Sign in to follow this  
Pam Ivey

Craigslist Removes HTML Ads

Wow, I thought Craigslist was only thinking about not allowing HTML flyers in their ads but without notice, it seems that they have been flagged and removed. It's such a shame because it really was a good lead generator for one of my clients in North Carolina in particular. Back to the drawing board...

Cheers,

Pam

The flyers are cool, but they do use a lot of bandwidth and are rather commercial appearing which defeats the theory of Craigslist. I've gotten good real estate action just by using Craigslist layout recommendations and/or a basic 'sales page/pitch for content. If your client is using it as a lead generator, then different text content with links to successful transactions, listings or a website could be listed frequently. CL will complain about the same ad being posted too often, but each listing or topic would constitute a different ad. That would work for property for sale; then he/she could be listed in the services offered department as well.

Does your client use the ads part of MySpace? Or the events for open houses, etc.

In today's fast market where people, when they can buy something, want it NOW and want instant gratification, a good solid sales statement/bio may be quite effective. With a really good title. I click on the titles that intrigue or say something to me.

Hey Pam,

Are you sure Craig's List has already banned the html ads? I don't think that has taken effect yet as I'm not having problems with my html ads in CL for my clients that we post in there. Perhaps it is something regional? Some flag happy users?

I've had problems with certain geographical areas in CL and I have given up on posting ads for those clients as flagging was running rampant and really for no reason, for both html ads and plain ads (I've talked about it on my Active Rain blog a bit). It was mostly a "we hate Realtors" campaign and so they were flagging anything that looked like it came from an agent, and some of my clients even got harrassed. It was a nightmare. The lovely thing about CL is that it is self moderated by it's users and if one person decides to flag an ad because they don't like you or because they feel like it, then they will. And "powers that be" at CL don't really look that closely at what is getting flagged and seem to just remove it. It is irritating.

Again html ads seem to be posting just fine for most of my CL using clients right now. So I'm not sure when this html ban is happening for sure. But I'll be getting them ready.

Hey Pam,

Are you sure Craig's List has already banned the html ads? I don't think that has taken effect yet as I'm not having problems with my html ads in CL for my clients that we post in there. Perhaps it is something regional? Some flag happy users?

I've had problems with certain geographical areas in CL and I have given up on posting ads for those clients as flagging was running rampant and really for no reason, for both html ads and plain ads (I've talked about it on my Active Rain blog a bit). It was mostly a "we hate Realtors" campaign and so they were flagging anything that looked like it came from an agent, and some of my clients even got harrassed. It was a nightmare. The lovely thing about CL is that it is self moderated by it's users and if one person decides to flag an ad because they don't like you or because they feel like it, then they will. And "powers that be" at CL don't really look that closely at what is getting flagged and seem to just remove it. It is irritating.

Again html ads seem to be posting just fine for most of my CL using clients right now. So I'm not sure when this html ban is happening for sure. But I'll be getting them ready.

That is the tough call for a listing like this. When I used to list my VA services, I could still keep one click between me and the responder. They had to go thru the email option. When someone wants to get their information out to potential customers/clients, the info is also in front of the kooks. And, the "flags rule" situation isn't easy to navigate.

Hi Pam, & Megan,

I haven't had a problem yet with my CL ads yet, and post quite a bit in California, which I thought might get huge flags. So for now, I'm just going to do what I can. It seems VFlyer is trying to get as compliant as possible too. Keeping fingers crossed. :P

Laura Monroe daisy