Hi Everyone,

On the subject of Finding Associates for your Multi-VA Business, how many of you have worked with VA Students or VA interns?

There are some fantastic VA Programs out there, with newer VA's looking to work with more established VA's. For me, VA students have been an awesome way to build up my team. In fact some VA Programs have practicums where you can utilize the services of a VA Student in order for them to get the "hands on" hours that they need for graduation.

What are your thoughts on this? Would you consider this as a way of building your team?

Michelle

I have used the VANA Intern program and love it. In fact, I brought one of the interns I work with into my team on a regular basis.

I am currently working with Bev Pederson over at the Red Deer College VA program and working with some of her VA students so they can get their practicum hours.

I come from both sides of the intern prospective. When I first started out, I approached a seasoned VA and said I would work for next to nothing if they taught me everything I know. Because of that, it launched my VA practice into what it is today. I would be no where near where I am today had I not had that experience. Because of this, I am now in the position where I can do the same. I have had the privilege of mentoring five wonderful VAs now- one has moved on to bigger and better things, two are through the Red Deer College program and the other two have become team members of mine.

In my opinion, if you are a VA just starting out - doing an internship/mentorship is the best route to go. If you are a seasoned VA, you can find some really talented help at a lower fee base, and can give back to the VA community at the same time - win/win situations in both cases!

Guest Pat Z.

I am *almost* a proud graduate of the VA Intern program here at VANA. :) I can not begin to tell you the wonderful experience it has been.

When starting out, you may be very sure of your skills but not very sure of how to perform these same tasks remotely. An internship gives you the experience, knowledge and confidence to go out into the world and do what you do best. It also showcases your skills to the clients utilizing the program, which will help your business grow.

I am so very glad I signed up and participated.

Pat Z

Guest TerryGreen

I've been pretty pigheaded about NOT using new VAs in my business; but I've heard so many great things about using interns that I might just give it a whirl. My control-freakiness always rears it's ugly head when I think of trying something new, but I'm getting better at controlling it and lightening up :unsure: .

I just stumbled across the VA Intern program and I'm very interested in joining.

I see that there is a waiting list.

Any idea on how long of a wait it is and any idea of what the qualifications are to be considered?

My sentiments exactly Pat! I am a *almost* graduate of the internship program also! I have loved the program and can't wait to finish! I work for 2 VA's now and am gaining lots of experience from them! It has been just WONDERFUL! I am now on there teams! I highly recommend it to All VA newbies! And to the VA's looking for extra help.

Thanks Patty for heading up this wonderful program! :D

What a great topic Michelle!

The VAintern program has been assisting a lot of VAs such as Sandra and Pat in showing them how a VA works with their clients and gives them the opportunity to learn new things.

We have approximately 25 in the intern program and about 40-45 on the waiting list. As with our own VA businesses, it's finding the clients that's the problem. As far as how long of a wait for individuals to go from the waiting list to the program, I really couldn't tell you. It depends on projects/clients. But! If any established VA is looking for someone to mentor, I do have a list ;).

I think it's a wonderful idea for more established VAs to take a chance on new VAs. There are so many out there just wanting to learn. Whether it be through Red Deer College (which I've heard is absolutely awesome), another college who has started a VA curriculum, or going through the intern program, helping others learn and succeed is a wonderful feeling.

I have had a few individuals that have left the program due to family situations or they just didn't feel that they wanted to be a VA, but that's ok. At least they communicated to me so that I could forward projects on to others.

One way to grow this industry is to help others learn and they can get the word out about Virtual Assistants. If we don't want to hear about clients using VAs that didn't know certain aspects, why not teach them? It's one of the ways we can help our industry.

Hi

This is a great topic! I'm sitting here looking at in 4 hours the kids are home for summer break. My kids are older 10, 14, 22, but boy does it still impact my business. Ours is the house all the kids in the neighborhood go to, which is what you want, except if you run a business. Most years I'm prepared with videos, crafts, fun things and this year I just didn't have the time.

I just decided that this summer I'm going to get more help so I can enjoy it too. I was so meant to find this thread. Anyway ... sorry about that. Last day of school stress got the best of me.

I do use interns from Red Deer too. They can be fabulous. This year my VA has done all the research for my media leads. That will save me hours and hours and hours.

I will also often coach and then subcontract with VAs. That way they gain valuable skills along the way and it's a benefit to me as well, and they make some money. The only problem with this is then as their business grows, which is what I want for them from my coaching, then they get too busy for me. I haven't figured that one out yet. :rolleyes:

I do have to check into VANA's program.

Thanks!

I would love it if there could be a section on this forum that listed VA interns who would be interested in contract work and maybe a base fee or something. I know right now I'm working with a client who wants to have his phones answered and handled with the correct response/action on a daily basis, and I do not provide that service myself. I have been trying to figure out a way how I can outsource that area to someone else because he does not want to be working with several different VAs. He wants me to be the main contact for all contracted work and I really don't know if any VAs would be willing to just contract for that type of work.

Sue Rogers

www.easmyworkload.com

Sue,

We're not offering phone service at this time, but you can post an RFP. I'm sure you'll receive tons of responses. As a matter of fact, I do know that Cynthia Clark (Cynthia's Virtual Solutions) specializes in that.

Thanks Patty. I'll tell him that I have a lead and will also post a RFP for him if he still want's someone to answer his phones.

Sue Rogers

www.easmyworkload.com

Just thought I'd let everyone know that you can find more info on Red Deer College here and the VAintern program here. There's now approximately 50 people on our waiting list for the intern program so if anyone's interested in mentoring, just let me know ;).

Guest JuliasVAService

Hello:

I am on the VA intern waiting list. I just wanted to throw my name in the hat of the services that I offer which are transcription of digital audio of interviews, correspondence, multiple voice interviews; data entry; data processing, spreadsheet design. You can visit my website at http://www.juliasvirtualassistantservice.com to find out more information.

Hi Everyone,

On the subject of Finding Associates for your Multi-VA Business, how many of you have worked with VA Students or VA interns?

There are some fantastic VA Programs out there, with newer VA's looking to work with more established VA's. For me, VA students have been an awesome way to build up my team. In fact some VA Programs have practicums where you can utilize the services of a VA Student in order for them to get the "hands on" hours that they need for graduation.

What are your thoughts on this? Would you consider this as a way of building your team?

Michelle

Thanks, Patty -- how about those that are interested to be mentees? I'd like to find a VA veteran who can show me the ropes. We all have room for improvement :)

Anyone interested - I'm all ears. Looking forward to it. Maybe we can do a spin-off of "The Apprentice" ala VANA :thumbup:

Cheers!

Jocelyn

Just thought I'd let everyone know that you can find more info on Red Deer College here and the VAintern program here. There's now approximately 50 people on our waiting list for the intern program so if anyone's interested in mentoring, just let me know ;).

Morning!

I would love to be intern to a more experienced VA. Right now I can't afford to pay for training.

Thanks,

Beth

Thanks, Patty -- how about those that are interested to be mentees? I'd like to find a VA veteran who can show me the ropes. We all have room for improvement :)

Anyone interested - I'm all ears. Looking forward to it. Maybe we can do a spin-off of "The Apprentice" ala VANA :thumbup:

Cheers!

Jocelyn