Dana Fortier

Some learn their lessons quicker than others

My Psycho Ex Client hired a new VA. I just got an IM from the new VA saying she just fired the Psycho because of all the things I spelled out.

I told her (new/ex VA) it sure didn't take her long to learn the lessons it took me almost a year to learn!

Celebrating is ensuing.

My Psycho Ex Client hired a new VA. I just got an IM from the new VA saying she just fired the Psycho because of all the things I spelled out.

I told her (new/ex VA) it sure didn't take her long to learn the lessons it took me almost a year to learn!

Celebrating is ensuing.

Good for her and for you! I guess he will have to clean up his act in order to find another VA or else he is going to go thru us all like hot cakes.

Someone like that will just lay blame at the VAs doorstep. Karma will always bite back! LOL I wonder if he'll wake up eventually?

Glad you lost him Dana.

Dana, I am glad you fired that client and I am glad the new VA did too!

I just had a similar situation happen over the last few weeks. The client asked if I knew this VA and I did, I told him I met her in person and she was extremely nice. He said, yes, she is a good person. And also mentioned that he hired her a while back for a project...

I spoke to this VA and mentioned I was working with the client and she said he is a nice guy.

I then spoke to her and said I was having trouble with him and she said he wasn't "trainable".

I then spoke to her again and said I called it quits and then she told me oh really, "I fired him too"!

After she had said he was a nice guy I thought she liked working with him but little did I know.....

I feel so much better with that weight off my shoulders and also to learn of her situation helps me understand it wasn't just me.

The client asked if I knew this VA and I did, I told him I met her in person and she was extremely nice. He said, yes, she is a good person. And also mentioned that he hired her a while back for a project...

I spoke to this VA and mentioned I was working with the client and she said he is a nice guy.

I then spoke to her and said I was having trouble with him and she said he wasn't "trainable".

I then spoke to her again and said I called it quits and then she told me oh really, "I fired him too"!

After she had said he was a nice guy I thought she liked working with him but little did I know.....

I often ask these questions:

1. Knowing what you know now, would you still choose to work with this individual?

2. Did you have any problems receiving payments on time? Instructions? or Work product/completed work?

3. Were you satisfied with all aspects of your working relationship?

Sometimes even the best referrals can turn into duds. :unsure:

~Ruth

Sometimes true colors take a while to come out in both VA's and clients. There's always going to be a "honeymoon" period with any relationship. In fact I was talking with a potential client at a networking event on Tuesday, and we discussed this and he asked me how I get around that, and I said that I believe in constant communication with my clients throughout the first 30-60 days - not just weekly or be-weekly checkins, but 2-3 times per week, just to make sure we're both on the same track. He loved that.

I had a client at my house for 2 hours yesterday for "Strategic Planning". I know I'm "virtual", but for some reason I have a lot of local clients - those mentioned, and then there's four others. But you know what - they treat me very good, and they don't have me coming to their offices all the time. But its nice to know that if I have to, I can.

The local VA I sub for, I go to her office and do merge letters when she needs them done because we've found that when I do them, zip them and then send them to her, something gets "lost in translation". She lives near the Y I belong to, so when I do that, I go to the Y, then we meet for breakfast, and then I go back to her house, merge the letters, and usually she goes out and runs errands to stay out of my way.

I found out last night I'm one of about 6 VA's that have had issues with my ex client. I also found out that this ex client contacted every member of another state's local VA organization and bad-mouthed me and then hired a member of that organization who only lasted for one day, and then the VA fired the client who then went on to hire another VA who lasted less than a month.

Hearing things like that make me wonder what's wrong with me. Why did it take me 9 months to learn my lesson, when two others lasted a day and a matter of weeks?

Then I stop beating myself up and realize that its because I try to make the best of bad situations - and that was BAAAAAAAD!

But, this client will hopefully be getting her due soon.

Hi

I sometimes think it's almost good in a way that you gave it that long. You really tried everything and feel good about your decision. If not, you'd be second guessing yourself.

It does help to know it's not us. I always take everything so personally, even though I know better. Sometimes it helps me grow, sometimes it just makes wasted energy that I could be focusing on other things. But it just won't get out of my head. That's why when I know I gave it my all, I can let it go somewhat easier.

And like here, sometimes it's just the client. They expect the moon and more.

Thanks!