Guest AnnaLisa Michalski

PayPal policy change

I am interested in web based processing...so there is no equipment to buy or lease. I have a client who has web based processing software through her merchant service and it is great!

Tawnya... sorry for your horrible situation with PayPal. How awful. I was shocked to read all this. I thought PayPal was fine. I've used it with my clients, too. Given that so far my business has brought me mostly project work, it hasn't been an issue.. but I can certainly see why it's a major concern ... especially for those dealing with larger clients & funds.

Dana,

Thanks for checking into the CalliPay. I'll be anxious to follow this thread for more information!

Libby

Wow, that is some story Tawnya, and a red flag to all of us.

You know what might be a good idea...to find a VOLUNTEER lawyer that would look over VA stuff or be available to give business advice should the need occur to any VA. It's probably unrealistic to think someone would do it for free, however, maybe an exchange of work might do it..maybe we could set up a task force to see if that is something that could prove beneficial. Perhaps some of our legal VA's know an attorney who might be willing to exchange/barter...after all, it would benefit him too.

Hmmmm. what do you all think? He may not be able to do litigation for us however, due to the fact that he may have to be licensed in a particular state, but I think he can still advise and recommend.

Food for Thought. Hope it gets resolved for you Tawnya...I'll keep you in my prayers...you don't deserve that, That's for sure! :grouphug:

Mary Beth

I have been saying that there needs to be a lawyer that does VA work. Can you imagine the practice this person could put together?

Guest AnnaLisa Michalski

I don't even know where to start, this thread got so scary. More horror stories to add to the ones I'd already heard--and here I thought I was overreacting!

Dana, I can't wait to see what you come up with. And thanks for the alternative recommendation, Tawnya. Many of my projects are short-term and low-risk (or I take checks when it's a local client I have a history with) but it's good to know there is another way to go. I'm with Denise, Julie. Who is your merchant account provider?

Well, after talking with Tawnya when she was in Charlotte, reading the post about the removal of any possibility of arbitration, and hearing some of your other horror stories, I am also going to jump ship with PayPal. I will probably use Authorize.net as my merchant account simply because they are so large and so well known. I also can get an AssistU discount with them on the transaction fees. All of my clients use Authorize.net.

Wow, that doesn't bode well for non-US citizens as well, who rely much on Paypal for payments from overseas clients. Since I heard a similar story last year I decided to change my credit card on file to a debit card and always clear the funds from my bank account on Paypal's file (the one where my debit card is tied to) to an account at another bank. That should make Paypal incapable of taking out anything from me without my consent if something like that happens.

Julie, who is your merchant account provider? I am rethinking this because seeing Authorize.net's rates, it will be quite a bit more than what I am paying PayPal. I know I will have to pay more; however, I don't want to have to end up paying much higher. Tawnya, I'll check out your company's rates.

Naomi,

What rates are you getting from Authorize.net (Merchant Warehouse)? I spoke with them the other day and they quoted me 2.19% for Visa/MC/Disc manual keyed transactions (plus .25 per transaction). PayPal charges 2.9% plus .30 per transaction. Are they quoting you higher than that?

Tawnya, what a horrible story. One thing I found with collection agencies is if you tell them you are disputing the matter they will put a stop on their file and not call you anymore. I found this out when I was the seller trying to collect from the client.

I wonder if you could turn around and sue Paypal for what they are doing to you.

Don't know if everyone knows but Paypal is owned by ebay. And ebay recently changed their disput policy to favour the buyer over the seller. So this paypal policy change may be an extension of that.

Dana - how was your meeting with Callipay? Does it sound like a good thing for us?

Jenn Kubilis

JK Business Services

Sorry for the slow response... have been out of town. I went with Practice Pay Solutions, which is a part of the Authorize.net network. If you want my affiliate link, let me know. ;)