, you can try the following:

Go to /mozilla thunderbird (it is a hidden folder under your User account in "Documents and Settings/User/AppData").

Open your profile folder (If there is no folder, create a directory named "default").

Make a file called user.js

Add:

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "firefox");

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "firefox");

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "firefox");

Note: "firefox" needs to be the ENTIRE path to the firefox.exe.

Ok, I'm not going to be a lot of help here...but I do have some ideas.

Second: I am on Windows Vista now, so I can't see the exact application path for the AppData for Thunderbird. But if the above doesn't work, you can try the following:

Go to /mozilla thunderbird (it is a hidden folder under your User account in "Documents and Settings/User/AppData").

Open your profile folder (If there is no folder, create a directory named "default").

Make a file called user.js

Add:

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.ftp", "firefox");

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.http", "firefox");

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.https", "firefox");

Note: "firefox" needs to be the ENTIRE path to the firefox.exe.

In theory then should/could I use the same principle for all Windows applications? I ask b/c Thunderbird isn't recognizing any attachment either. PLUS I can't even print an email to my printer anymore.

(BTW, it rocks that you cook, Tom. My hubbie cooks too, though if I had it my way I'd eat cereal for supper most nights.)