Hi Dale:

I wanted to clarify what I meant by cheap, in that the client picks out a template that they like from a prefabricated set of templates. That prefabricated template is only going to cost a few bucks in comparison to what you pointed out, the time for the designer to design a customized site specific to the client's business, researching and finding photos, etc.

I am amazed by what you were saying that a template website cost $30,000. I would have liked to have been that designer! LOL :)

The other thing is that more and more people are designing templates, so there is a wider variety. Just a little over a year ago you could surf the web and see the same template used over and over. That is not as much the case now, though as a designer, as you said, you can spot a template quickly. The average person may not.

I have a question for you on pricing, do you give the client a break on a website that is a prefabricated template, or do you charge the same amount? I would not know what would be correct and fair in pricing, since I am only now considering offering templates if a client absolutely wants a prefabricated website.

The other question is what about copyright? If you have the right to resale, do you also have the right to the copyright so noone else can use it? What do you do for your portfolio as far as attribution since someone else, or another company, actually designed the site?

Any feedback on that would be greatly appreciated. :)

I have a question for you on pricing, do you give the client a break on a website that is a prefabricated template, or do you charge the same amount? I would not know what would be correct and fair in pricing, since I am only now considering offering templates if a client absolutely wants a prefabricated website.

Each web project is unique. It depends what the clients want. If you have something at your fingertips that you can tweak and adjust then you can pass the savings along to the clients. I hate to be touchy with the word "prefabricated" but you can take just elements of templates and use them. The end result doesn't necessarily have to have a prefabricated quality, but a brand new look and feel, one that is unique and unlike any other.

The other question is what about copyright? If you have the right to resale, do you also have the right to the copyright so noone else can use it? What do you do for your portfolio as far as attribution since someone else, or another company, actually designed the site?

No you do not have the copyright on the template itself/as is. These templates can be resold at anytime by you or anyone else. Again, when you change elements, it becomes unique to your business or to your client's business. If you change them, it can be your work. As far as a portfolio, because the template does not usually look the same way, you claim it as your own. Perfect example: you purchase a ton of stock photography from Comstock and use it on a site that you created yourself from scratch, do you say that this site is brought to you by Comstock or by your company?

HTH,

:D:thumbup::D:thumbup:

Thanks for the info Dale. :)

I hate to be touchy with the word "prefabricated" but you can take just elements of templates and use them. The end result doesn't necessarily have to have a prefabricated quality, but a brand new look and feel, one that is unique and unlike any other.

I have a tendency to be a little direct about my opinions at time, which I like it when people let me know I am being a little too direct. Since this is a new area for me and a new thought process for me, I am not sure I know how to communicate well information about these "prefabricated" templates without my bias coming through.

Can you educate me a little further on how you would recommend I communicate the use of these templates to clients who want to use them, without my obvious bias coming through. How do you communicate to your clients about using these templates for their sites?

We could almost move this into another thread since this has moved off the orginal subject of your fantastic tradeshow. I'll do that later tonight. I am swamped today with work and came in as a breather to go through the ton of postings! LOL Then back to work!

Can you educate me a little further on how you would recommend I communicate the use of these templates to clients who want to use them, without my obvious bias coming through. How do you communicate to your clients about using these templates for their sites?

When a client asks for a website to be built you can offer one of two options:

1st - A site built from scratch...everything about the site is totally unique and the time to implement this project will take much longer. Hence costing more.

2nd - You can offer them a site that is pre-designed (not necessarily using the word "template") which will then be customized to specifically match your client's tastes and preferences, even changing out any stock photography that may already be there. With this option, you can offer a "discounted" rate (basically means less time) because the majority of the work has already been completed (some coding, general layout, etc.)

Again, I am not an advocate of using templates ALL THE TIME. At times templates provide a great alternative.

HTH,

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Great Dale! :)

That helps me a lot. I like the word pre-designed (why didn't I think of that), because that gives me the image (and the client), that it is still designed. Something that is designed, can be redesigned if needed.

I am going to print your suggestions out and practice it so it feels more natural to me when I talk about it.

Thanks for your time in educating me on how to better communicate in this area. :)

Hey Becki/Kimmer/Dale/others with template buying experience-

Have you found that some of the "templates" were actually images and could not be opened in FP as anything other than an image, or am I such a newbie to this web design world that I'm missing something? :huh:

Ahhh...must be part of PhotoShop? Since I haven't invested in that yet, does anyone know of anyother way/program?

Becca,

Does this sound like the same group of templates you received? Seems too good to be true for this price, don't you think? I know I saw a few of these templates for sale on various websites for $40.00+. I'm not used to buying from Ebay so I'm very skeptical.

Ebay Seller of Web Templates

Thanks for your help!

Lynne

Lynne,

I bought mine from Ebay username: pcbuild2004. William is awesome and great to deal with. He has an auction now at Website Templates. His price is about $13 US. I recommend him highly.

The person you have selected might be good, but I loved William's service.

thumbup.gif

My site is actually from a free template I got off the web and tweaked a bit, changed a few things, etc... It works, provides the needed information, etc etc. Eventually I'll have someone make a better one, but I'm pretty happy with it for now. But I'm one of those people who don't like busy website. I just want text and information... LOL... the accountant in my showing I suppose...

However, R&D... GREAT site... it's right up the coaching industry's alley....

Hi peeps,

New member here!

I was just searching on google and I typed in my own ebay user name, pcbuild2004, and amazingly came across this forum.

I am the seller of the website templates on ebay that some of you are talking about on here and I thought Id tell you a little about what the package is all about.

Firstly, I have a download area where over 2.6 gb of website templates can be downloaded. These can be sold individually without breaching any copyrights. You start to breach copyrights if you sell them all together.

You are free to use these websites as they are, because you just need to add the text. Flash graphics are part of the package.

I sell these for only 6.99 GBP not including postage because the CDs are sent too as not everyone has broadband yet.

I have a basic website at www.uksitehost.net selling these templates off ebay and for all of you that would want to sample them, I will waive the postage fees.

FREE POSTAGE, Sound good?

I see that someone thinks that my package is too good to be true. Well I have seen desperate Ebayers selling their website templates for sillyprices, i.e. 25p upwards, they offer no support, whereas I will give everyone that purchase my templates FULL HTML and website design support for no extra charge.

Anyway, thanks for making us feel famous for a day, lol.

pcbuild2004

William McClelland and Alison McKenzie.