rotunda50

Bookkeeping

I am a bookkeeper. Have been for years, but on a local face to face basis with my clients. I need to expand and this 'virtual' world may provide the answer. However, I am not sure how it works on the 'virtual' basis.

I have searched or researched several 'virtual' bookkeeping sites and I am no wiser.

Can anyone give me a general overview of how this works? How does the client send me his data? How do I pay 'his' bills?

Thanking all who reply.

Rotunda50

For us, it depends on the client and what fits them best. We really just go with the flow. Fax, courier, email, dropping off at my office, whatever. As for how you pay his bills, be careful with that, but if you have authorization and everything is good, you can do it online or print checks and send to them to sign and mail out, or they can do that part and you just do the entry. Every client is different, in my opinion :)

I agree with Candy. I worked for a non-profit that used a virtual bookkeeper and that's how we worked with her. We faxed invoices, she cut checks and sent them back to be signed and mailed. It was a great set up. She also paid our credit card bills online.

Angi.

Fortunately I have not been asked to take care of paying bills, although I do provide clients with a weekly cashflow analysis prior to the date that they pay bills, so that they can best judge what to pay and when if prioritizing is an issue for them.

I do take the initiative to create memorized transactions for their recurring bills, so they can just click on it and pay.

When it comes to reconciling their bank accounts, myself and my clients have found it more beneficial to allow me 'limited' access to their online banking. Therefore eliminating at least one task per month that they must remember-getting me that info! This way I just grab it myself the first of every month and send them an email when done.

I don't like to remotely print off reports on their end, so I just save all rec summaries & details in an excel book for them.

Some clients are on their main computers during the daytime, so I log into their system in the evening so as not to disturb their work day. Others I have an arrangement on what day of the week, am or pm, that the main computer is mine.

Good luck in your quest!

Cathy: Do you use logmein for this? So many of my clients are still at the mailing-QB-back-&-forth stage and I'm curious about your experiences logging in remotely. I've priced out QB hosting services like Swizznet, but the price is just too high for so many small businesses.

Deb

Some clients are on their main computers during the daytime, so I log into their system in the evening so as not to disturb their work day. Others I have an arrangement on what day of the week, am or pm, that the main computer is mine.

I, er... "hear" that there will be someone you all know, love and trust offering QB hosting by the end of the year.

I don't want to be tied to my computer at night or at specific times, so I won't take clients that use LogMeIn or GoToMyPC. Plus my servers rock ;)

Cathy: Do you use logmein for this? So many of my clients are still at the mailing-QB-back-&-forth stage and I'm curious about your experiences logging in remotely. I've priced out QB hosting services like Swizznet, but the price is just too high for so many small businesses.

Deb

Hi Deb,

I use logmein (the free version) and love it. I have also tried remote QB access more recently-but found it's not really any easier to log into, plus I lose that option to save excel workbooks using the latter option as I no longer have access to their desktop-only QB. So I have again reverted back to logmein for my own QB use when I'm on vacation or on the road. I tried logging into the remote QB while I was at my accountants office-and spent more time fixing the screen (kept bleeping out)...not to mention cost of accountant waiting for my info! I use the free logmein-love it. Of course you can pay for more specialized logmein versions, but I haven't found that need yet to justify the cost. Mainly IT professionals get the paid versions.

Hope that helps!

I, er... "hear" that there will be someone you all know, love and trust offering QB hosting by the end of the year.

I don't want to be tied to my computer at night or at specific times, so I won't take clients that use LogMeIn or GoToMyPC. Plus my servers rock ;)

Hey Candy...

I'm interested in more about this subject. Can you give more specifics on how this works? I did try the remote QB, but still only one person at a time can use...just like logmein. So if you have something that both can work on at the same time-I sure would be interested in learning more...I am getting a tad tired of evening work myself :- Actually, to be more specific for you-I signed up for the free version called QB online (for free 60 day trial period), then cost of approximately $3.99/month for only QB access, $7.99/month for entire desktop access.

Yet with this, still only one person can use the main computer. While I tried logging in while my daughter was in my office 'supposedly' answering phone calls & playing Webekins or whatever that is called, the screen would turn green if she touched the keyboard, and it would take me forever to get control back.

Maybe not the same thing-hoping not, so interested of course! Many thanks.

Not the same thing... yes, you can work on it at same time. It's awesome. We have a few bugs to work out and I think he wants a certain software. I'll have more info in a few months, if not sooner. We have to make sure it will work how I envision it (I check, double check, triple check everything)

Not the same thing... yes, you can work on it at same time. It's awesome. We have a few bugs to work out and I think he wants a certain software. I'll have more info in a few months, if not sooner. We have to make sure it will work how I envision it (I check, double check, triple check everything)

Candy...you ARE the bookkeeping goddess...I have no doubts about that, so again, definately interestered. Just hope it won't be the same as QB online, where it is remote...yet still affects the main computer. Like I said, my daughter doing Webekins...lol...whatever that is...fully affected my ability to log into QB online although it shouldn't have, yet it did. If you have something where I CAN do daytime work-I am still so interested d/t those clients that are accessing the main computer as well. That would be my perfect world...and am still in search of. Yet for now, I continue to log in when convenient for me and clients. Although, absolutely, I would LOVE daytime hours as well...so pray tell :)

Candy...I understand the 'both' being able to work in QB at the same time-hence the QB online. But....what about the rest. What effects is it going to have on the main computer?....green screen...blank screen....can one work in excel or send emails while one is working on QB? This I'd like to know-as while I booted her off, she was unable to perform any remote functions. Because if this is the case-not worth the money-not any different than logmein or gotomypc. Again-your input on how this will work is greatly valued!

I'm sorry Candy:

I think I'm still hesitant-that is what QB online promised me "to be able to work at the same time together'...which is a great thing-yet it affects the overall

functionality of the main computer. So if there are 'bugs', I hope they get worked out...otherwise...paying for QB online is a loss versus logmein-as the result is the same-only one person can log in at one time-cuz QB online proved to me already they were not any better that logmein.

Let me know what you got in the making-but sorry, I don't see it happening unless you got something else in the making where one can access QB while another is working in publisher-and no one has interference on the 'main' computer.

I look forward to learning more about this!

Wow ... I'm starting to get confused now. When QB is "hosted," doesn't that mean that it would live on Candy's server and neither my computer nor my client's would be the "main" computer (as Cathy described), but both of us could access QB at will? What about printing reports, though, could I only print to my printer?

Cathleen, I honestly have lost you in your past posts. More info will come IF it becomes a reality. I don't know if we will open it up to the general public or not.

Deb, You got it. It is housed on the server, you "dial in" (for lack of a better term) into the server, not from one computer to the other. And yes, most people can print to their printer directly. :)

Like I said, it was just a teaser. I don't have all the details and we may decide not to do it :) There just aren't any good options out there now IMHO for QB hosting and I'd like to offer something that is actually good service at a decent price.

** Overly simplified explanation **

Having QB hosted remotely just means the COMPANY DATA FILE is hosted on a remote computer...much like having it on a computer at your office and having multiple users able to access the file at the same time. Each computer that accesses the data file still needs to have QB installed (same version as the data file - can't access a 2008 Pro file with 2007 Pro software, etc.) to be able to use it. Having QB hosted does absolutely nothing to the main computer because the company data file is no longer on YOUR (or your client's) computer. Everyone gets to continue on with their work as normal without interruptions.