I split this from another posting since it had moved on to the topic of websites.

Hi Becki and Dale:

I do like this template quite a bit. Did you get it the same place as the other one you had? This one sells your service in a bolder way. The only thing that you might want to adjust is the fact the visitor has to scroll right and left in order to read the full page. Otherwise, terrific site. :)

WOW! What a great looking website!!!! :thumbup:

And all those new clients? That is amazing! You guys are awesome! There is light at the end of that tunnel :P Definitely gives some of us hope that there are people out there who truly need us! :D

GREAT JOB and CONGRATS!!! :band:

Becki & Dale

Great new site and way to go with the "coach niche"!! :yay:

You guys are going places!!!! for sure!

kimmer ;)

Thanks for the comments about the new site! We launched it just before we went to the show. We have been dealing with business and executive coaches for a while now (target market) and felt that we needed something that made us stand out. We wanted coaches to know that we cater to them and that we know their industry. We ended up doing Assistance For Coaches and Assistants For Coaches...because sometimes "ance" and "ants" can sound the same.

Naomi - I ended up buying about 5000 website templates for myself (some are absolutely disgusting and some are great). What I did with this particular template was...I like the top masthead flash graphic, so I spliced it off a template and created the bottom part myself. Didn't like what the other template offered. So basically, it is all mine, except for the top.

This was the first website that I created myself so I wanted to make it easy on me. I can be "technically" challenged when it comes to web design so again, I don't think it's bad for my first stab. Dale had to fix the Flash graphic a bit, but other than that - I did it :) .

I know that many prefer to do sites from scratch (this would be my first choice), but if anyone ever needs a template let me know. This can be a great way to get a site up in a hurry. Plus you can make changes to suit your particular needs (like we did). We have about 5000 web templates (including flash, Photoshop, FrontPage and more). Perhaps in the future, I will put up a website dedicated to website templates. This can be beneficial to new VAs as well as established VAs looking for a quick solution to a problem. These templates would be affordably priced, probably $20 or less.

Again, thank you for your kind words.

:thumbup:

Hey Becki,

Nuttin wrong with templates at all!!! As you said you can mix and match them add your own style, whatever!!! A lot of the templates out there to purchase can be the same (not all), but you can make them your own!! Make them unique!

I also purchased quite a few 1000 templates in all formats awhile back, I'm working on a website to sell these along with e-books and some software!!

I'm a branchin out!! lol ;)

Nothing wrong with having a few extra streams of revenue I say!!!

kimmer :D

Hey Becki:

That is what I figured you did with the template. I was wondering if you had one specific resource you really liked. Buying 5,000 templates at one shot is not bad. I was thinking of relooking at this if I had a client that needed something down and dirty cheap. Do you have any specific resources you like?

I usually like designing the site so it is specific to the client; however, if they want to go cheap, cheap, cheap, well then . . . ;) I might as well not throw the money away.

P.S. It is beyond wonderful for your first stab at redesigning someone's template. Great job! :yay:

Congratulations x2 Becki and Dale!

First, congratulations again on your tremendous success at the trade show, and also for sharing your experience and advice with us all. Great ideas!

Second, congratulations on your new website - it looks great!

Wishing you all the success in the world!

Lori

:)

Congratulations again Becki and Dale!

I love the new site - I can't believe it's your first one Becki!! You did a great job!

:yay::yay::yay:

Diana

Hey - all you web designers amaze me! I have been teaching myself FrontPage (with some success I am proud to say!!! :thumbup: ), to redo my site and possibly offer it as a service down the line, but would love to know where everyone buys these templates (Naomi?, Becki?).

Becki/Dale - What a great team you are! I too would love to rent Dale... ;)

Hey Meredith:

That is what I am hoping Becki (or Kimmer) will come back and tell us where they found the best source for their prepacked templates. I design my own and have never used a prepackaged template. Pointers to good resources for future clients who would rather go cheap would be greatly appreciated. :) Becki, Kimmer?

I bought 1 set of my templates through Ebay (about 3500 templates (can't remember the exact number), hundreds of prefab logos (some good, some not so good), 500 ebooks and other misc. software) for about $9.52 US after the UK pound conversion. After I paid, they gave me a site to go to download them. They also provide full re-sale rights.

I bought them from William McClelland and his email address is extrachoice@hotmail.com. He is out of the UK and I found him to be AWESOME! The other set I bought from someone else, who I wouldn't recommend. I had to fight to get the download info, etc. William has great stuff!

Dale is also in the process of preparing to do a teleclass about Jumpstarting Your VA Practice. Perhaps this may be of interest to some of you.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I'm similar to Becki...

I purchased through Ebay 2 sets about 5000 templates, hundreds of logos, ebooks and other software, and I have full re-sale rights. Very good prices!!!

I'll have to look through my book marks to find the others! There's quite a few places I found a little better that ebay, but more expensive (worth it)

kimmer ;)

I would like to add my :penny:.

Using templates is not necessarily a bad thing or a cheap way out. I worked for a company 3 years ago that purchased a template and wound up spending +$30,000 for the entire project.

Some of the benefits of using a template:

1. Pre-formatted site - with a little or a lot of customization the site can be specific to each client. You can make each template unique. It does not have to take away from the uniqueness of the client's business.

2. Most good templates come with stock photography geared toward the kind of site that you are creating (assuming that you choose one with that general theme). This saves hundreds on the cost of the stock photos (anywhere from $25 - $500 per photograph) not to mention the time to research and get approval for the stock photography that you pick out.

3. It can be inexpensive on your end to buy and implement.

4. You can get a site up in as little as 4 hours or maybe even less (We did that about 3 weeks ago.)

5. You can gleen great ideas from other templates and utilize them.

6. Typically, the only people who know that your site is a template are other web designers. Chances are, if you are creating a web site for someone, they are not a web designer themselves.

7. I'm sure that there are other benefits to support this method as well as other drawbacks that can debunk the idea.

Anyway - just because it is not built from scratch doesn't make it a bad idea. I have seen plenty of "from scratch" sites that I would be horrified to tie my business name to.

My :penny:

Could not have said it better Dale!!!

That is exactly how I feel about the subject, just couldn't get it typed out in here!!

kimmer ;)