topshelfva

Expression Web 2 remove " " from paragraphs

Hi all:

I have upgraded to Expression Web 2 from FP2003 and I am absolutely loving it! There is one thing I have not figured out yet and I hope someone will have the answer. Expression Web 2 sets up the paragaphs as

<p> </p>

In design view, the nbsp is there and I have to delete the space. Is there a way to make Expression Web 2 put paragraph coding automatically as

<p></p>

Any help would be appreciated. :)

I am also just getting into Expressions Web. The upgrade price from 2003 was so good and they said the next upgrade to Expressions 2 would be included. The more I work with it, the better I like it.

I haven't seen the issue that you have. Mine is working in styles and everytime I hit the enter key, to create a new paragraph, it starts a new style box. I'm just learning how to choose the one of those that I need and not fight it. I don't have the html with the letters showing that you do. That is how paragraphs were coded in FP 2003 and before.

Are you working with one of the templates? I have a book, but it isn't with me. I will check tonight to see if this is addressed.

Hi JudyAnn:

No, I don't work with pre-designed templates. I am sure it is somewhere in the default settings, which I simply have not found yet. I may not have to worry about it. I have noticed that when I start typing the nbsp code disappears, so it must be a placeholder until something is put there.

The styles does take a little getting use to and I have it almost down pat now. I am going to learn how to do CSS layouts next. Once you get the hang of the CSS in Expression Web, it is so easy! With FP2003 I had to do everything CSS by hand. I have not run into the problem of a new style automatically being set up with the paragraph. I'm not sure how to advise on that. I love this Expression Web 2 every day I use it.

I first upgraded to Expression Web and got the free upgrade to 2 just a few days ago. I love the fact that I will now be able to work on PHP pages on my hard drive. I don't have to be on the server. This gives me more incentive to learn PHP. I am purchasing the training DVD to learn all the ins and outs, also to possibly break some bad habits I may have, which I don't know I have right now. A sample training disk came with my Expression Web. I'm purchasing from that company because I was impressed with the quality of the training.

I can see why some Dreamweaver fans have given Expression Web a big thumbs up and are even starting to use it.

I re-read the title and realized you are already in the Expressions 2 version. Did MS send you the upgrade to "2" on a disk? I bought my upgrade from Amazon in order to get the disk.

I'm excited about the two sites I have worked with already. About 3 mo ago, it was 'all greek' and I just about gave up. A friend told me I would eventually need to stop thinking in tables. She said she had been the table queen and this was difficult for her to give up, but the 'div' element of CSS close to tables and actually gets easier to maniuplate. She is a high roller and uses Joomla!

Hi JudyAnn:

I bought my Expression Web from BestBuy and then went to the site to get my upgrade to Expression Web 2. I am like your friend, I was the table queen. I am excited about learning how to do everything from CSS layout. Its the one last thing I needed to learn with CSS. Well, at least I think it is the one last thing. I am sure I will discover something new that I never knew about before. :)

My 'key' just came in an email for working with Expressions Web 2. I have to say I am REALLY enjoying the regular Expressions Web. I got a book "Visual QuickStart Guide" for MS Expression Web. It is very tolerant of someone who has old habits, like layout tables and explains how Expressions is set up to help with the transition. I just accomplished a quick and dirty build using the CSS layout templates. But, I also went through the directions to make my own CSS layout template. I never thought I'd hear myself saying this, but it makes FrontPage feel kind of clunky. I miss WordArt and the Drawing Table, but that stuff would often float around on my pages and give me fits in different browers. Now, I just go out into the graphics program and make the graphic, then insert it.

Is Expressions 2 going to be enough better to take the risk of giving the first one up?

Naomi,

I am almost positive that any code with & symbol do not show up on websites when published. It is as you say a placeholder which converts into a space. I am unsure why it shows in the Design view as I personally use DreamWeaver. Have you tried using a test page by renaming when you save then uploading to your host?

Anthony: You are correct, it does not show up in websites. It also is just a placeholder. The minute I start typing, it disappears.

Judy: I couldn't say between Expression 2 and the first version. I waited to start exploring when I got the Expression 2. It looks all the same, except for a few wonderful things, such as the capability to work with PHP pages on your hard drive, etc.