I am struggling for a tech podcast topic. So instead of me deciding...how about you? What would you like to hear more about? Do you like tips/tricks/hacks, how to pick a server, how to upgrade, current trends, phones, fun software, etc.

I am at a loss here. You have 2 days to submit something. Lets synchronize watches..........it is 5:35:24 PDT 5/16/08

I would love to hear more about the management console options of Windows Server 2008. You could also go indepth on Terminal Services, the new Easy Print Functionality, and do a comparison of Terminal Services alone vs. TS + Citrix. If you have any extra time, explaining the event log, how to filter it and examine it contents to determine exactly what is happening within your server would be a nice bonus.

If all else fails, you could do a podcast on freezing an old hard drive to get one last spin out of it to retrieve old data....

I would love to hear more about the management console options of Windows Server 2008. You could also go indepth on Terminal Services, the new Easy Print Functionality, and do a comparison of Terminal Services alone vs. TS + Citrix. If you have any extra time, explaining the event log, how to filter it and examine it contents to determine exactly what is happening within your server would be a nice bonus.

If all else fails, you could do a podcast on freezing an old hard drive to get one last spin out of it to retrieve old data....

Huh? I was lost at the first sentence. :huh:

I like tips/tricks and current trends for this tech wantabee/newbie.

~Ruth

Guest Pat Z.

Huh? I was lost at the first sentence. :huh:

I like tips/tricks and current trends for this tech wantabee/newbie.

~Ruth

rolf rolf - I was also Ruth, but do like the tips/tricks.

Pat Z

When they start this techno-talk, all I hear in my head is the voice of adults in the "Peanuts" cartoons ... whna-whna-whna-whna-whna-whna-whna

:blink:

Brent, you have unintentionally, yet successfully, pointed out that I could gain vast information on all of the topics noted - LOL.

Everything 101 sounds good to me.

Elizabeth

I've never heard that. OOOHHH, that could REALLY come in handy!

I've never heard that. OOOHHH, that could REALLY come in handy!

you got about a 50/50 shot. Results may vary. I have heard pros and cons on it.

http://tinyurl.com/8k492

But this works a lot better. SpinRite 6.0 Can't live without it.

http://www.grc.com/sr/testimonials.htm

I am not really sure if this is a joke or not. Are you running a server yourself, or are you hosting a website that has 2008, or did you purchase a hosting plan that runs 2008? If so, which version? There are about 10 of them. If you are running the server yourself, looking on the web for answers about it is the hard way to learn it. Get a big book / Bible. And to go in-depth about Terminal services in a 10 minute podcast is hardly do-able?

I have not worked on Windows Server 2008 yet or run into in my travels of yet. It was released on 2/27/08 and companies are slow to adopt to do something new. But from what I have read and seen, it is a lot better than Server 2003. And 2003 was very good. I have worked on that quite a bit. 2008 has better Terminal Services for running apps on remote servers. Better security and a list of new features and apps that will make life easier.

You can try a test run for about 90 minutes using this link. It is the Vista interface without all the Vista crap. I wish Microsoft would create O/S's based on their server O/S. They are so much better than the ones they give us. I ran Windows 2000 Pro on my personal computer until February of this year. Unfortunately that was the last server O/S that could be used for personal use.

The new Hyper-V program lets you run many virtual machines at the same time while monitoring all of them directly in the MMC console instead of a separate interface.

But on the other hand, I do not think many, if any, VA's use Windows Server 2008. I might as well just talk about Ferrari's, since probably not that many VA's have Ferrari's. :whistlin: And anyone that knows me, knows that I could talk about Ferrari's....... ALL DAY LONG. B)

So the general topic that I got from all of the "great" topic suggestions were....um....uh.....that VA's are confused about technology. But I did like Patty's suggestion. "That you should laugh at the same time as being confused." Maybe I will talk about that.

HA! You totally lost me Tom! I have no idea what you are talking about and wonder if other Virtual Assistants even would? hehehehe

How about ....

1. What to look for when buying a new monitor?
  2. Should I pay for a Virus Scanner or just use one of the freebies available online?
  3. What mice are good ones to buy?
  4. How about laptop bags and what's fashionably in or out of style right now? ;)
  5. Where to shop online for computer parts, peripherals, software, etc?
  6. What does one look for when choosing a host?
  7. Domain tools available online to help you choose a domain name ie) Like the Quick Domain searcher here: http://www.bustaname.com/
  8. Or maybe DNS tools and how to use them?
  9. What are some good HTML editors out there?
  10. Cool Desk Accessories every VA needs ;)

Yeah, Sorry, I was kidding. Except the popsicle part. Actually had to use that a while back on an old harddrive. Worked like a charm!

You mean I am the only one with Server 2008? Sigh... Ah well, just call me an "Extra super duper eary adopter".