Sign in to follow this  
frances.palaschuk@rogers.com

Are you listed in dmoz?

Evening,

DMOZ?? Geezz, don't get me going on that subject! I listed my site with them about ...what 6 months ago? And I am still waiting for somebody out there to say ""Yes, lets put VMA on our directory!""

All I know is that I followed their instructions to the letter, proper sub directory etc.... and nothing... :nopity:

Aggravated?.. Naaa... PO.. Yes!

Elenora

Evening,

DMOZ?? Geezz, don't get me going on that subject! I listed my site with them about ...what 6 months ago? And I am still waiting for somebody out there to say ""Yes, lets put VMA on our directory!""

All I know is that I followed their instructions to the letter, proper sub directory etc.... and nothing... :nopity:

Aggravated?.. Naaa... PO.. Yes!

Elenora

I am a dmoz editor and if you haven't heard from the editor after 2-3 months, a very nice remember email to them sometimes pushes the process further through ;)

Tawnya

Same here.... I've followed up every two to three moneths and nothing.

I have placed in one local category and then another and both time been told its the wrong local category by different editors... there was no local category closer to my place than these two!

You basically have to add your link every 3 months and hope for the best or in my case now (except for clients), I am not bothering at all.

Cheers,

Chris.

I was an editor for dmoz and many of them (I did) keep throw away emails for these reminders. It wasn't recommended when I was editing to even respond to them.

The editors who weren't tech support people sitting at the computer all day and editing between calls or retired were buried in submissions.

In addition to submissions, editors were often looking for sites on their own, the spiders were trading sites, so some were auto submitted, and some people spammed the categories. If the internal spiders found a site down, it was flagged and removed for review. That meant more checking for the editor.

I got busy and distracted, didn't edit enough and lost my place. The word distraction says a lot; I haven't missed it.

If the auto spiders don't find me, I don't worry about them. If I'm on there fine, if not, fine. Before the search engines could move as fast as they do now, sometimes it took a couple months for a new site that was reviewed and listed to be picked up by Yahoo or Google. I wonder now at the value of the exclusive listing...your site has to be reviewed and isn't supposed to be listed with in appropriate content, pages under construction, etc.

Guest TerryGreen
I am a dmoz editor and if you haven't heard from the editor after 2-3 months, a very nice remember email to them sometimes pushes the process further through ;)

Tawnya

2-3 months???? Try 2-3 years. I too, submitted to dmoz ... and followed the guidelines to the "t". I'm still not listed.

I'd love to finally get in there ... are you open to bribes ;)

I haven't had any problems. I'm listed on their directory. I couldn't tell you how long it took, but I didn't have to send any follow up or reminders. I guess I was just lucky and submitted it at the right time.

Hi Frances...

The fact is I wouldn't break your back over it. In the beginning Dmoz did well as it continued to be human edited and the SE's lapped it up. These days they aren't worth the effort as their is too many people on their books who don't know what a good site is (maybe a little bias in there).

Then there are some of the larger companies and top internet marketers who have 5 to 10 or more people who are editors there, so you know what happens to the competition in these categories. Yes I personally know this first hand from conversstions.

Lastly there is the fact that dmoz has not kept up with the times. They could quite easily weed out 90% of websites before they got to the editors with decent scripts to check a websites credentials, many other top directories do.

So you get a link on a generic ten year old directory where you get no pagerank. Better off buying a link on a similar age resource within your industry with a decent pagerank which will cost you $30 to $50. Do you way more good on the SE's than dmoz ever will... if you get a link in their before you retire! :whistlin:

Cheers,

Chris.

I am a dmoz editor and if you haven't heard from the editor after 2-3 months, a very nice remember email to them sometimes pushes the process further through

Tawnya

Live and learn like they say... Ok, I will give it a try.. Who knows!

Thanks!

Elenora