pmdost

Computer Question (for us non-techie people)

OK - I have a computer question for us non-techie people :) ... I am so confused about IP addresses. My service was recently changed from one broadband provider to another. First off, do we now have a different IP address? Secondly, I use my laptop sometimes and my desktop sometimes. I do have a wireless router. Does my provider give different IP addresses for each of these?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm seeing a variety of IP's that I've used when posting to the forum. I'm just a little confused and want to know if IP addresses depend of what computer you use and if it changes with the provider.

Does any of that make sense to anyone???

In very basic terms, yes, the IP address will be different for each computer (the last portion of the IP address tells which computer you're using). The first part of the IP address tells what ISP and your general geographic location. That is how the OIVAC was able to tell "where" people were. It said I was in Columbia, South Carolina...but I'm not. My ISP is based in Columbia, but I'm about 15 miles away. The first part is sort of like an "area code" or "ZIP Code" for your computer and the last part is like the street address and suite or apartment number (it gets more detailed).

So in short, yes, switching ISPs will change your IP address. Unless you're paying for a "static" IP address, which opens a whole new can of worms. But, most people don't have a need for a static IP address.

And thank you for not opening another can of worms ;)!

No problem! I understand that one can of worms is about all anyone can handle at a time. I'm currently dealing with WordPress questions myself, so I'm also limited in my can opening! :stretcher: That's what I feel like trying to figure stuff out right now.

Patty, my IP address changes as often as I change my underwear. I use Stat Counter and I put, "exclude this IP" so I won't have inflated stats each time I go to my own site. My IP is always different so I have to keep adding to the "exclude this" list. Aargh!

And yes, if you are behind a router, you will be given a new IP address. Something like 192.168.X.X Then your router has a specific IP address. Every website has an IP address also. You just never see it. Domain names just change the IP address into a name that people can understand. So when you type in www.nordstrom.com, it translates it to 65.203.228.110.

And yes...IP Addresses also tell you where you are located. That is why OAVIC was able to tell where everyone is. But they can be wrong, like QPMS said. It is not that accurate. It said I was in San Diego, CA when I was actually in.... :whistlin: .......Prague :ninja:

Ok, I'm gonna break this down a bit:

Did you IP change with a different ISP? Yes, it did. Also, unless you pay for a Static IP your IP can change every time you connect to the internet.

Do my 2 computers have different IP's?

Yes and no. If you pay for 2 separate IP's and connect directly the the modem, then yes, you have 2 different IP's. However, most people do not do this. Instead, your Router will get you internet IP. Anyone that sees you on the internet will see THIS IP. Your router will then provide different "local" IP's to each computer on your network. Using these IP's the router directs internet traffic and internal communications.

Hope that helps!

And yes...IP Addresses also tell you where you are located. That is why OAVIC was able to tell where everyone is. But they can be wrong, like QPMS said. It is not that accurate. It said I was in San Diego, CA when I was actually in.... :whistlin: .......Prague :ninja:

I wonder where it would have said you were if you were still in Germany... :clown: