If you do a search here, you'll find various posts regarding Elance and Odesk. As far as a license for your business, you need to check your local government and see what their requirements are. They differ from city to city, state to state, and country to country.

You might also want to go to the "introduce yourself and your VA business" area and tell us a little bit about yourself.

It's great to see you here Linda!

Every city is different in their requirements, so check out what the legalities are in your area. I also recommnend joining your local Chamber of Commerce.

Best of luck! :)

First I believe you would need to contact the Secretary of State about your business name, if using a DBA other than your own name, and then go from there to obtain your license once the business name is approved if available in your state.

If using your personal name, then in the United States, a social security number is all that is required-but not sure from there depending on location about the license. For my tree service I must have a license, as a VA, I do not-although I did have to go through the SofState and filed taxes using my SSN.

Sorry that I and others above that responded couldn't be of much help, but not knowing your locale makes it difficult to be of assistance.

Good luck, fun process!